Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 75 D Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the 75 D have the total battery capacity of the 85 or 100 and my car is simply software locked to the lower capacity? If that is the case, am I able to pay for extra capacity and they simply would software unlock that?

The reason I ask is that I do remember during one of the Florida hurricanes where Tesla provided extra battery capacity for residents of the Miami area to allow them to escape the hurricane.

Does the 75 D have the total battery capacity of the 85 or 100 and my car is simply software locked to the lower capacity? If that is the case, am I able to pay for extra capacity and they simply would software unlock that?

The reason I ask is that I do remember during one of the Florida hurricanes where Tesla provided extra battery capacity for residents of the Miami area to allow them to escape the hurricane.

That is not the case only 60 batteries were software limited ...unfortunately to upsize battery you need to buy new car :(

That is not the case only 60 batteries were software limited ...unfortunately to upsize battery you need to buy new car :(
Officially software limited 60's and 70's, to date. There was a batch of 75's in Europe somewhere with software limited 85 batteries in 2017 (at a time when 85's were no longer being produced, so possibly using up some old inventory), but IIRC Tesla never offered upgrades to those customers (it would be weird as that model year didn't have 85's).

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Actually there is a software locked S75D battery called a BTX8 but we have never seen one in the US. It is a P85 battery software locked to 75. 400v so ultra fast supercharging. Also amazing high speed passing.

...unfortunately to upsize battery you need to buy new car :(
I am pretty sure you can swap batteries , if you are willing to wait until your warranty is up or doin't mind voidiing it. As mentioned, there is nothing to software unlock, but many owners physically change them without buying a new car. The battery was designed to be easily swapable.

Last edited:
Reactions: P85_DA
So, what would it cost to swap out a 75 battery for a 100?
March 2018 S75D, 5k miles, so pretty new battery...any exchange credit?

Ask your SC if they will even do ..if folks successfully battery swapped for reasonable price ..we probably would have seen some stories ..or Tesla will be advertising this to generate revenue ...reality is you can’t do this cost effectively ...your better off taking the hit and trading in car. ...I actually had a loaner 75D and was surprised that the range was as good as my P85D ...are u finding not enough range ??

...Ask your SC if they will even do ..if folks successfully battery swapped for reasonable price ..we probably would have seen some stories ..or Tesla will be advertising this to generate revenue...
No your service center will NOT do that for you. What Tesla would gain in revenue for battery upselling they would lose in new 100D and P100D sales. The cars are very carefully positioned.

So think very carefully about how much you value your warranty and then see eBay for an idea about what you would be paying: tesla battery upgrade | eBay. Not that you would lose your whole warranty, but definitely the battery warranty and if you have trouble with things that might be related to having a different battery, like say the drive train, be prepared to have long discussions with the service center. If you do decide to upgrade one of the best people to work with is Jason Hughes.

The problem of course is that 75 batteries are not that valuable because there aren't that many true 60 owners looking to upgrade that want your 75. This affects the value of your trade in. So many of those batteries will have to be disassembled so the modules can be used for other applications. The best thing that could happen for 75 owners is that a 120 would be released and then you could pickup 100 batteries from those owners upgrading. And/or that the 75 gets discontinued in favor of another 85.

Last edited:
Reactions: croman and P85_DA
So, what would it cost to swap out a 75 battery for a 100?
March 2018 S75D, 5k miles, so pretty new battery...any exchange credit?

It would cost more to have it done by Tesla then to just sell your 75D and buy a 100D. Like you said, 75D good for 90% of your driving, seems a bit silly to spend over $25k to save urself an hour or so on the other 10%.

@Krash..can u make my 100 bigger...?
Uh no, that is not what I do. I am really good at econometrics and data mining. I am really slow at working on my own cars. I only do that for fun. That is why I keep referring you to people who want to do that for you.
It would cost more to have it done by Tesla then to just sell your 75D and buy a 100D. Like you said, 75D good for 90% of your driving, seems a bit silly to spend over $25k to save urself an hour or so on the other 10%.
At $25,000 yeah you would probably be better to trade in. But my car has leather, alcantera, air suspension and 72A charging so I will be more inclined to upgrade than some, since I can't get those in a factory 100 now. When my warranty expires, if I end up driving someplace and back every weekend and the bigger battery means not stopping, then I'd probably spend the $10,000.