Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 60 on a Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EVtrip planner website has all your answers.

getting 60 with the option to unlock the top 10% is a great path to take. with a 85 Ive driven up and down the east coast and could have done it in a 60 easily. just would have been a little slower.

Reactions: Mknac
Check EVtripplanner like others have said. I just finished a round-trip Dayton-Virginia Beach trip in my 70. Two times I elected to supercharge it up to 100% because I wasn't comfortable arriving at next supercharger with 10%. However in every case, I would end up arriving at a higher percentage than planned, meaning that when I pulled out of supercharger, the computer would say I would be arriving at say, 30%, I would end up arriving 34%. I didn't drive any differently than I would have with an ICE car, with the exception of probably driving much faster than my ICE could. This of course was in warm weather, temps around 85-95 degrees, AC on at 69 the whole way. I was very impressed with range and I am glad I got 70 instead of 90. For me, it's been a good choice so far. I

I think that the whole charging thing is something to remember in terms of adding time to your whole trip. You mentioned you drove recently on your road trip with one stop. I'm sure you are well aware of the amount of stops you will be making in the near future. My advice is watch your weight! There are many snacking opportunities! Although many times we sat down and ordered and then the phone app would say car was charged before food was ready. Still, I usually took the extra charge. Congrats on your new car!

Reactions: Mknac
A week ago I read an article about the battery comparison between the new 60 and the 75 model. Since the 60 is software limited from a 75 battery, whenever you charge the battery, you should theoretically hit 100% at maximum amp without slowing down on last 10%% charge. And as the charge cycles clock up, you only wear the battery where you will never use. Unless Tesla also simulate the battery wear by software, you should maintain the range as new in few years time!
Do you have a link to this article?

The change from old 60 to new 60 as good as it is, may be overshadowed by supercharger growth over the same time span. It was MUCH easier a couple years ago, to be in the "60 or 85" decision and rationalize for an 85. Back then, everyone was eagerly tracking the new superchargers. The difference a couple years make.