Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model s 75D or 100d for acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think that there is a single situation where the extra acceleration will ever be useful as a street car. On the track is a different situation.

Justification for additional acceleration can't be measured in $$

The extra range can be though.

There are two parts to the acceleration.

The first is a constant torque, linear acceleration of power which has been the same between the 75D and 100D since the 75D was uncorked in July 2017. This accounts for about half of a 0-60 run.

The second part of the acceleration comes from the higher max power setting which means the above linear acceleration continues slightly longer to a higher power setting and the 100D always has slightly higher power from this point. All the difference in 0-60 time comes from this second part as the first, constant torque is identical.

The non acceleration power benefits of the 100D include higher high speed passing, especially at very high speeds when the lower amperage and current of the 100D have much less restricting BackEMF power limits. Besides range, the biggest benefit of the 100D is the faster charging.

upload_2018-6-4_11-56-42.png

Last edited:
Normally you would buy 100 over 75 for range. If you want acceleration you need the P.

That said, both 75D and 100D will blow the doors of any production car in terms of useful power for every day driving, except on the Autobahn perhaps over 160 kmh. If I need to pass a tractor on a narrow country road, I'd rather be in the new 75D than even a McLaren