Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 60kw vs Audi S4 vs etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time poster. Apologies if this has been covered, I have used the search extensively and could not get a definitive answer. I have to hit the "Finalize" button in the next 3 weeks and I need help! I test drove the P85 and it was fantastic, however, it is outside of my price range. Of the 3 non perf the 60 has the perfect range for my daily 50mi commute, but I don't know how to handicap the performance of the S60 from the test drive I had.

My previous cars used for commute (up and down the West Side Hwy, for those familiar with NYC) were a 911, a Cayenne S, an A6 and a TT (2.0). What I love about the TT is that it is light and very quick, allowing me to dart in and out of traffic and being able to eat up gaps quickly. The TT has gotten too small for me so I have to get another car, but could wait a couple of months for the Tesla. However, the other car that would be a really good fit for me is the S4.

So I would like to hear from other actual S60 owners how your car compares in term of acceleration and speed to S4 comparable ICE cars. I love the design elegance of an electric car and Tesla seems to have done a fantastic job, but if I get beaten by an S4 on the West Side Highway, I'm going to be bummed...

Thanks for your replies. I did study both those threads and this thread is also a great economic comparison between the P85 and the Audi S7

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/10854-Can-t-decide-between-Model-S-or-Audi-S6

But what I'm missing is the perspective of a 60kw owner. The thread Robert references has P85 owners extrapolating to the 60kw performance.

The thread mnx references has some actual (extremely valuable) 60kw tests, but its not clear how to compare that to an S4. The thread shows 0-60 at 5.4sec, the S4 appears to be 0-60 at 4.7sec, so it would appear that the S4 will beat the Model S 60kw. However 0-60 is not that great a benchmark. In real driving situations its more the 30-60 or the 40-70 that makes all the difference.

What I'm really hoping for is to find an Model S 60kw owner that traded in his S4/A4 (or maybe someone that has test driven both) and can give some apples to apples comparison as to which is the quicker (short bursts of accelerating in and out of traffic) car. I know that is asking a bit much, but I can always hope...

First time poster. Apologies if this has been covered, I have used the search extensively and could not get a definitive answer. I have to hit the "Finalize" button in the next 3 weeks and I need help! I test drove the P85 and it was fantastic, however, it is outside of my price range. Of the 3 non perf the 60 has the perfect range for my daily 50mi commute, but I don't know how to handicap the performance of the S60 from the test drive I had.

My previous cars used for commute (up and down the West Side Hwy, for those familiar with NYC) were a 911, a Cayenne S, an A6 and a TT (2.0). What I love about the TT is that it is light and very quick, allowing me to dart in and out of traffic and being able to eat up gaps quickly. The TT has gotten too small for me so I have to get another car, but could wait a couple of months for the Tesla. However, the other car that would be a really good fit for me is the S4.

So I would like to hear from other actual S60 owners how your car compares in term of acceleration and speed to S4 comparable ICE cars. I love the design elegance of an electric car and Tesla seems to have done a fantastic job, but if I get beaten by an S4 on the West Side Highway, I'm going to be bummed...

I'm pretty sure the Model S 60kwh, will feel faster and be more efficient in traffic. However, the car is huge so this is a downside.

I got my Model S (85 kWh non-performance) this week, having sold a 2010 Audi S4.

I love the S so far. It's quick, seamless, and a serene driving experience. Overall, I'd say it's about as fast as the S4 (which had a 0-60 of 4.8 seconds in magazine tests), but the Model S feels much more effortless. The S4 is a nimbler car, since it's considerably smaller and lighter. I'm still getting used to the bulk of the Model S, but for now it feels a bit like piloting a boat.

Thanks eelton, that is very helpful. I'm really struggling with this decision. The S4 has equal speed, quattro, cool stuff like adaptive cruise control and is about 15k cheaper. How much value do I assign to be able to stomp on the gas and get catapulted forward? I have no idea.

What I'm really hoping for is to find an Model S 60kw owner that traded in his S4/A4 (or maybe someone that has test driven both) and can give some apples to apples comparison as to which is the quicker (short bursts of accelerating in and out of traffic) car. I know that is asking a bit much, but I can always hope...

I am coming from a 2006 Audi A3 with the 3.2L V6 and Haldex AWD, not quite a S4 but of the same lineage.

The 60 kWh Model S blows my old A3 out of the water. No comparison. My A3 was fast and I drove it hard, but the Model S is on an entirely different plane of performance, even at the 60 kWh level. The instant torque and throttle response at all speeds really has to be felt to be believed and it is what makes the difference. You can get the jump on nearly anything on the road, from dead stop or cruising at 50 mph; just stomp the go pedal and watch out. I got my car on Saturday morning and the first time I took it for a spin around the neighborhood I I was cackling like a maniac the entire time at the unbelievable performance (I had only driven a 85 and for 5 mintues before). The rush of acceleration you get is like nothing else on the market.

Also I am really impressed with the interior fit and finish. My car is Sliver with Gray/Matte Obeche interior and it is simply breathtaking. I loved my Audi for the impressive interior and this Tesla is in the same league for sure, really impressive for their first time out.

The only place where the my Audi has the advantage is trying to pull hard launches in the rain. The AWD would allow be to just mash the pedal and go (after a slight delay) in almost any condition. Being rear wheel drive and having instant amounts of torque means that, in the rain, you can break the rear wheels free in the Model S easier. The traction control is very well done though and you can still pull impressive launches in the rain with the Model S, it just takes a touch more finesse. When they get AWD into the Model S and GenIII it will be incredible.

So I have been flogging my Model S all weekend on Cloud 9, and yesterday I needed to take my A3 to get a wash before my buyer picks it up this weekend. Getting back in and driving my A3 was jarring. The throttle lag, the down shifts, the entire car vibrating--even the pedal--was a serious eye opener. Things I never really noticed before, because that is just how all ICE cars are. I could never go back now.

Not to mention the massive deprecation of a 7 year old car with 75k miles ($38K to $14K ...). If the Model S follows the roadster trend then it should fair much better in that regard. Also going from $150 in gas a month to ~$40 in energy is no small factor.

In summation, if the $15k is not a big deal, get the Model S. It truly is the next generation of personal transportation and it can be had today! Once you drive it you will understand.

Good luck!

Thanks eelton, that is very helpful. I'm really struggling with this decision. The S4 has equal speed, quattro, cool stuff like adaptive cruise control and is about 15k cheaper. How much value do I assign to be able to stomp on the gas and get catapulted forward? I have no idea.

Personally, the big selling point for me is "plug in at home, never go to a gas station". How much value you assign to that is an important question. Some people *love* it.

@Golan and eelton:
I too am replacing an S4 with a Model S. For the past 2 months, I've had the pleasure of having both cars at my disposal (Audi is coming off lease in a month) and they are very different cars. I love the S4, it certainly has been the nicest and best performing car I've ever had (until now) and would recommend an Audi to anyone. Although, when you consider the smoothness and sheer power of the Model S, there really is no comparison.

I prefer smaller, sportier sedan styles and the S4 is perfect in this regard. The Model S is considerably larger and 800 pounds heavier, but the powertrain is more advanced so it doesn't feel so big. Even though the Audi has a 7 speed dual-clutch transmission, it seems clunky and almost rediculous after driving the Tesla. With the Tesla, instant accelleration is available at any time and literally at any speed. Passengers continusouly complain because they have no warning when the driver decides to GO.

My Tesla is a P85 and it's not really a fair comparison, but based on what I have been reading a 60KWh Model S will provide a very satisfying "sport" experience to all but the most aggressive "lead-foots". Even with the smaller battery, the smooth, constant power will be there. The great styling and technology will be too. Oh, one more thing... NO GAS REQUIRED.

I agree with this comparison, having owned both. In terms of the fun-to-drive quotient, I'd say the Tesla wins in a straight line for its smooth and effortless power delivery, but the S4 is more fun in the corners, given the smaller size and better steering feel.
@Golan and eelton: I too am replacing an S4 with a Model S. For the past 2 months, I've had the pleasure of having both cars at my disposal (Audi is coming off lease in a month) and they are very different cars. I love the S4, it certainly has been the nicest and best performing car I've ever had (until now) and would recommend an Audi to anyone. Although, when you consider the smoothness and sheer power of the Model S, there really is no comparison. I prefer smaller, sportier sedan styles and the S4 is perfect in this regard. The Model S is considerably larger and 800 pounds heavier, but the powertrain is more advanced so it doesn't feel so big. Even though the Audi has a 7 speed dual-clutch transmission, it seems clunky and almost rediculous after driving the Tesla. With the Tesla, instant accelleration is available at any time and literally at any speed. Passengers continusouly complain because they have no warning when the driver decides to GO. My Tesla is a P85 and it's not really a fair comparison, but based on what I have been reading a 60KWh Model S will provide a very satisfying "sport" experience to all but the most aggressive "lead-foots". Even with the smaller battery, the smooth, constant power will be there. The great styling and technology will be too. Oh, one more thing... NO GAS REQUIRED.
- - - Updated - - -