Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 85 and others faster supercharging on 2019.20.2.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had never seen more than 97Kwh on my 2016 facelift 75D, until 16.2 update, and I started seeing 104kwh (I know not that big a diff, but I had NEVER crossed 100kwh - so that was encouraging for me :))...I don't supercharge often, may be it has improved even more after 20.1/20.2.

What's your charge percentage when you start charging?

I am too scared of going below 10% so I usually make it to SCs with 12-14% and I get about 120kW for a few minutes on my 85D.

I do go lower from time to time, but I've been as low as maybe 5%. I've seen it say above 120kW until at least 30-40%. I can pull my TeslaFi data to get true numbers... but I've posted them elsewhere on this board.

I was around 32% or so when I charged last night on 20.4.1 and hit a peak of 116kW right off the bat but it immediately tapered down to around 101-105 and stood in the 90's for a while. Before my best was 97kW.

Just hit 127kw on my 2017 S75 with 20.2.1. Easily the highest I’ve seen yet. This was from about 20%-35% SoC on a navigation route with the supercharger as the destination, so I assume en-route battery prep applies. It ramped down after about 35% but stayed above 100 for a bit. By the time I got to 50% it had dropped below 100 and tapered from there. Overall I’m thrilled with the new profile - huge jump from old charging limits. Note, my car definitely sounded like it could take off and fly the rest of the way with the fans while supercharging, but otherwise went great. — Dan

D57F61EF-A975-4217-9BEC-07809B4EC376.jpeg
C4D96048-D709-474C-A4CE-6642258055B4.jpeg

Did you notice how the taper went?
My only "solid" data point for my 2014 85 D-pack is that I usually go under 100kw at 80 miles of range.

Regardless of the taper, the more Kw, the better.
The taper was quicker than normal, but I think that was due to a few variables - first, when I was driving there it was 90 degrees out. Second, the speed limit is 80 and I was doing between 85-90 most of the way there so the battery was really hot. Lastly, I had someone pull into the stall next to me right around 35-40% I wasn't paying enough attention to see if that made my speed drop or not. It said 1 hour to get from 5% to 90% and it actually took an hour and 6 minutes, so close, but I'm not sure how much that was impacted from the three things I mentioned above.

This was my taper from yesterday. Please note what I mentioned in my previous post about thinking it's tapering quicker than normal in this case.

Comparing it to the the chart from Tesla Battery Charging Data from 801 Cars, in my case the taper obviously occurs way sooner than other cars. I'm curious too see what others have with their cars and how this new charge curve impacts them.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 12.21.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 12.21.14 PM.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 115
  • Informative
Reactions: maximizese
This was my taper from yesterday. Please note what I mentioned in my previous post about thinking it's tapering quicker than normal in this case.

Comparing it to the the chart from Tesla Battery Charging Data from 801 Cars, in my case the taper obviously occurs way sooner than other cars. I'm curious too see what others have with their cars and how this new charge curve impacts them.

Thanks for sharing the data. I'm hoping your charging session was a fluke and perhaps you had a goofy stall/cabinet or something. While it's nice to see a higher peak charging rate at 130kW, it was only achievable below 10% SOC. You're right about the taper hitting sooner. A few months ago you'd be at about 63kW at 60% SOC; your most recent session shows 40kW at 60% SOC.

I won't hit a Supercharger anytime soon, but I'm hoping to see an improvement. Most of all, I hope the new charging patterns will provide better battery protection. I can't help but correlate the reported reduced charging rates/rated range (along with recent firmware updates) with the recent battery fires in Europe and Asia.

Reactions: camthehombre
What battery pack and year of car do you have?
Have you noticed and loss of range recently?

Interesting you ask. My range has dropped about 2 miles in the last few weeks. That is since I've dome some trips and some "new/faster" SuperCharges. It could be purely coincidental... but prior to that it was pretty static for the last 4-6 months.

Reactions: camthehombre
Just hit 127kw on my 2017 S75 with 20.2.1. Easily the highest I’ve seen yet. This was from about 20%-35% SoC on a navigation route with the supercharger as the destination, so I assume en-route battery prep applies. It ramped down after about 35% but stayed above 100 for a bit. By the time I got to 50% it had dropped below 100 and tapered from there. Overall I’m thrilled with the new profile - huge jump from old charging limits. Note, my car definitely sounded like it could take off and fly the rest of the way with the fans while supercharging, but otherwise went great. — Dan

View attachment 423370
View attachment 423371

@dpilone I am curious. What app did you use to get the charging graph? I would love to have that information. As for me, with 2017 MS100D at about 20% SOC, I have seen as high as 143kw for about 5 minutes or so. Then as others note, seems like a quicker taper after that.