Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 60 kWh in Canada: Supercharger option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I. Really. Want. A. Model. S. I'm in Vancouver, Canada and am literally in the market right now for a new car.

After realizing my daily commute is really less than 30-40 km/day (< 25-30 total mi/d) and my 4 year old M3 has only 35,000 km (~22K miles), I realize that all I need the is the 60 kWh Model S, it was harder to justify the 85 kwh model or my initial choice of the P85. The only real road trip I'd do in the Tesla is ~65 mi to our cottage.

If I understand what I've read, even if you don't buy the Supercharger option at purchase, the 60 kwh Model S's have the necessary hardware, thus the $2150 Cdn is basically a membership/access charge for the Supercharger network. Since there are no Canadian Superchargers yet, and I don't do long range trips in this car, I'm not sure of the value of buying it straight away.

I still think the wording of both sites is misleading, hinting that the extra charge is required for the supercharging hardware. It says "Includes all hardware, software, and unlimited free charging..." when I think, in truth, it really means "Includes software and unlimited free charging..."

That said, as the network expands or I if I choose to do trips to Seattle/Oregon, Supercharging MAY become a need in the future (although we have an SUV for longer trips anyhow).

The US site shows the fee is $2500USD after delivery but nothing is stated for the Canadian site. See screenshots:

screenshot_274.jpg
screenshot_276.jpg

Does anyone know:
1. Do Canadian 60 kwh Model S units have the Supercharger hardware already in them regardless of order specs?
2. If so, how much is after-delivery activation of this in Canada?

I've had no answers from Tesla sales via email.

I have the 60 and am in Vancouver. I did get the supercharging hardware in order to be future compatible, but back when I finalized my order it wasn't announced that supercharger hardware was going to be pre-installed in all 60's. I was a bit ticked when later it was announced that all 60 cars are getting it pre-installed, so I could have saved some $ in an already more than I wanted to pay purchase. In the end I am happy to have it, although I probably won't get my $ worth for it any time soon.

If you drive around GVRD (Whistler to Abbotsford) you probably won't need a supercharger and home charging at night will be sufficient. Every day I wake up with ~ 300km standard range. I have yet to drive a day and have less than 175km left. If you go to Seattle or Whistler, you will be happy that the Burlington supercharger is going to be live probably later this month. There is to be one near Squamish before skiing season starts up too. The drive to Alberta will be complete the following year. That is all you will probably ever need. With sun country highway 70amp chargers you may consider a twin charger. I got that to, in order to be future compatible, but have yet to use anything more than 30amps in the wild.

As to your specific questions, the Canadian site always gets updated eventually, but they are slower to get to it. If the US site says supercharging is $2500 after the fact, budget the Canadian site to eventually say $2700 or $2800... But they may surprise us and match the US. You could always call Tesla and ask. I found during the order process, calls always got an answer while emails only sometimes did. It will come with the hardware requiring a software unlock. That is another thing they probably just didn't update on the Canadian web site yet - or ever.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

I got a call from Tesla sales today. He did confirm that the Canadian 60s can be upgraded to supercharger later.

He acknowledged that the pricing is not yet posted on the Canadian website but suggested it would probably be a similar differential as the American [somewhere around $500]. This makes sense and I would venture it will likely be around $150 cdn more since the supercharger option is $150 CDN more than US..

He also confirmed that there is no announcement yet on the Canadian resale value guarantee.

Given that I don't currently plan significant road trips, I think I will hold off on ordering the supercharger option at baseline, and while I don't have any doubt the supercharging network will expand in Canada, it feels a bit like paying early for something I won't use especially if it doesn't come to fruition for more than a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you for your replies.

I did get a phone call from Tesla sales. They confirmed that you can add the supercharger option at any time after the sale but didn't have specific pricing on it yet. He expects that he would likely be similar to the US pricing plus the extra amount we see on the website [e.g. 150 cdn extra]. He didn't confirm anything, specifically.

They also confirmed that the resale value guarantee has not yet been announced

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I spoke with Tesla sales today and they confirm the Supercharger option can be added after delivery of the 60 kWh car. He didn't have the pricing yet, oddly enough, but suggested it would be a similar differential as the US after delivery price (plus the usual CDN$ markup).

He also stated that they don't yet have more info about the resale value guarantee in Canada yet and no idea when or if it will be announced here.

I think I'll go with the 60 given my generally short travel needs and wait a bit to see if Tesla comes forward with a resale value guarantee in Canada, then get the Supercharger unlock if I decide I want to do longer roadtrips.

I have the 60 and am in Vancouver. I did get the supercharging hardware in order to be future compatible, but back when I finalized my order it wasn't announced that supercharger hardware was going to be pre-installed in all 60's. I was a bit ticked when later it was announced that all 60 cars are getting it pre-installed, so I could have saved some $ in an already more than I wanted to pay purchase. In the end I am happy to have it, although I probably won't get my $ worth for it any time soon.

If you drive around GVRD (Whistler to Abbotsford) you probably won't need a supercharger and home charging at night will be sufficient. Every day I wake up with ~ 300km standard range. I have yet to drive a day and have less than 175km left. If you go to Seattle or Whistler, you will be happy that the Burlington supercharger is going to be live probably later this month. There is to be one near Squamish before skiing season starts up too. The drive to Alberta will be complete the following year. That is all you will probably ever need. With sun country highway 70amp chargers you may consider a twin charger. I got that to, in order to be future compatible, but have yet to use anything more than 30amps in the wild.

As to your specific questions, the Canadian site always gets updated eventually, but they are slower to get to it. If the US site says supercharging is $2500 after the fact, budget the Canadian site to eventually say $2700 or $2800... But they may surprise us and match the US. You could always call Tesla and ask. I found during the order process, calls always got an answer while emails only sometimes did. It will come with the hardware requiring a software unlock. That is another thing they probably just didn't update on the Canadian web site yet - or ever.

I don't mean to resurrect an ancient post, but I have this question. I was told today that my 2014 60 kWh does not have the "hardware" for supercharging installed and therefore they couldn't enable it.

Backstory: Up until about 3 weeks ago, the option to purchase "unlimited" SC was showing up in My Tesla account for $2500 (+tax), however it recently disappeared. This made me curious if somehow they accidentally enabled it, and since it was enabled it was no longer an "option" that could be purchased (I know, got my hopes a little too high). So I visited a supercharger for the first time to see what would happen. Unfortunately the car gave two warnings/errors when plugged in that (1)Supercharging can't be completed and (2) that it wasn't enabled.

So, is there a way to determine if the car has the hardware already installed? This post from 5 years ago points to the fact that ALL 60s were built with the hardware, just not the software enabling it unless you fork out the fee. This would be in line with how My Tesla account looked prior to 3 weeks ago, which is another topic...what triggered the change??? I did receive an email around the same time that said the proof of ownership that I had submitted was processed (I purchased the car 4 months ago private party- and ownership change was completed within about 1 week). And now there are two identical documents of proof of ownership showing up in my account. I have to assume that somehow when they processed the 2nd proof of ownership it triggered something in their system to remove the supercharging purchase option, but why?

I don't mean to resurrect an ancient post, but I have this question. I was told today that my 2014 60 kWh does not have the "hardware" for supercharging installed and therefore they couldn't enable it.
I'm not quite ready to go over 100% certain, but whoever told you that is wrong. You need to keep pushing this up the chain until you find someone who knows what they are talking about. I think there may have been some small number that were made without the hardware included right at the start, near 2012 or beginning of 2013, but by 2014, all of them had the hardware included.

Even if it didn't have the hardware for some reason (not possible), you should keep following up on it until you get someone who knows what they are talking about so they will install it.

I'm not quite ready to go over 100% certain, but whoever told you that is wrong. You need to keep pushing this up the chain until you find someone who knows what they are talking about. I think there may have been some small number that were made without the hardware included right at the start, near 2012 or beginning of 2013, but by 2014, all of them had the hardware included.

Even if it didn't have the hardware for some reason (not possible), you should keep following up on it until you get someone who knows what they are talking about so they will install it.
I just got it back from a service/warranty issue. I had them look up the build and they confirmed Supercharging hardware was installed and said they would look into why I am not able to supercharge. We'll see where it goes from here. Good advice on taking it up the chain. I'll be following up with Customer Service as well.

I had them look up the build and they confirmed Supercharging hardware was installed and said they would look into why I am not able to supercharge.
Wow. Tesla has been growing so fast that it seems a large portion of the company is so new they don't know any of the history of how this worked back before the last year or two.
It is no mystery at all that the car would have the Supercharging hardware installed (all cars did), but the car would not be able to Supercharge. Those employees probably did not know that allowing the ability to Supercharge on the 60kWh cars was an optional extra for $2,000 to enable it. That activation for Supercharging was included in the upgrade to the larger 85kWh battery. Those employees were probably just not aware that there was ever a time that the cars did not include the ability to Supercharge. That was a big deal when they retired the 60 to replace it with the 70kWh, and it then included Supercharging standard.
*Edit* A little more detail: that Supercharging activation on a 60kWh cost $1,500 if you selected it in your initial build order, but it was $2,000 if you chose to activate it later, after you had the car.

Wow. Tesla has been growing so fast that it seems a large portion of the company is so new they don't know any of the history of how this worked back before the last year or two.
It is no mystery at all that the car would have the Supercharging hardware installed (all cars did), but the car would not be able to Supercharge. Those employees probably did not know that allowing the ability to Supercharge on the 60kWh cars was an optional extra for $2,000 to enable it. That activation for Supercharging was included in the upgrade to the larger 85kWh battery. Those employees were probably just not aware that there was ever a time that the cars did not include the ability to Supercharge. That was a big deal when they retired the 60 to replace it with the 70kWh, and it then included Supercharging standard.
*Edit* A little more detail: that Supercharging activation on a 60kWh cost $1,500 if you selected it in your initial build order, but it was $2,000 if you chose to activate it later, after you had the car.
Right. I think that's the issue with the initial call and them telling me the hardware wasn't installed. After discussions with the service department, and subsequent CS phone call, I think at this point everyone agrees that the hardware is there but the unlimited access was never paid for.

Now another question for those 'in-the-know', is it possible to enable supercharging to do "pay-as-you-go" and not unlimited free at his point on a 60 kWh car that initially didn't have supercharging enabled? Or is the only option to purchase the unlimited (which I believe for me is now $2500, not $2000)?

Now another question for those 'in-the-know', is it possible to enable supercharging to do "pay-as-you-go" and not unlimited free at his point on a 60 kWh car that initially didn't have supercharging enabled? Or is the only option to purchase the unlimited (which I believe for me is now $2500, not $2000)?
Oh, I may have been mixing up the prices. Maybe it was the dual charger that was 1500/2000 and the Supercharging was 2000/2500. I am fairly certain that there is not going to be a pay-as-you-go option. That has never been offered even as an exception for any Model S or X. It's going to have to be the big package, or not at all.