Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 75D now on CARB website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new 75 kWh battery will have 259 miles of range and be available as a $3,000 as an option.

Confirmed: Tesla Adds 75D Option To Model S Lineup, 259 Mile Range

tesla-model-s-75d-carb.jpg

Last edited:
I am willing to bet as soon as the first 75d model x roll ff the belt... is safe to assume all s are equipped with 75kwh battery... whatever the label is..
I bet you lunch against that. Firstly, because (P)90D customers would be quite upset. Secondly because that's not how Tesla has done battery upgrades on any product since the company started. Lastly, because it's a waste of profit margin.

doubt it be free. i dont think the 60->70 was free either. It was 60-70D, which was a lot more then 70D - 5K = S70. Still more than the original 60. I think overall expect a price increase.
Actually, S70 before the recent nose refresh was exactly the same price ($70K) as S60 was before it was discontinued, even though S70 includes a bigger battery, supercharging (previously a $2K option), and nav (previously part of tech package) and AP safety features (there was a very small number of S60's that got that, but if I remember correctly they were all inventory vehicles and had AP Convenience package enabled so you had to pay for it). Initially there was no S70, only S60 and 70D, but once S60 was discontinued S70 matched its price.

Nice mark up , 5kwh for $3000....

It is actually cheaper per kWh than the upgrade to the 90D (although you do, I assume, lose the added acceleration).
90D is $20,000 more than a 70D or 65 cents per kWh.
5K more is $3250 at that ratio.
My car is currently in the you have a VIN we are getting parts stage.
I would pay the $3K as I was very close to pulling the trigger on the 90D but couldn't justify it since I don't do a lot of long distance driving.
Of course if I could fall arse backwards into a free upgrade (like the refresh) I would be a happy man.
Not likely I know.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tanquen
I heard back from my shop and was told that my options would be provided when the formal announcement is made. Assuming we pay, I wonder if it is $3000 on top of the new refresh price or if it is the refresh price of $1500, plus $1500 for the 75 for a total of $3000.

I heard back from my shop and was told that my options would be provided when the formal announcement is made. Assuming we pay, I wonder if it is $3000 on top of the new refresh price or if it is the refresh price of $1500, plus $1500 for the 75 for a total of $3000.

Obviously no one has a definite answer right now, but the 90 was a $3k increase over the 85, and for the X the 75 was a $3k increase over the 70 - but they gave the upgrade free to anyone who was already confirmed.

So if Tesla is consistent about it, the 75 will be a $3k increase by itself, in addition to the new pricing - unless you happen to have a confirmed order at the time they decide to discontinue building the 70, whenever that is (which might be a while. Or not.)

Makes sense, so a potential gamble to not upgrade if you're hoping for the 75 and don't get one. Of course, if it's true that they are doing a software downgrade then there won't be any freebies even if the car is built with the 75. I'd be great with a $1500 bump on top of the $1500 refresh price.

I bet you lunch against that. Firstly, because (P)90D customers would be quite upset. Secondly because that's not how Tesla has done battery upgrades on any product since the company started. Lastly, because it's a waste of profit margin.

#1 They have always piss off traditional customer by having rolling updates already... 75 and 90 is still a good margin away.
#2 It is not a waste of margin when X is already being manufactured with the packs... It is an increase of operational cost, if they made a 70 and a 75..
#3 Tesla is a non-traditional manufacturing company, its mere task is to optimize cost and time to market.. the benefit it brings it, everyone who buy new is always getting the newest and greatest.. the disadvantage is.. that newest and greatest might only last 1 day.

In the ideal world.. every car is fully loaded out of the manufacturer and can be unlocked by over the air..

Why?
Just think about it.. Tesla can offer low monthly payment for every car.. and as you got bored, you can unlock stuffs to make yourself feel better...

In the traditional world, you have no opportunity to further pocket money from your customer after the car its sold, other than maintenance which everyone hates.

It is actually cheaper per kWh than the upgrade to the 90D (although you do, I assume, lose the added acceleration).
90D is $20,000 more than a 70D or 65 cents per kWh.
5K more is $3250 at that ratio.
My car is currently in the you have a VIN we are getting parts stage.
I would pay the $3K as I was very close to pulling the trigger on the 90D but couldn't justify it since I don't do a lot of long distance driving.
Of course if I could fall arse backwards into a free upgrade (like the refresh) I would be a happy man.
Not likely I know.

I dont know where you borrowed you numbers from...
Its a $13,000 upgrade from the 70D to the 90D, so $650 per kWh, or 65 cents per Wh.
At the same ratio, it would still be $3250, so you end up at the same number as I do.
I guess the 90 is even better deal, if you consider that you just pay a $1000 premium for more power.

On another topic, I guess we will see a 100D pretty soon, the range difference, especially with the X, is pretty slim now. It would be interesting to see the EPA figures for the 75D, and the real figures not the lowered ones Tesla used to advertise the 70D with(they omitted something like 5 miles). Its always hard to say how much KWh the car really has, since Tesla obviously just takes a nice sounding number thats somewhat close to the real kWh.

Reactions: Tanquen
My DS reports that 70D cars that are built with the 75Kwh battery will be software limited to 70Kwh. Presumably you'd be able to pay for an upgrade. Else presumably keep it software limited to 70Kwh but be able to charge closer to 100% of your 75% battery without causing battery harm.
I thought the most damaging thing was leaving it at low charge. So, the artificial range would be closer to the top already. So, still only top off before immediate abundant use.

And: I wonder how much inventory Tesla had of 70 packs. The cut-over could have been at any time. Probably close to their planned announcement next week. It's been, what, about a month since their 75 pack came out? So, that much inventory of 70's needed using up. New Tesla's being delivered today could still have a 70 pack inside, or could have the new one.

Reminds me of PCIe SSD prices. Changing daily and a huge amount of money. I'll be happy with what I bought (I got top of the line, because the next notch down was illiquid & frickin Amazon sold me a fake, with one week return turmoil.)

Last edited: