Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 75D Uncorking SAGA, the Scam of Tesla Used, and an actual question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could actually use some help and information in this situation from anyone that might be in the know.

Approximately 1-2 month ago I ordered a 2016 Tesla Model S 75D from Tesla’s Used Inventory of cars. I flew to chicago to pick it up and noticed that my car was still locked as a 70D battery. I brought it back to Reno, NV with little issues and got the battery unlocked after an email the the delivery advisor.

My big issue comes with uncorking the Model S (by that I mean they flat out refuse to). On Tesla’s website the Model S 75D is quoted as having a 0-60 time of 4.2 seconds with a top speed of 140mph and a total range of 259 miles.

So back to my story, I thought Tesla would just uncork the Model S with a service center visit so I set an appointment within the app, I arrived at the service center a week or so later to do both the uncorking and fix another small problem I had with a detached panel on the door. They told me they would run remote diagnostics on the battery and reschedule another appointment if I could be uncorked (They should have done this beforehand).

That reschedule or even callback never happened, I just got ignored so I decided to reschedule on the app. A few days later I got a call and was told that my car was ineligible for the uncork, I pushed on and the guy told me that tesla no longer performs uncorking on 75Ds because the states performance figures were no accurate.

After that I contacted my delivery advisor and he told me to just reschedule the appointment and that he would send them an email. I rescheduled and went to also fix another unrelated problem with the power liftgate system. I was told again that I was ineligible but this time another guy said my car could not mechanical do it, the guy said he would send a followup email with details as to why but as you guessed, that never happened.

I contact my delivery advisor and generally said this is not within his work so he won’t help with this any longer. I scheduled another appointment at a service center 120 miles from my home in hopes they could help but same story of ineligibility.

My question is, does anyone know what I can do from here? Is this the level of compliance I should expect for something like this? Do I have to sue tesla in order to get this fixed?

Why does tesla advertise these cars as having a 4.2s 0-60 if they cannot guarantee that themselves. They have access to endless remote diagnostic tools that just tell them what can and cannot be done with the car.

What happened here would be the equivalent of if you went into a bmw dealer, ordering a brand new mercedes e63s amg and instead of receiving the beautiful handcrafted 4.4L biturbo v8 just receiving a v6 or whatever comes in the base model. This is not a small difference in performance for tesla, it is a matter of ~150hp and a 1s 0-60 being shaved off. I am tired of being jerked around by tesla and not getting an accurate response, I am starting to feel slightly scammed because I would not have purchased a 75D if it said 5.2s on the buy page instead of 4.2s. The 4.2s was the reason I decided not to just get a LR model 3 or go for a similarly priced used Model S p85d.

for anyone wondering, I do have an earlier production run vehicle with a 137xxx vin number.

Too add on, my Model S was purchased in very good condition with 37k miles. About $45,300 was what was paid for it. Can any owners help me out? Also does anyone know of any ways to uncork the model s going around tesla?

Only refresh 75D can be guaranteed uncorked. 70D unlock to 75D is a nosecone S (older front nose).

You car very likely cannot be uncorked.

Tesla shouldn't have advertised yours as capable. If they won't do anything contact a lawyer.

Only refresh 75D can be guaranteed uncorked. 70D unlock to 75D is a nosecone S (older front nose).

You car very likely cannot be uncorked.

Tesla shouldn't have advertised yours as capable. If they won't do anything contact a lawyer.
Mine is with the refreshed nose cone and a 75kwh battery pack. The sell the ones with the old nosecone as 70s since they only have a 70 kwh battery pack.

Its a refreshed bumper, the vin number is 137xxx. My biggest issue is that compatible or not, It was advertised at 4.2s 0-60 on tesla used website at time of purchase on my specific listing.
MIne is a June 2016 build with a VIN of 144*. I got mine uncorked a month ago. This was almost a year after I bought the car as I incorrectly assumed it had been uncorked prior to me taking delivery as I simply went by what Tesla confirmed (that it would be uncorked before I picked it up). I got it uncorked in the same manner as you already tried - scheduled an appointment, then someone contacted me via text that it was eligible and a ranger came out to my house and performed the procedure.

If your car can't be uncorked (and I have no idea if it can or cannot), I don't know what else you can do since it was advertised as such.

2016 75D - CPO with a major heart-wrenching issue

Read that thread, maybe send a PM to @NetRat to see if he can help you.

Basically, Tesla is right, your car as a very early production 75D doesn't have the necessary hardware to be "uncorked". The pyro fuse in the battery needs to be updated to a revised part.

You're also right, Telsa is careless in the way they advertise these cars and many that aren't eligible end up getting advertised this way.

Long story short, you're in for a fight and will likely need to file for arbitration or threaten legal action like NetRat did to get them to take you seriously. But there's at least one case of them eating the cost of installing the pyro fuse and uncorking a "non-uncorkable" car to make it right.

2016 75D - CPO with a major heart-wrenching issue

Read that thread, maybe send a PM to @NetRat to see if he can help you.

Basically, Tesla is right, your car as a very early production 75D doesn't have the necessary hardware to be "uncorked". The pyro fuse in the battery needs to be updated to a revised part.

You're also right, Telsa is careless in the way they advertise these cars and many that aren't eligible end up getting advertised this way.

Long story short, you're in for a fight and will likely need to file for arbitration or threaten legal action like NetRat did to get them to take you seriously. But there's at least one case of them eating the cost of installing the pyro fuse and uncorking a "non-uncorkable" car to make it right.
Thank you, this is interesting information to know. Didnt know all that was holding it back was the fuse but I assume they dont want to cause its expensive to take out the battery just to change the fuse.

Mine is with the refreshed nose cone and a 75kwh battery pack. The sell the ones with the old nosecone as 70s since they only have a 70 kwh battery pack.

I guess your car is at a cutoff. It is likely one of the first refresh nosecone. You'll want to look up the iprotocolsensor field. You'll need 4 or greater to be able to be uncorked. You can have a tech remotely query to obtain the answer.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Here's the synopsis of my "success" saga:

• My 75D advertised at 4.2 seconds (uncorked), but config variable (now no longer accessible) and testing showed corked (5.2 seconds)
  • Contacted sales rep, local dealership, and Tesla support where I faced confusion (uncorking? never heard of it), misdirection (your car is uncorked, it was a 70D and now it's a 75D), and silence.
  • Routine service visit and asked about uncorking. Service rep said (paraphrase) "your car is corked and according to the database, your vin shows your car as uncorkable. We will take care of it". After several hours or trying (huge credit to the service guy for trying), my car's hardware wasn't compatible with the uncork.
  • Research, forum posts, emails, more research, even more research, and forum posts.
  • Called my state's, Maryland, Attorney General's Office, Consumer Protection Division. After brief explanation of issue with false advertising, they recommended I send a certified letter to my local Tesla dealership and the Tesla Corporate Office.
  • A week later, Tesla service contacted me for an appointment to uncork my car. They needed to order a couple parts and drop the battery pack to make the hardware compatible for the uncorking
Keep at it and I hope I can help expedite getting your 75D uncorked.

Another case where Tesla's customer service could be greatly improved. It's clearly possible to retrofit the hardware to make it compatible for early 75D models. So instead of simply saying "sorry your vehicle is not compatible", they could just say "we'd need to order x parts and it requires y labor so we'll charge you z since your vehicle is not compatible" (for original owners, and for pre-owned vehicles advertised as such they should just do it or not label it as a 4.2 second car).

Here's the synopsis of my "success" saga:

• My 75D advertised at 4.2 seconds (uncorked), but config variable (now no longer accessible) and testing showed corked (5.2 seconds)
  • Contacted sales rep, local dealership, and Tesla support where I faced confusion (uncorking? never heard of it), misdirection (your car is uncorked, it was a 70D and now it's a 75D), and silence.
  • Routine service visit and asked about uncorking. Service rep said (paraphrase) "your car is corked and according to the database, your vin shows your car as uncorkable. We will take care of it". After several hours or trying (huge credit to the service guy for trying), my car's hardware wasn't compatible with the uncork.
  • Research, forum posts, emails, more research, even more research, and forum posts.
  • Called my state's, Maryland, Attorney General's Office, Consumer Protection Division. After brief explanation of issue with false advertising, they recommended I send a certified letter to my local Tesla dealership and the Tesla Corporate Office.
  • A week later, Tesla service contacted me for an appointment to uncork my car. They needed to order a couple parts and drop the battery pack to make the hardware compatible for the uncorking
Keep at it and I hope I can help expedite getting your 75D uncorked.
Thank you, someone sent me to your forum and I spent the morning trying to read it. I will definitely start with trying to contact sales cause I have tried both the rocklin and my local reno sparks tesla service centers and have gotten pushed off by both. I will try looking into talking to the attorney general or sending a certified letter or whatever after. Thank you for the reply, I am happy I finally found someone with the same problem so I can have a guideline as to what to do. My car was manufactured in the same month at yours 04/16, it is a black model s with every option except the cold weather package and premium audio.also I got it used about 1 and a half months ago from tesla so it will eat me up if I dont try my hardest.

Thank you, someone sent me to your forum and I spent the morning trying to read it. I will definitely start with trying to contact sales cause I have tried both the rocklin and my local reno sparks tesla service centers and have gotten pushed off by both. I will try looking into talking to the attorney general or sending a certified letter or whatever after. Thank you for the reply, I am happy I finally found someone with the same problem so I can have a guideline as to what to do. My car was manufactured in the same month at yours 04/16, it is a black model s with every option except the cold weather package and premium audio.also I got it used about 1 and a half months ago from tesla so it will eat me up if I dont try my hardest.
Hi Kristian, any luck on this? I’m fighting for this myself. Mine is a 05/16 build, refreshed front fascia. The just pushed a firmware update today after I fought with them. Service was saying this isn’t possible but engineering said it is but now my car is throwing an error of BMS_u024 Vehicle configuration mismatch, schedule service.

Also how can you check that your car is uncorked? Does the power meter change in the instrument cluster (0-200kW when accelerating)

Hi Kristian, any luck on this? I’m fighting for this myself. Mine is a 05/16 build, refreshed front fascia. The just pushed a firmware update today after I fought with them. Service was saying this isn’t possible but engineering said it is but now my car is throwing an error of BMS_u024 Vehicle configuration mismatch, schedule service.

Also how can you check that your car is uncorked? Does the power meter change in the instrument cluster (0-200kW when accelerating)

There is no external setting. Before you could do an API call and determine if perf_config is set properly.

Your best bet is to accelerate from a stop with >95 percent SoC. Your front motor should pull so hard that you feel it slightly raise up. Your kW should fill the power gauge.

You can also use TM spy or the like. Uncorked 75D pulls 353kW. Corked does 310 max.

The corked tops out somewhere in the 200s while the uncorked in the 300s. I sent them a certified letter and got contacted by a used car representative. We talked it out and they basically let me reverse the entire transaction and let me keep it till I get a new one. I ended up getting a 2017 model s 90D with full self driving and a few more options.