Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 60D upgraded for free to 75?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine appears to have been upgraded for free to the 75 as well. According to this thread, it's because I live near a mandatory evacuation zone in Broward County. I do not believe that I have received a notification from Tesla regarding this apparent temporary upgrade.

I am still not pleased about the 3% battery degradation after 5 months and only 9K miles. I lost 2 miles overnight the other week when I ran down to 1%. Charging to 90% that evening yielded a loss of 2 miles - they had immediately disappeared.​

When new, I started at 189 miles at 90%. That quickly dropped to 187, then 185 and now 183. Most drops occured over a few days. This most recent was immediate.

I notified Tesla via their service email and thought in reponse they flipped the switch for the portion of the locked battery (I have never requested such an action), but also thought it had something to do with Irma and this thread confirms that. I sent my email 3 days ago and still no response. Perhaps I reached my inquiry quota? :confused:

I know battery degradation is high during the first thousands of miles, but quick losses like this most recent are painful.​

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: RobertF and Red_DS
I verified it was released to any 60s in the evacuation zones. I was told it will be removed on September 16.

Best news ever! Way to go Tesla!

Mine appears to have been upgraded for free to the 75 as well. I do not believe that I have received a notification from Tesla regarding this apparent temporary upgrade.

I am still not pleased about the 3% battery degradation after 5 months and only 9K miles. I lost 2 miles overnight the other week when I ran down to 1%. I charged to 90% and 2 miles had immediately disappeared.​

When new, I started at 189 miles at 90%. That quickly dropped to 187, then 185 and now 183. Most drops occured over a few days. This most recent was immediate.

I notified Tesla via their service email and thought they flipped the switch for the portion of the locked battery, but also thought it had something to do with Irma and this thread confirms that.

I know battery degradation is high during the first thousands of miles, but quick losses are painful.​

Have you balanced your battery pack lately? I have had friends notice this, but after they balanced their packs and everything was back to normal.

Thanks Erik

Reactions: boaterva
Have you balanced your battery pack lately? I have had friends notice this, but after they balanced their packs and everything was back to normal.

Thanks Erik

Thank you for your suggestion Erik. I thought draining the battery to zero, or at least very close to it and then recharging would balance the battery. Perhaps I had to recharge to 100% instead of just 90%? Maybe having the locked battery in the MS60 makes it more difficult to balance?​

As far as Tesla's move to bump 60s to 75s for a little while due to the hurricane, that was very thoughtful of them.

... I am still not pleased about the 3% battery degradation after 5 months and only 9K miles. I lost 2 miles overnight the other week when I ran down to 1%. Charging to 90% that evening yielded a loss of 2 miles - they had immediately disappeared.

When new, I started at 189 miles at 90%. That quickly dropped to 187, then 185 and now 183. Most drops occured over a few days. This most recent was immediate. ...​
FWIW, I just looked at my logs for the past year, and my Rated Miles varies 3-5 miles at any given percentage over the past year. There are some other factors that come into play (those of which I do not know) when calculating the Rated Miles at any given point in time.

That said, I still accrued the initial battery degradation like we all do, in the amount that is inherent of the technology used to store energy for our vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
haha technically this is a great PR move since it cost them a total of $0 (okay maybe 1/2 a cent per car to send a wireless data signal) but a lot to gain :]

glad someone at tesla thought of it anyway.
It would have been a PR move if Tesla had put out a press release about it. Just doing it quietly without even notifying the affected owners is simply doing good works.

I thought draining the battery to zero, or at least very close to it and then recharging would balance the battery. Perhaps I had to recharge to 100% instead of just 90%?
Yes charge it to 100% and let it sit plugged in for a while to give the BMS time to balance. At least that is the speculation, but at the least do a 100% charge from a low discharge state.