TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S 60 kWh in Canada: Supercharger option

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by SteveW25561, Jun 12, 2013.

1. SteveW25561

SteveW25561 Member

I. Really. Want. A. Model. S. I'm in Vancouver, Canada and am literally in the market right now for a new car.

After realizing my daily commute is really less than 30-40 km/day (< 25-30 total mi/d) and my 4 year old M3 has only 35,000 km (~22K miles), I realize that all I need the is the 60 kWh Model S, it was harder to justify the 85 kwh model or my initial choice of the P85. The only real road trip I'd do in the Tesla is ~65 mi to our cottage.

If I understand what I've read, even if you don't buy the Supercharger option at purchase, the 60 kwh Model S's have the necessary hardware, thus the $2150 Cdn is basically a membership/access charge for the Supercharger network. Since there are no Canadian Superchargers yet, and I don't do long range trips in this car, I'm not sure of the value of buying it straight away.

I still think the wording of both sites is misleading, hinting that the extra charge is required for the supercharging hardware. It says "Includes all hardware, software, and unlimited free charging..." when I think, in truth, it really means "Includes software and unlimited free charging..."

That said, as the network expands or I if I choose to do trips to Seattle/Oregon, Supercharging MAY become a need in the future (although we have an SUV for longer trips anyhow).

The US site shows the fee is $2500USD after delivery but nothing is stated for the Canadian site. See screenshots:

screenshot_274.jpg screenshot_276.jpg
    Does anyone know:
    1. Do Canadian 60 kwh Model S units have the Supercharger hardware already in them regardless of order specs?
    2. If so, how much is after-delivery activation of this in Canada?

I've had no answers from Tesla sales via email.

2. VCanucks

VCanucks Member

If you take trips down to the okanagan, it's worth it for the charger in meritt and kamloops, also if you went to whistler you'd only have to charge a little bit at the one in squamish/whistler

3. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

I have the 60 and am in Vancouver. I did get the supercharging hardware in order to be future compatible, but back when I finalized my order it wasn't announced that supercharger hardware was going to be pre-installed in all 60's. I was a bit ticked when later it was announced that all 60 cars are getting it pre-installed, so I could have saved some $ in an already more than I wanted to pay purchase. In the end I am happy to have it, although I probably won't get my $ worth for it any time soon.

If you drive around GVRD (Whistler to Abbotsford) you probably won't need a supercharger and home charging at night will be sufficient. Every day I wake up with ~ 300km standard range. I have yet to drive a day and have less than 175km left. If you go to Seattle or Whistler, you will be happy that the Burlington supercharger is going to be live probably later this month. There is to be one near Squamish before skiing season starts up too. The drive to Alberta will be complete the following year. That is all you will probably ever need. With sun country highway 70amp chargers you may consider a twin charger. I got that to, in order to be future compatible, but have yet to use anything more than 30amps in the wild.

As to your specific questions, the Canadian site always gets updated eventually, but they are slower to get to it. If the US site says supercharging is $2500 after the fact, budget the Canadian site to eventually say $2700 or $2800... But they may surprise us and match the US. You could always call Tesla and ask. I found during the order process, calls always got an answer while emails only sometimes did. It will come with the hardware requiring a software unlock. That is another thing they probably just didn't update on the Canadian web site yet - or ever.

4. SteveW25561

SteveW25561 Member

Thanks for everyone's replies.

I got a call from Tesla sales today. He did confirm that the Canadian 60s can be upgraded to supercharger later.

He acknowledged that the pricing is not yet posted on the Canadian website but suggested it would probably be a similar differential as the American [somewhere around $500]. This makes sense and I would venture it will likely be around $150 cdn more since the supercharger option is $150 CDN more than US..

He also confirmed that there is no announcement yet on the Canadian resale value guarantee.

Given that I don't currently plan significant road trips, I think I will hold off on ordering the supercharger option at baseline, and while I don't have any doubt the supercharging network will expand in Canada, it feels a bit like paying early for something I won't use especially if it doesn't come to fruition for more than a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5. SteveW25561

SteveW25561 Member

Thank you for your replies.

I did get a phone call from Tesla sales. They confirmed that you can add the supercharger option at any time after the sale but didn't have specific pricing on it yet. He expects that he would likely be similar to the US pricing plus the extra amount we see on the website [e.g. 150 cdn extra]. He didn't confirm anything, specifically.

They also confirmed that the resale value guarantee has not yet been announced

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. SteveW25561

SteveW25561 Member

I spoke with Tesla sales today and they confirm the Supercharger option can be added after delivery of the 60 kWh car. He didn't have the pricing yet, oddly enough, but suggested it would be a similar differential as the US after delivery price (plus the usual CDN$ markup).

He also stated that they don't yet have more info about the resale value guarantee in Canada yet and no idea when or if it will be announced here.

I think I'll go with the 60 given my generally short travel needs and wait a bit to see if Tesla comes forward with a resale value guarantee in Canada, then get the Supercharger unlock if I decide I want to do longer roadtrips.