Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 85 Loaner: 109,000 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's also very unlikely that it's the original drive unit.

I'm not sure why many people assume that early production cars required drive unit replacement. My Model S (delivered 2/5/2013) has over 72,000 miles on the original drive unit and battery. When new my 100% charge rated range was 208 miles (60KW battery) and after 72,000 miles my 100% charge rated range has only decreased to 200 miles. The car still drives/handles like new, although I must admit that the drive unit has developed a noticeable (but slight) "whine/milling" sound on moderate acceleration. I think it gives the car character :)

I'm not sure why many people assume that early production cars required drive unit replacement. My Model S (delivered 2/5/2013) has over 72,000 miles on the original drive unit and battery. When new my 100% charge rated range was 208 miles (60KW battery) and after 72,000 miles my 100% charge rated range has only decreased to 200 miles. The car still drives/handles like new, although I must admit that the drive unit has developed a noticeable (but slight) "whine/milling" sound on moderate acceleration. I think it gives the car character :)

That milling noise is going to need a replacement. It only gets louder from here ;)

The good news is, the new units are fairly robust. I have one in my 12/2013 car now.

90% at 230 miles means approx 257 miles at 100% which would be what an almost new car has. That seems unlikely at more than 100k miles. I have taken good care of my battery and at 70k miles I'm way lower than that. So a car that is older and has more miles has a significantly better battery? Seems odd. Looking at the Model S battery survey it also shows that this is not at all common.
MaxRange Tesla Battery Survey

Other than that I totally agree, the car holds up very well. Having 72k miles on mine I still fee like I have an almost new car. My battery lost roughly 6% capacity which is very reasonable.

My Classic S was a 34353 VIN, a few cars away from the loaner. I took delivery March of 2014. Black roof was an option, and so were parking sensors for $500, but at the time they were just parking sensors, no AP. In fact the sensors on the rt/lt fenders were not part of that sensor suite.
Fog lights were also a separate option for $500
I sold that car with 33k miles to a friend, and he has 45k on it now. I had the DU replaced for milling noise at 20k, and he's experiencing it again as well.

Another data point. My Model S was delivered in Feb 2013, VIN under 4400. About 50,000 miles. 90% charge is 225 and no replacement of battery pack or drive train. Still gives the same immediate acceleration. Only thing I did was add aftermarket parking sensors which were the most important non available accessory when we bought the car. We only had an 8 month wait :) down from an expected 12 months.