Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 60 and 85 versions P Plate Approved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Was doing a bit of looking, and come across that the 60 and 85 versions of the Model S have somehow been approved for P Platers by VicRoads, but the P85 has not. not saying that it would be an unsure car for P Platers to drive at all, its just VicRoads are usually very strict about these things, and have a firm maximum of 130Kw for a vehicle, the 85 has 283Kw. I can't find any details as to why it is this way, and I was even so curious and called VicRoads about this, and was sort of just letting them know and asking how it got approved. got the response somewhat similar of "It says here it only has 1 gear, can't be that powerful" "Its a 5 door family hatchback, can't see why it shouldn't be approved"

was wondering your thoughts on this, should P Platers be allowed to drive these things?

VicRoads are usually very strict about these things, and have a firm maximum of 130Kw for a vehicle, the 85 has 283Kw

It's 130 kW per tonne. The S85 has a weight of 2.1 tonnes, so it should be able to have up to 274 kW of power before being classified as a restricted vehicle. It does, as you've noted, actually have more than that, but not by a huge margin.

Should P platers be allowed to drive them? Probably not, but there's plenty of other vehicles that slip in at under the 130 kW per tonne limit that they could do an equal amount of damage with.

Hi all,

Was doing a bit of looking, and come across that the 60 and 85 versions of the Model S have somehow been approved for P Platers by VicRoads, but the P85 has not. not saying that it would be an unsure car for P Platers to drive at all, its just VicRoads are usually very strict about these things, and have a firm maximum of 130Kw for a vehicle, the 85 has 283Kw. I can't find any details as to why it is this way, and I was even so curious and called VicRoads about this, and was sort of just letting them know and asking how it got approved. got the response somewhat similar of "It says here it only has 1 gear, can't be that powerful" "Its a 5 door family hatchback, can't see why it shouldn't be approved"

was wondering your thoughts on this, should P Platers be allowed to drive these things?

in QLD, the S85 just gets under the max power to weight ratio for a P plater. The P85 is outside the limit.

My calculations get 135 kW/t (285kW and 2108KG) for the 85 which is just over the specified 130 kW/t. I hope that's the case as I have a son just about to start the licence stuff:)

Ray

I'd better double check my calculations! I have a daughter just getting ready to start as well. She will learn in an Eco friendly ICE (diesel that consumes < 5 ltr per 100km), but I'd like her to able to drop & pick me up in Tesla if needed once she gets her Ps.

i double checked and do indeed get 135 kW/t. Unsure what happened......perhaps the published data changed from when I first did the calculations 2 years ago. Oddly, the S60 and S85 both seem to have the same power-to-weight ratio. Perhaps some lobbying/letters would encourage govt to make an exception for EVs? The whole reason I ordered S85, rather than P+ was because (at least using data available 2 years ago) it just sneaked under the limit......:-(

Last edited:
It would be great if the Tesla had a learner mode lower acceleration and speed limited. That would be useful for leaving it at valet parking & the glass tinting shop.
I teach my 14yld son how to drive on dirt roads and a Datsun120y mode would be handy (normally I stop him in emergency with a soft application of the hand break but thats not possible in the Tesla)
Ok there are two apps at the moment I can think we need.
1. Learner mode, Reduced Power & Speed Limited.
2. Hand break slow button. Passenger stops the car if the driver is suddenly incapacitated. (much more gentile than the emergency break)
Oh just thought of another one!
3. Hand break turn mode. Applies friction to the rear Breaks only via a control similar to the sunroof slider. ideal for turning corners or high speed parking!
I would so put my hand up for testing.:biggrin: