Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 60D upgraded for free to 75?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i say just update all 60's(there cant be that many anymore that are still 60's right?) So the 75 will be the lowend standard across the board. Sure they made plenty of upgrades on the 60-75 in itially and after up untill now and if they get a trade in 60 you know they will just update to a 75 anyhow

First off - I think it was awesome of Tesla to upgrade these temporarily and being a native Floridian I wish everyone out there the best in recovering from Irma. I don't want to take over this thread for another purpose - but wanted to share my approach based on the comment from @alehbaba:

I am a Model X 60D owner - you might not realize the insane price difference Tesla has imposed on Model X 60D upgrades vs. Model S. I have emailed Tesla support recently using the "escalate concern to executive management" complaining about the price difference between the 60D -> 75D upgrade on Model X ($4500) vs. Model S ($2000). I think it is crazy the price is so different. I let them know they need to address this and reduce the price of our upgrade. I also mentioned it would be a nice thing especially for those of us with AP2 cars who are wildly disappointed with the new AutoPilot - extending an olive branch to us for our bad experience on that front and making up for the main issue, the pricing disparity compared to Model S.

I would like to encourage all Model X 60D drivers (and anyone else who wants to jump on this bandwagon) to do the same. Let's raise the heat to their team on this issue.

The price of the upgraded is all over the place. If you look at custom model S vs X today the price of the upgrade (hardware upgrade) from 75D to 100D is $19500 on the S and $16500 on the X, so $3000 cheaper on the X. It seems that if they reduce the price they will sell more but maybe the economic don't translate to that. It will be nice however if the price was uniform for the same thing... Elon said everybody pay the same for the cars so why not apply the same to the battery across models.

EDIT: Added hardware upgrade for clarity.

First off - I think it was awesome of Tesla to upgrade these temporarily and being a native Floridian I wish everyone out there the best in recovering from Irma. I don't want to take over this thread for another purpose - but wanted to share my approach based on the comment from @alehbaba:

I am a Model X 60D owner - you might not realize the insane price difference Tesla has imposed on Model X 60D upgrades vs. Model S. I have emailed Tesla support recently using the "escalate concern to executive management" complaining about the price difference between the 60D -> 75D upgrade on Model X ($4500) vs. Model S ($2000). I think it is crazy the price is so different. I let them know they need to address this and reduce the price of our upgrade. I also mentioned it would be a nice thing especially for those of us with AP2 cars who are wildly disappointed with the new AutoPilot - extending an olive branch to us for our bad experience on that front and making up for the main issue, the pricing disparity compared to Model S.

I would like to encourage all Model X 60D drivers (and anyone else who wants to jump on this bandwagon) to do the same. Let's raise the heat to their team on this issue.

Last edited:
The price of the upgraded is all over the place. If you look at custom model S vs X today the price of the upgrade from 75D to 100D is $19500 on the S and $16500 on the X, so $3000 cheaper on the X. It seems that if they reduce the price they will sell more but maybe the economic don't translate to that. It will be nice however if the price was uniform for the same thing... Elon said everybody pay the same for the cars so why not apply the same to the battery across models.

seriously? Is it possible to update a 75D to a 100?

I can see why some 60 cars would want to keep their wallets closed and not fork over $2000 to get the 75. But and however - How many of the 75 hurricane updates do you think will keep the update? 100%, 50%, 5%?. It cost Tesla near zero to look like a hero. And they may well make a few more sales. Any bets as to how many keep the update?

I 100% agree with this. In the UK the price gap is even bugger. Can't understand why the discount hasn't been offered. The extra 15-20 miles would be the difference in those long journeys.

Do you have the email so I can jump on this Mark. Will also get the UK owners to jump on board too

For sure Tesla will send you a message along the lines of "Did you like the upgrade? You can have it forever for X,000 $! We'll leave you some time to decide; until 2017/10/X your upgraded range will remain" or something to that effect.

How many of the 75 hurricane updates do you think will keep the update? 100%, 50%, 5%?. Any bets as to how many keep the update?

Perhaps about 5% may decide to keep the 75. I won't be one of them.​

For sure Tesla will send you a message along the lines of "Did you like the upgrade? You can have it forever for X,000 $! We'll leave you some time to decide; until 2017/10/X your upgraded range will remain" or something to that effect.

Unless they throw in a powered lift gate conversion (which they don't offer), I will be content going back to the 60. I will pay for the aftermarket lift gate kit 100 times over before I spend $2K on what is equivalent to a gallon of gas. Before the upgrade: 205 @ 100%. After the upgrade: 237 @ 100%. In addition, the massive tapering in charge speed with the 75 as it nears 100% is not something I experience with the 60.​

Perhaps about 5% may decide to keep the 75. I won't be one of them.​

Unless they throw in a powered lift gate conversion (which they don't offer), I will be content going back to the 60. I will pay for the aftermarket lift gate kit 100 times over before I spend $2K on what is equivalent to a gallon of gas. Before the upgrade: 205 @ 100%. After the upgrade: 237 @ 100%. In addition, the massive tapering in charge speed with the 75 as it nears 100% is not something I experience with the 60.​

237? Wow, that seems awfully low. It should be in the neighborhood of 259 (when new). My 2016 75D has about 6,000 miles and I'm seeing 257.

237? Wow, that seems awfully low. It should be in the neighborhood of 259 (when new). My 2016 75D has about 6,000 miles and I'm seeing 257.

I do not have all-wheel drive, so the max for a standard 75 would be 249 as far as I know. When new, my MS60 charged to 210. That has quickly dropped to 205.

I understand the reduction is due to the degradation of the battery, an unbalanced battery, and the car's apparent ability to rate mileage based on driving habits. I hope that it is more of the latter. I don't know. After only 9K miles, I am not pleased with the apparent loss in range.

Paying another $2K for about 30 more miles is definitely not worth it.

Last edited:
I do not have all-wheel drive, so the max for a standard 75 would be 249 as far as I know. When new, my MS60 charged to 210. That has quickly dropped to 205.

I understand the reduction is due to the degradation of the battery, an unbalanced battery, and the car's apparent ability to rate mileage based on driving habits. I hope that it is more of the latter. I don't know. After only 9K miles, I am not pleased with the apparent loss in range.

Paying another $2K for about 30 more miles is definitely not worth it.
I spoke to a Tesla Rep a couple days ago regarding a car's ability to range upgrade - from 60 to 75. (I inquired due to purchase of a 2016 60). Her response was a bit awkward. She said she couldn't confirm cost of upgrading range b/c prices can shift up or down. I thought that was odd - almost as if she tried to discourage me from doing it? I doubt any reasonable person would truly believe the price would go up given the drop in price history. Is there a change around the corner? That was my thought.

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888