TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S 70 vs 70D

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by madhav, Jul 24, 2015.

1. madhav

madhav Member

Now that Model S is available in 70 and 70D, i am looking to order one of them. I live in Texas, so AWD is not a must requirement. I am still leaning towards 70D, but i want to know your thoughts on it. Would 70 be sufficient? Range decreases by 10 miles for 70.

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

How far are the superchargers that you plan to use? I'm not sure how built out the infrastructure is in Texas, so those 10 miles might matter to you.

3. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

I have a 70D, but have been driving an SC loaner 60 for the last few days. I am extremely glad I went for the D model. The non-D I am driving handles noticeably differently. Handling is tighter in the D. Even though traction control works great, I can feel the non-D getting ready to fishtail upon heavy acceleration in a turn. The D just goes where I point it. Also, (and this may be a issue with the specific car I am driving) I notice a distinct whine coming from the rear motor on the non-D. Even though the D has two motors I really can't hear much from either of them.

4. fwgmills

fwgmills Member

If you're from Texas (like me) don't forget how people lose their minds in rain and especially when we get a little snow. I would go for the D for that alone, plus you get a little better efficiency on the range side of it. When I eventually get a Model X I would definitely get the dual motor variant, assuming it's offered in a single motor version.