TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model S 60 and 60D to be removed

Discussion in 'Model S' started by vigge50, Mar 17, 2017.

?

what reason do you think about Tesla discontinue its cheapest model S

1. Make room for producing Model 3

88.9%
  2. They would like to design something new about Model s

11.1%
  1. vigge50

vigge50 Member

Just got a email from Tesla that said that they will remove 60 and 60D for Model S because of that it was to few that order it and that they want to simplify the process.

Could it be that to many order it without update it to 75 wish made them deliver a lot of batteries that was never paid or could it just be that they don't want that the base Model 3 to have longer range then Model S?

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

I'm curious if it's region specific....
    Any specific reason why you got this e-mail? Do you currently have a Model S 60/D on order?

• Like x 2
  3. gabeincal

gabeincal Enjoying Napa life the electric way

Interesting. This should make mine appreciate a bit :) I would think it is probably what OP suggests, too few order the upgrade (since they even lowered it to make it more appealing) and therefore the margins are not great on the cars...

• Like x 2
  4. George Jetson

George Jetson Member

I think it's a market segmentation thing. The price of what people are actually going to pay for their Model 3 reasonably optioned was getting too close to a vanilla S60. They will move ordinary people to the Model 3 and the well-heeled to the more expensive Model S75. I'm glad I pulled the trigger when I did.

• Like x 7
  5. gabeincal

That's a very good point too. Make a reasonably large gap between M3 and MS... Makes total sense.

• Helpful x 1
  6. vigge50

vigge50 Member

No, don't have any order but I use to get news from Tesla. I know that I'm not alone in Sweden to get it so it would be good to know if this for some reson is just for Europe or if some pone in US also got it?

• Like x 1
  7. vigge50

vigge50 Member

Should of course have mentioned that it will be removed the 16th April, can't edit the first post.

8. George Jetson

George Jetson Member

I haven't received the email in the US, but I can confirm it is across the board.

9. vigge50

vigge50 Member

• Funny x 1
  10. Buddy

Buddy Member

Base price of the Model S just keeps going up.

Coincidence that the gap in prices between the Model III and the S grows?

11. Max*

Max* Not Banned

Too few people ordering it? It seems a lot of newer members on TMC have a 60/60D listed in their signatures. Sure it doesn't prove a widespread phenomena, but it's hard to believe that "too few" people are actually ordering it. Dunno.

• Like x 4
  12. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

The 60 was removed from the lineup before. It was brought back in an effort to convert a lot of Model 3 reservations into Model S sales. Now that the Model 3 is approaching, it isn't "needed" in the lineup anymore.

The April 15th deadline allows potential buyers to get one while they are still offered. It will still take a few more months for deliveries and then the Model 3 should be out.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  13. Max*

Max* Not Banned

That's the funniest thing I read all week. You expect the Model 3 to be on time! ;)

• Funny x 4
    • Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  14. mikerathbun

mikerathbun Supporting Member

I am not sure I totally buy the "most customers ultimately end up upgrading to 75 kWh" quote from the Electrek article. It seems much more likely that they were filling packs with expensive batteries and hardly anyone upgraded when they introduced a lower upgrade price. I haven't come close to needing the extra range and am 100% satisfied with my 60 and probably wouldn't upgrade even if they lowered the unlock price to $500. I also haven't seen many people purchasing the base model. My 66k car quickly rose to 85k with a few clicks of the mouse.

• Like x 8
    • Funny x 1
  15. Rbcnr

Rbcnr Member

Agreed. I think a lot of us expected this move. As per the article, tesla said most eventually upgraded to 75 - def not true. Glad I jumped in when I did as well!

• Like x 2
  16. gabeincal

If the upgrade price was 2-3k I would consider. Nothing above that. For $500, you could sign me up right now ;)

• Like x 3
  17. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I agree, well, except I'd upgrade for $500.

• Like x 2
  18. Max*

Max* Not Banned

Sorry, that's now how economics works.

You're assuming that since supply of the 60/60D is drained, that demand is going to go up. But demand would only go up at a fixed price on the 60/60D, not at a new higher price of $19k more as your example shows. With the new higher price, demand goes back down, so you'd have to reduce your price.

In any case, I don't see this changing the value [much? at all] of any 60/60D models. Once you drive it off the lot, you depreciated it a ton. Add to that the $7,500 fed tax credit and any applicable state tax credits. And when you go to sell it, you'll be getting pennies on the dollar.

19. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

MY bet would be the complete opposite in that hardly anyone is upgrading the 60 to 75 and they are losing money putting in the 75 batteries so they are cutting out the model. It wont be long that they will probably start making models without AP2 and FSD because it never made any sense to me to that they install thousands in hardware and hope people would activate those functions later.

• Like x 1
  20. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

This is for market differentiation. It will be hard to justify Model 3, when you can get Model S with similar range for almost the same price.
    Not to mention, it costs Tesla exactly the same if you buy a 60 or 75, they just get paid less for 60 - plus, I don't think Tesla's claim of "60 isn't selling" is believable!

• Like x 2