Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 75 or Model 3 Performance Stealth?

Model S 75 or Model 3 Performance Stealth?

• Model S 75 2017

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Model 3 Stealth Performance 2019

Votes: 25 92.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently own a Model S 75 RWD 2017 44k miles. Autopilot enabled. RWD. Out of warranty. Bought it for 40k, and now being offered 44k for it so I said why no try to make a profit.

Looked at a model 3 performance stealth 2019, 14k miles, FSD enabled. Still got about 18 months of warranty. AWD. 53k for it.

Driven both, and I don’t have a preference. I enjoy both equally.

Looking to see what your guys opinion is on trading my Model S. Stupid or right choice?

Little about me. Married, no kids, 26. I do like the space on the Model S but it’s not a big deal. Insurance for the model 3 will be $400 cheaper per year.

Last edited:
Currently own a Model S 75 RWD 2017 44k miles. Autopilot enabled. RWD. Out of warranty. Bought it for 40k, and now being offered 44k for it so I said why no try to make a profit.

Looked at a model 3 performance stealth 2019, 14k miles, FSD enabled. Still got about 18 months of warranty. AWD. 53k for it.

Looking to see what your guys opinion is on trading my Model S. Stupid or right choice?

Little about me. Married, no kids, 26. I do like the space on the Model S but it’s not a big deal. Insurance for the model 3 will be $400 cheaper per year.
Neither. Get a new Model 3. Older-style Model S is headed out to pasture. Early Model 3’s are missing a lot of features and build quality is lacking.

A brand new LR Model 3 is $50K. New Performance is $58K. Not sure why you would pay $53K for a 3 year old vehicle.

2018 P3D is still my daily driver. Personally, I've had a 2016 Model S, but a friend has the AWD 75D, and it's a nice car. Roomy, decent acceleration, and he has the acceleration boost. I'd be happy in either car, but the S seems more luxury, and the P3D is cheaper to run, easier to park, has track mode, but hatchbacks have a lot of advantages, depending on lifestyle.

Reactions: givemeFSD
2018 P3D is still my daily driver. Personally, I've had a 2016 Model S, but a friend has the AWD 75D, and it's a nice car. Roomy, decent acceleration, and he has the acceleration boost. I'd be happy in either car, but the S seems more luxury, and the P3D is cheaper to run, easier to park, has track mode, and very agile, but hatchbacks have a lot of advantages, depending on lifestyle.

Neither. Get a new Model 3. Older-style Model S is headed out to pasture. Early Model 3’s are missing a lot of features and build quality is lacking.

A brand new LR Model 3 is $50K. New Performance is $58K. Not sure why you would pay $53K for a 3 year old vehicle.
A 2019 Model 3 is not an early Model 3, my 2018 Stealth would be an early Model 3. Not aware of any features I'm missing, and the early Stealths had great build quality. These early Stealth's were built in the tent assembly line, and those cars had better build quality that the other assembly line.

I always felt the S was bigger than I wanted. No kids and the 3 was just a better size for me. Better performing, handling and charge rate over the older S. I have 32k on the car and still enjoy driving the car every time I drive it.

It's like comparing a BMW M3 to a 5 series. Personal choice.

Reactions: givemeFSD

My state allows me to pay tax on the difference between a trade in. Unfortunately, Tesla offers a terrible trade in value for my car. It’s going to come out to a lot more with taxes and the their trade in value.

My state allows me to pay tax on the difference between a trade in. Unfortunately, Tesla offers a terrible trade in value for my car. It’s going to come out to a lot more with taxes and the their trade in value.
Uh yeah. That’s why you don’t trade it in. You sell privately.

Unless you have a sales tax rate of 30%+, you’re going to come out ahead.

A 2019 Model 3 is not an early Model 3, my 2018 Stealth would be an early Model 3. Not aware of any features I'm missing, and the early Stealths had great build quality. These early Stealth's were built in the tent assembly line, and those cars had better build quality that the other assembly line.

I always felt the S was bigger than I wanted. No kids and the 3 was just a better size for me. Better performing, handling and charge rate over the older S. I have 32k on the car and still enjoy driving the car every time I drive it.

It's like comparing a BMW M3 to a 5 series. Personal choice.
You aren’t aware that your car is missing a heat pump and a host of other features?

• Funny
Reactions: afadeev

You made this choice already, right?

This thread above says that you ordered the car, it was on its way, etc. The thread above was created before this one, so im confused on why this thread was created for an opinion if you already purchased the car.

Reactions: VanGuy
You made this choice already, right?

This thread above says that you ordered the car, it was on its way, etc. The thread above was created before this one, so im confused on why this thread was created for an opinion if you already purchased the car.
So OP already bought the car and is looking for confirmation that they got a good deal? Weird.

Did you update your MCU? Going to the performance (stealth) you will gain performance. Also much better infotainment if you didn't do the mcu update. The original MCU is slow. You will also gain all wheel drive which is huge if you get snow (be sure to get proper tires though the perfrmance has summer tires not sure if this is true with the stealth or not though to be hones). Also had a model S 75 but I did have the duel motor one. no regrets trading it on the performance. You get used to the single screen fast so not a big deal there. The S did have a better ride with the air suspension though.

I'm cheap and hate knowing I paid more than I could have....I would definitely sell your Model S but then drive some clunker until used car prices come back down. lol

I can't believe a Stealth Performance used is going for $50k+. Mine was $51k new 2.5 years ago. If I was allowed to buy the lease come July, I would definitely have bought it to just sell it immediately and wait for prices to come back down and drive around my junky pickup in the meantime. But like I said, I'm cheap and willing to wait to get a good deal

Reactions: tm1v2
Is the heat pump that much if a big deal? I'd like matrix lights but other than that not sure any differences (69 plate UK model 3 performance).

you basically save around 30-50% power on heating. I'd say its less of a big deal in Europe because we drive faster on motorways (so heating uses less power relatively), our commutes are shorter and when we do do long jouneys i.e. UK to France or whatever the heater becomes less of an issue as once the cabin is completely warmed through powerrequirements arent that high anyway.

Reactions: VanGuy
Give us an update. The first Tesla I had owned was the 2017 RWD model S. Still miss that car. I didn't vote. I think the Model 3 is a much small car compared to the Model S. I would believe you would find happiness in a Model Y. Roomier over the 3 and still handles great.