Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 60D upgraded for free to 75?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not have all-wheel drive, so the max for a standard 75 would be 249 as far as I know. When new, my MS60 charged to 210. That has quickly dropped to 205.

I understand the reduction is due to the degradation of the battery, an unbalanced battery, and the car's apparent ability to rate mileage based on driving habits. I hope that it is more of the latter. I don't know. After only 9K miles, I am not pleased with the apparent loss in range.

Paying another $2K for about 30 more miles is definitely not worth it.

Oops! Sorry, I didn't realize you had non-D. Still seems like a larger than average loss. It might be a good idea to have a service center take a look. I know others have had some hardware problems (like bad contactors, I believe) cause shorter ranges to display. There are some other threads about battery capacities you should check out here as well. I believe a couple of deeper discharge (<20%) and 100% charge cycles can reset the range numbers as well. Good Luck!!

Reactions: Sawyer8888
@Sawyer8888, I've no way to be sure, but, I don't think you are actually losing much range, if at all. This software-limited setup has some inherent flaw in battery balancing which may not be easy to correct by you but may not be irreversible either (if and when you choose to move to 75). I recall very similar accounts in early-2013 with the few folks who went for a 60 that was software-limited to 40.

• Informative
Oops! Sorry, I didn't realize you had non-D. Still seems like a larger than average loss. It might be a good idea to have a service center take a look. I know others have had some hardware problems (like bad contactors, I believe) cause shorter ranges to display. There are some other threads about battery capacities you should check out here as well. I believe a couple of deeper discharge (<20%) and 100% charge cycles can reset the range numbers as well. Good Luck!!
I too was going to point out that the "range" is a calculation - and that the end-point is an extrapolation of that calculation. If your battery has not been cycled to the extreme top, it does not KNOW what the top is and gives a conservative extrapolation. Same for the low end. Without solid , cycled, end points, the software is giving projections that may not fit with the chemistry. Reading something dire into a range loss when it could be user-error, well that's just foolish behavior. 100% charge cycles resets all this false end point stuff.

• Disagree
Reactions: Viking1
Reading something dire into a range loss when it could be user-error, well that's just foolish behavior. 100% charge cycles resets all this false end point stuff.

When it could be user-error - so there is a possibility that it could be something else. And yet you say it's foolish to think otherwise. I find that comment contradicting and a bit condescending. Many of us are concerned about battery degradation and we're looking for answers. Insinuating that we are fools doesn't help.

I just charged from 10% to 100% yesterday and I still maxed out at 237 rated miles instead of 249, or at least something close to that. It's not a dire situation, however I am wondering how I can improve this without being ridiculed for asking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viking1
When it could be user-error - so there is a possibility that it could be something else. And yet you say it's foolish to think otherwise. I find that comment contradicting and a bit condescending. Many of us are concerned about battery degradation and we're looking for answers. Insinuating that we are fools doesn't help.

I just charged from 10% to 100% yesterday and I still maxed out at 237 rated miles instead of 249, or at least something close to that. It's not a dire situation, however I am wondering how I can improve this without being ridiculed for asking.
I tried charging from around 10% to 100%. I was rewarded with a 1 RM loss.

I have come to the conclusion that to reduce (cannot avoid) battery degradation the best thing is to not allow a deep discharge (at least for my battery, which is a 90). Now my car is plugged in at every opportunity. My typical SOC range now is 60% - 90%. Since doing that I've not lost any RM. My conclusion is not based solely on my experience. I've asked several posters, that said they have had little or no degradation, what is their depth of battery discharge? They have told me they have a shallow level of discharge.

Maybe not the answer for everyone, but it has been the answer for me.

Last edited:
  • Helpful

Well, I was struggling to find the right word. Observing range loss, noting it, worrying about it, being in dire straights about it, excessively in anguish about it, screaming up and down mains street about it.....somewhere the reaction goes from OK to foolish. No personal attack intended - just rummaging through my inventory of words and that's what popped up.

The upgrade is temporary according to many source:

Tesla remotely extended battery range of vehicles fleeing Florida

I think this is great publicity and the right thing to do. Not the same as price difference in the upgrade (software or physical) where customers pay different pricing for exactly the same thing.

Not only was it great publicity, but it pushed the shares $20 higher on the day, (and now broken the all time record).
(Lucky me) ;-)