Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 60D Battery Unlock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, this is maybe a long shot as perhaps not so many 60D out there!

I've had my car from new for almost 6 years. It's a 60D which is really a 75D battery. In MyTesla website there was an option to pay £2k to "unlock" the rest of the battery. I always thought that was great but never really had need for the extra range.
Only recently have I though this would be useful and with lead times on new cars so long I've decided to keep this one for a few years more. I've read threads on it being done over time and it was an over-the-air update and pretty seamless. £2k for Tesla too - sort of for doing nothing :)

The option is no longer there in MyTesla (I see others have complained of same over past 2 or 3 years) so I've emailed our local service centre who have replied to say it's no longer an option and Tesla just do this from time to time with no notice and remove options. Has anyone managed to get this completed another way?

I read a thread about someone managing to get their 60/75 uncorked even but I'm not looking for that - just the battery unlock.

Thanks!

Sometimes it's worth trying different service centres as some are more willing to dig into things rather than accepting "the computer says no" but I doubt you'll get much joy without someone at Tesla being involved, unless you go down the lines of getting the car rooted and messing around with the setting, but then you start to risk other issues with Tesla.

Thanks, I wouldn't mess with the car and hoping there is an official Tesla way still - or definitive that it cannot be done.
Perhaps unfair, but I did get impression that the response I received wasn't after a lot of effort and feels like easy to just say "not possible".
I'll try another service centre!

Presumably the battery is moderately old now. If it's a 75kWh battery which is software locked to 60kWh, you might find that, say, 10% battery degradation means that there isn't much left to unlock. And the 60kWh lock means you can charge to 100% daily without killing the battery.