Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 75 Phone as a key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The phone key feature is available on all Model 3 and Y cars and on refreshed 2021+ Model S and X cars. Older S/X cars only get the key fob.

Incorrect

My 06 2017 S has unlock and can drive without needing my fob.
IMG_1434.PNG

Upvote 0
Incorrect

This is remote start, not phone as key.

Concur, two different things that can achieve the same result, with the same phone. My wife uses her iPhone for "phone as key" (proximity bluetooth) for our 2018 Model 3, but doesn't usually carry the key card as backup. A few days ago, the phone as key didn't work, she knew she could unlock the car with the app still, but didn't realize there is a separate "remote start" (via cellular to cloud to cellular to car) button in the app. So she called me to bring a key card, but I remote started for her with my app.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Upvote 0
Incorrect

My 06 2017 S has unlock and can drive without needing my fob.
View attachment 746044
While similar, I would not call it the same. I have a 2016 S 75 and have the same feature of being able to remote-start, but unlike the phone key for 3/Y models, which is Bluetooth connected, this feature is over data, so I've had *very* rare issues where I could not start my car due to poor cell service.
In my opinion, always carry your key.

Upvote 0
Incorrect

This is remote start, not phone as key.
Concur, two different things that can achieve the same result, with the same phone. My wife uses her iPhone for "phone as key" (proximity bluetooth) for our 2018 Model 3, but doesn't usually carry the key card as backup. A few days ago, the phone as key didn't work, she knew she could unlock the car with the app still, but didn't realize there is a separate "remote start" (via cellular to cloud to cellular to car) button in the app. So she called me to bring a key card, but I remote started for her with my app.
Not the same.
While similar, I would not call it the same. I have a 2016 S 75 and have the same feature of being able to remote-start, but unlike the phone key for 3/Y models, which is Bluetooth connected, this feature is over data, so I've had *very* rare issues where I could not start my car due to poor cell service.
In my opinion, always carry your key.

His question in the subject is, “phone as a key” and you’re saying you can’t use your phone as a key?

When I purchased my car from a private individual, he did not have a FOB. He only used the app. I test drove the car and before agreeing to purchase the car, I told him he would have to purchase a fob for me.

I'm not saying this is the best way to do it, or this is the same as the new vehicles, or to not keep your fob on you, I'm saying that 100% can use the “phone as a key” and not need a FOB. Yes we might be talking about two different features, what I'm stating is that I can unlock and drive off without needing my fob.

EDIT: Here's a video i just recorded of me literally doing what the OP asked. No FOB, unlocking my car, getting in my car and driving off. Using my “phone as a key”

Last edited:
Upvote 0
His question in the subject is, “phone as a key” and you’re saying you can’t use your phone as a key?

When I purchased my car from a private individual, he did not have a FOB. He only used the app. I test drove the car and before agreeing to purchase the car, I told him he would have to purchase a fob for me.

I'm not saying this is the best way to do it, or this is the same as the new vehicles, or to not keep your fob on you, I'm saying that 100% can use the “phone as a key” and not need a FOB. Yes we might be talking about two different features, what I'm stating is that I can unlock and drive off without needing my fob.

EDIT: Here's a video i just recorded of me literally doing what the OP asked. No FOB, unlocking my car, getting in my car and driving off. Using my “phone as a key”

You can argue semantics all you want, you’re just confusing the OP for no reason.

What you describe is “remote start”. It’s completely dependent on the cellular network and tesla’s compute infrastructure to function, making it not particularly useful or reliable for everyday use.

What OP is asking about is “phone as key”, which uses Bluetooth LE to turn your phone into a physical key which can unlock and start the car without any external dependency.

Of course you know this and are being deliberately obtuse for reasons unknown.

Upvote 0
Weird thread....we all know what OP is talking about. He's asking if he can permanently use his phone as the key like Model 3/Y without taking it out of his pocket.

We all know that Model S does not have the Phone Key feature. Yes, you can unlock and "remote start" the car from the app, but it requires connectivity to Tesla's servers and is not extremely reliable. And you have to re-enable it every time you shift into Park. Model 3/Y are a local connection with the car, does not require data connectivity, and does not have to be re-enabled.

Just to further back this up, "Phone Key" is specifically mentioned in the Model 3/Y Owner's Manual. It is not at all referenced in Model S Owner's Manual:

Y: Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

S: Model S Owner's Manual | Tesla

So, OP - NO, your S does not have the permanent "Phone Key" feature that the 3 and Y do, but you can 'remote start' it from your phone in a pinch.

Upvote 0
Weird thread....we all know what OP is talking about. He's asking if he can permanently use his phone as the key like Model 3/Y without taking it out of his pocket.

We all know that Model S does not have the Phone Key feature. Yes, you can unlock and "remote start" the car from the app, but it requires connectivity to Tesla's servers and is not extremely reliable. And you have to re-enable it every time you shift into Park. Model 3/Y are a local connection with the car, does not require data connectivity, and does not have to be re-enabled.

Just to further back this up, "Phone Key" is specifically mentioned in the Model 3/Y Owner's Manual. It is not at all referenced in Model S Owner's Manual:

Y: Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

S: Model S Owner's Manual | Tesla

So, OP - NO, your S does not have the permanent "Phone Key" feature that the 3 and Y do, but you can 'remote start' it from your phone in a pinch.

Just to clarify (on my bolded part of your response), the new 2021 refresh does have Phone as a Key - i.e. you do not need to remove your phone from your pocket to get in and drive away. This functions exactly the same as the Model 3 and Y. For anyone who happens across this thread and is unsure, there you go. Model S prior to the 2021 refresh does not have this function.

Also, this thread is a giant face palm.

Upvote 0
I have a 2016 Model S 75 (just bought) and the app I downloaded connects to my car and gives me some control but the key is not an option. Am I missing something or is there a feature I need to get this to work?
About half of the people on this thread believe they have the ability to read your mind. Can you please clarify your question?

Are you asking if it is possible to drive your car without a key or are you asking about the more advanced "Phone as a key", which negates the need for the key fob?

If you are asking about the first, then yes you should have that ability in your app. The second, no.

Reactions: NathanJax
Upvote 0