Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 70 to 75 Battery Up was a ripoff

Did you get over the air battery upgrade?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently purchased over the air 70 to 75 battery upgrade for my 1 year old Model s. Expected increase was 15 miles but actually got 6 miles. Talked to support and they ran diagnostics etc but they said that's all my car will get. 15 is just an estimation and given the car is 1 year old and got 23K miles it's not going to get any more than what it had got which is 6 miles.

If tesla had told that it was going to get mere 6 miles I would not have wasted my $ and time. Sorry but its a ripoff!!

What are you basing your finding of adding 6 miles? Just looking at what is displayed? Most likely it is now off and needs to be calibrated and let your pack balance. I wouldn't be surprised if you see the displayed range increase.

For $500 you got a new badge and theoretically better resale on your car. That is unfortunate that the range isn't as expected - have you asked Tesla if they can reverse it?

You went from 65.9 to 72.6 kWh usable but that 72.6 is likely closer to 70 or below with ~4% initial degradation.

I wonder if the software limited 70 is limited to capacity or just capped at 90% of overall usable capacity - based on your post id question if it's a capacity.

Per wk057
  • Original 60 – ~61 kWh total capacity, ~58.5 kWh usable.
  • 85/P85/85D/P85D – ~81.5 kWh total capacity, ~77.5 kWh usable
  • 90D/P90D – ~85.8 kWh total capacity, 81.8 kWh usable
  • Original 70 – ~71.2 kWh total capacity, 68.8 kWh usable
  • 75/75D – 75 kWh total capacity, 72.6 kWh usable
  • Software limited 60/60D – 62.4 kWh usable
  • Software limited 70/70D – 65.9 kWh usable

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
Yeah, I wouldn't have gone for it. In my 3 years, 10-15-20 miles really doesn't make a difference to me. I rarely used to run my ICE that low either. Sorry you got so little for the money. I think that's bush league on Tesla's part to charge so much for essentially nothing.

6.7KWh for $500 isn't a bad price, but since it's at the top of the battery and most people rarely charge above 90%, you'll likely almost never use it. I got the 60->75 upgrade mostly because I worried that Tesla won't be testing their OTA's much on sw limited 60's, and things like cell-balancing which is reported to kick in at 90% will never kick in with sw limited 60.

That said, see what your description says on the upgrade. If it says 15 miles more but you only got 6, ask for a refund. If they refuse and you want to fight, call your credit card to refuse charges and claim they did not deliver what they sold you - all that only if you feel this is really worth the hassle and pissing off the company that will be servicing your car. I could have sued Tesla for the P85D horsepower they never delivered (in Norway Tesla settled on that one) but honestly, I got better things to do with my time and money. Tesla already lost with me on that one, because rather than buying another P car and handing the older P to my wife, I just bought my wife a non-P car instead.

You need to force the BMS to re-calibrate to know exactly what the change in range was.

Run the car to 0 miles (be careful, don't get stranded, etc. - all disclaimers apply), then charge to 100% and see what you get.

In both our P85s we did this after having them for a year and reclaimed 6 and 8 miles, respectively, of range.

Not saying that your current observations are wrong, but this could just be a "calibration" issue b/c your car has never been used to charging to a true 100% of pack capacity since you got it.

Reactions: JPUConn