Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 60 and 60D to be removed

what reason do you think about Tesla discontinue its cheapest model S

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure I totally buy the "most customers ultimately end up upgrading to 75 kWh" quote from the Electrek article. It seems much more likely that they were filling packs with expensive batteries and hardly anyone upgraded when they introduced a lower upgrade price. I haven't come close to needing the extra range and am 100% satisfied with my 60 and probably wouldn't upgrade even if they lowered the unlock price to $500. I also haven't seen many people purchasing the base model. My 66k car quickly rose to 85k with a few clicks of the mouse.
I guess playing with the truth is becoming the American way and Tesla's claim is just as insulting to our intelligence as some of the other BS in the news these days. It makes perfect sense that the 60 disappears with the 3 on the horizon, but why insult our intelligence. Hopefully discounted upgrade to 75 will soon be considered now that there is no $6500 price point at purchase to "protect."

Oh no. I meant that after I upgraded features and bought things like AP and FSD my 66k car became an 85k car. Meaning they are quoting the car costing 66k, but I don't know anyone who didn't pimp it up with expensive upgrades. If I get anything out of it when I decide to sell I will be shocked. I definitely understand luxury car resale economics to know that money is gone.
If you knew me you would be able to say you actually know one person who bought a "stripper." Carbon fiber trim, glass roof and leather seating is all I put on my 60, which nets out to about $65,000 after fed tax credit. I probably am one of the few buyers who didn't spring for self-driving but wife and I didn't want it -- and don't regret the decision. We budgeted $100,000 for the S and a stripper Model 3, a budget we should be able to stick to, especially since we don't want self-driving on the 3 either. The one possible budget breaker is a bigger battery, since a software limited option doesn't seem likely and I'd like some flexibility for the future, especially as the battery degrades.

I also don't believe the "most people upgrade anyway" statement. Seems the opposite is true. Here's Elon on the Aug 2016 call talking about the margin impact of 60s that don't upgrade. So by eliminating the software-limited 60, can push margins from 15-20% to 20-25%.

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 2.12.52 PM.png

If you knew me you would be able to say you actually know one person who bought a "stripper." Carbon fiber trim, glass roof and leather seating is all I put on my 60, which nets out to about $65,000 after fed tax credit. I probably am one of the few buyers who didn't spring for self-driving but wife and I didn't want it -- and don't regret the decision. We budgeted $100,000 for the S and a stripper Model 3, a budget we should be able to stick to, especially since we don't want self-driving on the 3 either. The one possible budget breaker is a bigger battery, since a software limited option doesn't seem likely and I'd like some flexibility for the future, especially as the battery degrades.
I bought one with zero options just $67200 out the door. There are some of us who buy this way, and I find it just fine.

The MX60 was a great deal while it lasted as well.
Yeah it was. I would have purchased an X60D had it been available in November, but I'm still happy with my S60.
I bought one with zero options just $67200 out the door. There are some of us who buy this way, and I find it just fine.
I'm sure there are lots of us. I did pano roof plus EAP, with no other options. I do wish I could have gotten the new seats, but I wanted a December delivery to get my tax refund sooner. Maybe I'll get lucky and find those seats from a part-out someday.

I smell an announcement of some sort in late April, around the Model S. I'm suspect an interior refresh, potentially with the oft discussed HUD.

The M60 April push is one very strong hint. And I got a call the other day, asking me to look at upgrading to a 100D.

Tesla will need to maintain a strong S and X order Book when the 3 hits the road. And so they need some really compelling differentiation to justify the price difference.

Having just received my Model S 60D last weekend, I must say I'm thrilled I made the cut. Considering speed and power is on par with the 75D (same car), the 60D struck me as great value for the money. Perfect for my max round trips which is from CT to Manhattan at around 55 miles each way, and supercharger at the midway point.

This is very clearly done to provide differentiation to the Model 3.
However, I must say, considering how adequate the non-performance Tesla is with a 60 Kwh usable pack, I'm not terribly convinced at a 74k starting price for the additional 15kwh...

Reactions: mikerathbun
I smell an announcement of some sort in late April, around the Model S. I'm suspect an interior refresh, potentially with the oft discussed HUD.

The M60 April push is one very strong hint. And I got a call the other day, asking me to look at upgrading to a 100D.

Tesla will need to maintain a strong S and X order Book when the 3 hits the road. And so they need some really compelling differentiation to justify the price difference.

+1 to this! I know with the removal of something another something is on the way! But can't say the same for the vented seats.....

Reactions: Rbcnr
Having just received my Model S 60D last weekend, I must say I'm thrilled I made the cut. Considering speed and power is on par with the 75D (same car), the 60D struck me as great value for the money. Perfect for my max round trips which is from CT to Manhattan at around 55 miles each way, and supercharger at the midway point.

This is very clearly done to provide differentiation to the Model 3.
However, I must say, considering how adequate the non-performance Tesla is with a 60 Kwh usable pack, I'm not terribly convinced at a 74k starting price for the additional 15kwh...

Same here, took delivery last Friday and plan to keep it for long I would probably consider the upgrade if tesla lowers the price below 3k, but don't see that happening.

Just got a email from Tesla that said that they will remove 60 and 60D for Model S because of that it was to few that order it and that they want to simplify the process.

Could it be that to many order it without update it to 75 wish made them deliver a lot of batteries that was never paid or could it just be that they don't want that the base Model 3 to have longer range then Model S?

I have two co-workers who bought 60s. One was a 60D and the other a rear drive only. They have no intentions to pay for the 75 upgrade. They are already getting most of the benefits of the larger battery even without paying for it such as more power than an actual 60 would have and they can charge to 100% every day without risking battery degradation since it's really only 85% of the actual 75 battery.

I think you're on to something. I think it's the opposite of what Tesla said and that two many people are getting 75 hardware while paying for 60 and not deciding to upgrade.

Next up, EAP+FSD will become just one $8K option, to simplify the ordering process, since FSD, just like 60, is just a software option and it seems Tesla believes many software options make ordering too complex (as per email wording this move is to simplify ordering process). FSD merge into EAP is probably coming end of next quarter with a pre-warning to drive end of quarter sales from anyone who is on the fence but knows they don't want to pay for FSD right now (since it doesn't do anything anyways). Buy hey, these things do work, the November pre-announced $2K price increase gave me a push to pick up a 60. ;)

Next up, EAP+FSD will become just one $8K option, to simplify the ordering process, since FSD, just like 60, is just a software option and it seems Tesla believes many software options make ordering too complex (as per email wording this move is to simplify ordering process). FSD merge into EAP is probably coming end of next quarter with a pre-warning to drive end of quarter sales from anyone who is on the fence but knows they don't want to pay for FSD right now (since it doesn't do anything anyways). Buy hey, these things do work, the November pre-announced $2K price increase gave me a push to pick up a 60. ;)
+1; that and the unlimited SC, which ironically, I seldom use. I'm also glad for the timing to get my preferred wood trim which was discontinued about a month after I ordered.

Except they are the same packs - neighbor.

So I'm sure there is the 3 range thing which has only been mentioned once. The base 3 shouldn't have a longer range than the base S. So perhaps mid April is Reveal #2. And at the same time - new interior for the S? Or some other next big thing. Have to keep the S orders flying. I'm glad I am not needing a new car now. Probably would get a stripper 60 - best deal. To be replaced in a month by the new S thing and then a 3. I think there will be a tough psychology out there spending $75k on an S when you really want a 3 but the wait is 2 years. That market will be tanked once the 3 is on the road. So Tesla needs to get more of the usual MB/Big BMW crowd - so they need to get to interior par.

Reactions: MIT_S60
I guess playing with the truth is becoming the American way and Tesla's claim is just as insulting to our intelligence as some of the other BS in the news these days. It makes perfect sense that the 60 disappears with the 3 on the horizon, but why insult our intelligence. Hopefully discounted upgrade to 75 will soon be considered now that there is no $6500 price point at purchase to "protect."
If you think it's BS you're right, but the formal term is "marketing".
They have to give a reason, and they can't just say it's to separate the price points of the M3 and MS. That would annoy people.
But it's pretty obvious to close observers like you find on these forums.