Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 75D AP2.0 0-60 Downgraded to 5.2 Seconds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently looking for a used MS 75D through Tesla. Since I've been checking the website almost daily, I noticed recently that AP2.0 and AP1 cars now have 0-60 times of 5.2 seconds. AP2.5 cars are still at 4.2.

Was there a software update to slow down the older MS 75D's?

I know they were uncorked a few years ago to get the extra second. Did Tesla revert back to the original 0-60 of 5.2 secs?

Here are some examples:
2016 Model S | Tesla
2017 Model S | Tesla
2017 Model S | Tesla

I suspect they’ve gotten burned enough times by advertising them all as 4.2 that they’ve just decided to advertise them all as the original 5.2 instead.

I strongly doubt they’ve done anything to “re-cork” cars or anything like that. They’re just setting the expectations floor and if you happen to buy an uncorked car that does 4.2, bonus for you.

The AP 2.5 cars can all safely be listed as 4.2 because they came from the factory uncorked.

I suspect they’ve gotten burned enough times by advertising them all as 4.2 that they’ve just decided to advertise them all as the original 5.2 instead.

I strongly doubt they’ve done anything to “re-cork” cars or anything like that. They’re just setting the expectations floor and if you happen to buy an uncorked car that does 4.2, bonus for you.

The AP 2.5 cars can all safely be listed as 4.2 because they came from the factory uncorked.

I think this makes sense. Although I'm curious to know if I would need to uncork it again if they were actually "re-corked".

Thanks!

Currently looking for a used MS 75D through Tesla. Since I've been checking the website almost daily, I noticed recently that AP2.0 and AP1 cars now have 0-60 times of 5.2 seconds. AP2.5 cars are still at 4.2.

Was there a software update to slow down the older MS 75D's?

I know they were uncorked a few years ago to get the extra second. Did Tesla revert back to the original 0-60 of 5.2 secs?

Here are some examples:
2016 Model S | Tesla
2017 Model S | Tesla
2017 Model S | Tesla

Hey, if you have bought your car, can you confirm rather it came uncorked? If not, have you tried to get Tesla to uncork it to 4.2?

Like @ucmndd said, most likely simply listing all cars which came from factory corked as such.

This would also be inline with Tesla's laser focus on profit - each uncorking costs service time, starting even with figuring out whether the car be safely uncorked (we've heard of cars which started throwing errors after uncorking and had to be re-corked - with Tesla's continuous production changes in hardware every 2 weeks, there are too many possible configurations to quickly determine whether or not they are safe to uncork).

They could conceivable offer it as a paid service, say $500 to figure out whether the car is uncorkable, and $1,500 to uncork if it is, but then they risk having a bunch of entitled whiners saying how "it's not fair" that someone else who got an older and cheaper car can have it uncorked and they cannot (especially if they had to pay $500 to find that out). Elon learned on few occasions that good will doesn't always work out with entitled customers (e.g. optimizing the production line and dropping the car price, or uncorking some cars for free in the past). So, much easier and cheaper for Tesla to just sell all cars which came corked from the factory as 5.2s, anyone who gets an uncorked one gets a bonus and will not complain, while anyone who didn't cannot complain since their car was advertised as a 5.2s car.

I suspect they will stop offering free uncorking too. Save money, and save headaches.

Hey, if you have bought your car, can you confirm rather it came uncorked? If not, have you tried to get Tesla to uncork it to 4.2?

I ended up getting a 2018 AP2.5 car so I avoided this issue. I did talk to a Tesla used car sales person and they said since some of the AP2.0 cars were uncorked and some were not, It would just be easier for them to list all the AP2.0 cars at 5.2 so they do not overstate the speed. So you may still get a uncorked car but you wouldnt know it until after you bought it and tested it.

I ended up getting a 2018 AP2.5 car so I avoided this issue. I did talk to a Tesla used car sales person and they said since some of the AP2.0 cars were uncorked and some were not, It would just be easier for them to list all the AP2.0 cars at 5.2 so they do not overstate the speed. So you may still get a uncorked car but you wouldnt know it until after you bought it and tested it.

You heard a bunch of bullshit. All 2.0 cars should be uncorked. Uncorking has nothing to do with Ap hardware. It is about the battery and after may 2016 all car battery packs had the proper hardware. Oct 2016 was Ap2 reveal.

Reactions: Cheburashka
You heard a bunch of bullshit. All 2.0 cars should be uncorked. Uncorking has nothing to do with Ap hardware. It is about the battery and after may 2016 all car battery packs had the proper hardware. Oct 2016 was Ap2 reveal.
That is not true. Not ALL S75D are uncorked. It was link to a change of hardware in the year 2017. Some S 75D were uncorked, the otherq (I think before April / Mai 2017) could not.

That is not true. Not ALL S75D are uncorked. It was link to a change of hardware in the year 2017. Some S 75D were uncorked, the otherq (I think before April / Mai 2017) could not.
The S75 RWD had a hardware change in July 2017, thus S75 RWD June 2017 and earlier are all 5.5 seconds, and S75 RWD July 2017 and newer are all 4.3 seconds.

For the 75D, July 2017 and newer were delivered "uncorked" (4.2 seconds). However, *most* 75D built prior to June 2017 could be software "uncorked", but not all of them. Thus it required a knowledgeable service center technician to check if those 75Ds could be uncorked or not. It seems that a good portion built around the April 2016 refresh were unable to be "uncorked", but most of the newer ones were able to.

It becomes messy with the online listings, given that the department creating the ads don't have access to determine if the vehicles can be "uncorked" or not, and I'm not sure if service centers really continue to offer the service.

Reactions: KyleDay

That isn’t completely true. Customers weren’t informed it was available, which leads to some cars having never requested. Then there was confusion as to which cars were “eligible” as 60Ds weren’t supposed to be uncorked. Then shortly after, Tesla shut the service down altogether so it could no longer be requested. Combined with a communication issue within Tesla that made this seem true, and then service centers weren’t in sync.

It certainly was not tied to the hardware changes in 2017.

How do I know? I’ve got an early build AP2 (2016) Model S 75D and Model X 60D that was uncorked. I also have an (early 2016) AP1 MX60D that’s uncorked, which they later told me wasn’t supposed to be eligible on the “list” It’s still uncorked and works fine..