Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 70D 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my 2015 Model S70D, and enjoy the free supercharging. However, I also have a 2018 Model 3 that I bought new, and I have noticed the Model S takes longer to charge.

I have heard that the model S was "nurfed" to charge slower, to protect the battery. Is there a way around that at all? I usually charge at home, but when we go on road trips, it would be really nice to have it charge faster.

I imagine this isn't something that can be changed, or maybe we wouldn't want to anyway?

I love my 2015 Model S70D, and enjoy the free supercharging. However, I also have a 2018 Model 3 that I bought new, and I have noticed the Model S takes longer to charge.

I have heard that the model S was "nurfed" to charge slower, to protect the battery. Is there a way around that at all? I usually charge at home, but when we go on road trips, it would be really nice to have it charge faster.

I imagine this isn't something that can be changed, or maybe we wouldn't want to anyway?
Was on the same boat with MS 85D, there're basically 3 solutions for that: 1) Downgrade the SW to some pre-nerfed version, but that one would have many cons, therefore not recommended.
2) Upgrade the battery to not nerfed 90 or even 100kWh one. I did the 100kWh upgrade and it's absolutely different experience even though it's still not as fast as M3 is.
3) Trade the car for another MS with nit nerfed battery.

Reactions: springdaisy82
I thought the 2015 70D was limited to around 90 kWh charging from the start. My 2016 75 was limited to about 80 kWh when I first got it, then about 2 years later with software updates it started charging around 120 kWh at optimal SOC and handled that until I sold it last year.

The best charging rate today is with the 2021-2023 Model S LR, with a combination of the largest/newest battery having a 250 kWh charging rate, and the most efficient overall S design so far.

I thought the 2015 70D was limited to around 90 kWh charging from the start. My 2016 75 was limited to about 80 kWh when I first got it, then about 2 years later with software updates it started charging around 120 kWh at optimal SOC and handled that until I sold it last year.

The best charging rate today is with the 2021-2023 Model S LR, with a combination of the largest/newest battery having a 250 kWh charging rate, and the most efficient overall S design so far.
Yes, but the price difference will be also significant + maybe @springdaisy82 likes Free SuC too... S 70D should achieve according to ABRP data something around 110kW at 10%SOC and will fall under 100kW at around 20%.
And one small remark - "kWh" is unit representing energy, "kW" is unit representing power, so that's the one you probably meant ;)

Was on the same boat with MS 85D, there're basically 3 solutions for that: 1) Downgrade the SW to some pre-nerfed version, but that one would have many cons, therefore not recommended.
2) Upgrade the battery to not nerfed 90 or even 100kWh one. I did the 100kWh upgrade and it's absolutely different experience even though it's still not as fast as M3 is.
3) Trade the car for another MS with nit nerfed battery.
I am glad to hear that you were able to upgrade the battery. If and when this one fails, and if the car is still doing fine, I may do that. May I ask how much that cost? And did you do it because of a failed battery?

I am glad to hear that you were able to upgrade the battery. If and when this one fails, and if the car is still doing fine, I may do that. May I ask how much that cost? And did you do it because of a failed battery?
Sure, it was roughly 12k€ as for replacement (I didn't get the old one back). The battery was ok, but nerfed, slow charging only till 4,1V...

Reactions: springdaisy82

I understand that all Tesla Model X / S vehicles built starting mid-July 2020 and newer support the fast 250 kW charging rate. If you have a slightly older one, say from May 2020, it should support the 225 kW charging rate. If it's from 2012 - 2019 then the maximum rate is about 120 - 150 kW. That's if you start out Supercharging at a lower state of charge, like 15% and navigate to the Supercharger first so the car can precondition the main battery.

Reactions: vcor