Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reasons I suggested 14-50 over HPWC:

• It is cheaper than the 90d upgrade, but still $500
  • It isn't being used regularly.
  • Outlet could be put anywhere and accessed via PROPER extension cord (if necessary).
  • Could go 20a 240v also (NEMA 6-20) with Tesla adapter for even lower cost

All very good points! we each have to understand their own situation. I think I would probably do the same thing you did.

UMC is portable 40A unit that comes with the car and that you keep in your trunk. HPWC is the optional 80A unit that's hardwired into your house and mounted on the wall. They do the same thing.

"UMC" = "Universal Mobile Connector". In addition to the above, note that it takes a variety of different adapters for plugging into different power outlets. You get two with the car, and others are available for purchase from the Tesla on-line store (or your service center).

"HPWC" = "High-Power Wall Connector".

BTW, are you looking for the DL on the TLAs? ;)

Somewhere on TMC there's a Wiki page that's a glossary of these things.

Bruce.

.....But every now and then we visit family which ends up being about 160 miles round trip and there are no destination nor superchargers on the entire route...
As others have said, save the money, get the 75D and charge at the relatives. Yes, you will end up taking $10 of electricity from them each time, but the 90D->70D savings will go a long way toward special dinners, gifts, etc. Maybe they will even consider an EV purchase because of you. That said, I've driven the 70D a full 150 mi between Tremonton, UT and Twin Falls, ID at about 25 F into a good stiff 30 mph wind. At one point the tractor trailer rig in front of me was driving diagonally (slightly) due to the snow, ice and cross wind. I drove 75 mph until the snow hit, then slowed down to a safer 50-55 mph. It was a bit of a nail-biter given the lack of alternative charging options on Plugshare, but having driven a Leaf for more than 5 years, it was sufficiently difficult, but not extreme. IIRC I arrived with at least 5 mi extra. Therefore, I would not be comfortable suggesting that a family attempt a 160 mi RT in a serious MI winter (unless you're prepared for camping in said weather or you have mid-way charging).

OK one person above said "UMC" you got "HPWC"...lots of abbreviations going on. Can you please elaborate what these are? Thanks much.
UMC is a portable connector you might keep in the trunk, but for many of us it is our only connector and we leave it plugged in at home. The drawback is you must remember to pack it for trips, and I can imagine eventually forgetting it if you take a trip every few weeks or so. The [high power] wall connector (HPWC) is designed to be wired directly by an electrician and not mobile. It is of heavier construction, and capable of charging higher than the UMC`s 40A if the circuit allows. All new cars are capable of accepting 48A, 72 with a software upgrade.
You get 1 UMC with the car. You can either remember to pack it every trip, or buy a second one to keep in the car, or by a HPWC for home and keep the UMC in the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tribaltech
So i was in the same boat as you - torn btw the 75d and 90d. I decided to go with the 90D for the following reasons:
1. Long term better value and investment
2. Winter driving and conditions in NJ are crazy - and I dont want to be worrying about range
3. its always better IF YOU CAN MANAGE THE FINANCE to get the 90d

the numbers are meant for the most IDEAL conditions -- i don't believe any driver stay at 60-65... any wind, rain, will change those numbers
Michigan - its gonna be cold and snowy

If you are buying this car for the intention of selling it or trading it back in a few years, i would debate the 75d -- but for me 90d is a keeper at least for 10 years... so i got a bigger loan...

I hopped on from the Model X forums. I also live in northern NJ (Bergen) but commute to the Hudson Valley area of NY. I just ordered an X 75D but changed it yesterday to a 90D for the above reasons. It's a huge price addition but it alleviates so much winter range anxiety.

• Funny
Reactions: bmah
All this talk about this is making me seriously consider picking up a 60D as a second car - my wife doesn't drive very far each day, nor does it get really cold much where we live. I just might lock in a 60D order before the Nov 22 price increase and see what we get for the extra $2K, maybe 65D? No solid white is the biggest thing that is holding me back though, maybe after price increase it will come back.

2) I am more concerned about this 160-ish mile trip during peak winters here in Michigan. So lets say the scenario is 20 degrees F, 75-80mph average speed on the highway, 80% highway route, and internal heat set to 69 degrees to keep wife and baby toasty.

Judging by my P85D's performance in the winter, a 75D is not going to be able to complete that trip in the conditions you've described.

Thanks! I was still pondering if I should choose a 75d over a 100d because of the financial strain, and my situation is kinda the same as the trip indicated. Your indication that an 85 wouldn't complete the trip is the answer I was waiting for. I find it very difficult to find real world range indications.

I'll stay with my 100d choice :)

• Informative
Reactions: Robotpedlr
Thanks! I was still pondering if I should choose a 75d over a 100d because of the financial strain, and my situation is kinda the same as the trip indicated. Your indication that an 85 wouldn't complete the trip is the answer I was waiting for. I find it very difficult to find real world range indications.

FYI as an update I ended up going with a 75D and after owning my 75D for a year I can say that not once did I encounter range anxiety. Now even more so (than when I just bought it) with the increased number of supercharger deployment that took place in 2017 our range anxiety is pretty much gone.

Unless you live in a place where there’s not many supercharges in your state or would typically do a road trip route that’s going to require that type of range I’d say save your money and go with the 75D. Elon is expanding the supercharged footprint like there’s no tomorrow. So with that I feel you’ll be ok.

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: Joshib and IdaX
Unless you live in a place where there’s not many supercharges in your state or would typically do a road trip route that’s going to require that type of range I’d say save your money and go with the 75D.

It's not so much that there aren't enough SC. I can probably manage with a 60kWh using SC's. But I wont make the wife happy if we have to stop at a supercharger for 20 minutes every time we visit my parent in laws.

If it was just for me, I wouldn't mind that much. But with 2 little kids and all I prefer a trip without stops. Especially when we drive back home late at night and we want the kids to sleep in the car. In those situations I just want to get home.

For longer, unusual trips, I'll have no problems with using SCs.

I've been driving an S75D long distance almost every weekend in extremely cold weather so I've got a pretty good idea of range now.

at ~0F, driving 130 miles I have to keep my speed no more than 70-72 to make it to the next SuC on my trip. That is starting at near 100% and warmed battery, 2 adults. Internal temp set to 68F, and seat heaters at 1, range mode. This trip is heading west so usually into a slight or strong headwind. The stronger the headwind the lower the speed I go. Saying all that I usually arrive with 5-10% left on my battery. 160 miles would be no chance unless i went down to driving at least 60 on a 70mph interstate.

Here is my experience from this past weekend.

This past Friday 1/12/18 my wife and I embarked on a weekend trip from Bethlehem, Pa to Cleveland Oh. We started off fully charged with 260 miles and arrived at the Bellefonte charger in State College with 40 miles left on the clock. This is actually 171 road miles. So we were a little concerned that we used so much more for heat etc. We charged it up to 210 miles and took off west on I-80. The next charger we pulled into was in Hermitage Pa 161 miles away but we only had 9 miles left on the car. While there was freezing rain and heavy snow we charged till we had over 200 miles on the clock for our last leg into Cleveland which is 100 miles away. Tha car - a Model S75D handled beautifully in the nasty snow and ice. We arrived with 50 miles on the clock. We stayed for the weekend and charged at the Macedonia supercharger which was unplowed and pretty much full at one point. I have never seen more than 2 other cars in the 3 months I have been supercharging, however that area of Oh is bare of super chargers.
The return trip on Monday was terrible as I pulled into the Falls Creek (Dubois) Superchargers and NONE OF THEM WORKED. Luckily, I got one charger to trickle charge 50 miles in one hour and I left for Bellefonte where again I could not charge in the same slot where I was successful on Friday on my trip out. I moved 2 slots over and luckily was able to get a full charge to make it home. So I called Tesla support who claimed I had a cold battery at Falls Creek but I argue that I had no issues in Hermitage or Bellefonte on the way back. But my concern is what do you do if all the slots don’t charge and you don’t have enough to ak every it to the next charger. I was lucky but may not be so the next time. Also allow at least a 30 percent cushion for cold weather. Not happy as my wife bit off all her nails during this trip.

• Informative
Reactions: avesraggiana