Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 85 Loaner: 109,000 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very fortunate that I am able to get my 2015 P85D car upgraded to Ludicrous Mode this week, and Tesla was able to get me a Model S loaner. The car is an earlier 85 Kw RWD car, 2013 model year, with 109,000 miles and not many options. However, it is a fantastic chance to see what a 109,000 mile Model S looks, drives, and feels like.

Some comments:

1) Acceleration is super strong and smooth, just as smooth as a new one. Really a testament to the durability of the drivetrain.

2) 90% charge for the 85 Kw battery is 231 miles.

3) Car tracks straight as an arrow, corners well (it has coils), and does not ride like the suspension is out/shot. It needs the tires to be balanced -- but overall really impressive ride.

4) Interior is standard leather seats, they look good for the wear.

5) Fit and finish is not as good as my 2015 car -- larger gaps on the doors and trim and a few squeaks.​

Anyway, I thought I would share.

I am very fortunate that I am able to get my 2015 P85D car upgraded to Ludicrous Mode this week, and Tesla was able to get me a Model S loaner. The car is an earlier 85 Kw RWD car, 2013 model year, with 109,000 miles and not many options. However, it is a fantastic chance to see what a 109,000 mile Model S looks, drives, and feels like.

Some comments:

1) Acceleration is super strong and smooth, just as smooth as a new one. Really a testament to the durability of the drivetrain.

3) Car tracks straight as an arrow, corners well (it has coils), and does not ride like the suspension is out/shot. It needs the tires to be balanced -- but overall really impressive ride.

5) Fit and finish is not as good as my 2015 car -- larger gaps on the doors and trim and a few squeaks.​

Great, news, but they had to have done a battery change at some point. I can only get 220 at 90% in fair weather southern Califorina at 53,000 miles. That, or it is the best managed battery ever.

Wow, about 4% degradation assuming a balanced pack after 109,000 miles. Of course, we don't know the service history so we don't know if the pack has been replaced. Still, an impressive report.

Some comments:

Thanks for this info. What's interesting is that I think the SC's give every loaner a full range charge when they're returned. So 231 for a 90% charge perhaps tells us something important about charging.

Thanks for this info. What's interesting is that I think the SC's give every loaner a full range charge when they're returned. So 231 for a 90% charge perhaps tells us something important about charging.
So, I'm being dense here. Are you saying I might want to do top if off to see if it resets? I think I have only done that once since October, and don't remember a big change.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Here are some shots.... I was told it was a 2013, but the VIN is much later. Looks like the roof was painted black,I guess an option for earlier cars?

I will try to look at the battery SN later..

I hadn't kept up that much with it, but weren't contactor failures rather high on the early ones?

That would seem to make it a higher possibility of being a newer pack...of course many were also switched out with relatively low miles.

Interesting stuff - thanks for posting.

Now if they would only accede to the requests of numerous owners and service managers who continue to request an ESA for miles 100,001-150,000. There are already so many exclusions in the current ESA for 50,001-100,000 miles that it hardly seems a difficult proposition. Apologists aside.

1) Yes, a black roof was one of the three options, back in the day: body color roof, black roof, pano roof
2) Probably not a lot of options because they did not have a lot of options in 2013 :)
3) I would be surprised if its a 2013. I have a summer 2013 build and the VIN in the 15xxx range
4) While I am only at 82K miles, the overall aging of the car is minimal--drivetrain is solid, interior shows almost no wear, and 100% charge is ~250 rated miles

Some comments:

4) Interior is standard leather seats, they look good for the wear.​

That's really a testament to having an electric motor and no transmission. No leaking valve seals, no cylinder blow-by or slow degradation of power/ power delivery, no gearbox slipping, etc. It generally works until it doesn't. Also those seats look amazing for the mileage.

Great, news, but they had to have done a battery change at some point. I can only get 220 at 90% in fair weather southern Califorina at 53,000 miles. That, or it is the best managed battery ever.

The number is kind of arbitrary either way but 220 seems low. Also SoCal, 39,000 miles and mine has gone up from 228 to 229 reliably. I guess that we have to have some outliers though.

What's the last 5 digits of the VIN? Mine is 26xxx with ~40k and it's still solid.

My 90% is 237 miles right when it finishes. I've gone down to zero and full, many times with several long Supercharged trips.

Another outlier. I don't think many people are pulling that high for their 90%.

Nice pics! I think old Model S cars are going to be keepers (at least for 8 years after production).
Yes, factory black hardtop roof used to be an option.

I think so too. I have this odd love for my car because it's an early production that pre-dates parking sensors and folding mirrors. Kind of like it's simultaneously this technological marvel and yet at the same time it's the most antiquated, rough around the edges version of the car.

3) I would be surprised if its a 2013. I have a summer 2013 build and the VIN in the 15xxx range

Doesn't it have to be a 2013? I don't see any parking sensors. I thought those became standard once they were introduced and they were released at some point in 2013. OP, does this car have folding mirrors? That VIN does seem really high.

Doesn't it have to be a 2013? I don't see any parking sensors. I thought those became standard once they were introduced and they were released at some point in 2013. OP, does this car have folding mirrors? That VIN does seem really high.​

Parking sensors were introduced in August 2013 as a $500 option and I don't believe they became standard until all the cars started shipping with AP hardware.