Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 85 - loosing remote access until reset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey!

My June 2015 build Model S 85 w/ >280000km recently needed a new 12V battery. In parallel I've started using teslafi. Before the 12V change I've noticed a rather high standby loss and the car was basically unable to "go to sleep". Also the "12V battery needs replacement" message came more and more frequent. After changing the 12V I realized that the + connector was a bit loose, thus I'm not sure whether this was the root cause for the 12V replacement messages... charging/regenerating the old one, will run some tests eventually.

After I've changed the 12V the car went into sleep again and even further, with activated energy saving mode and disabled always connected setting, the car went into a deep sleep even during the day:

- loss of remote connection
- blank/black IC/CD and subsequently "systems are going to be started" message during the day, even when leaving the car for a couple minutes at random intervals with a rather long waiting time until driving and even longer until connectivity is restored.
- remote access "broken" afterwards >> only reset with pressed brake fixes it, reboot time rather long and even longer until connectivity (LTE) is back.

I've mitigated some of the effects by disabling range mode, disabling energy saver mode, disabling always connected. So now the remote access stays mostly throughout any given day, sometimes even not that. Nearly every morning the remote access was lost during the night (both Tesla App and Teslafi) and the above mentioned reset is necessary.

Anyone out there able to point me into the right direction on how to fix this? Thanks! Oaito.

PS: When disabling teslafi by changing the password thus invalidating the access the behavior is the same :-(

Last edited:
I've mitigated some of the effects by disabling range mode, disabling energy saver mode, disabling always connected. So now the remote access stays mostly throughout any given day, sometimes even not that. Nearly every morning the remote access was lost during the night (both Tesla App and Teslafi) and the above mentioned reset is necessary.

Looks like you have already fixed the issue. What's the exact problem now?

Nearly every morning the remote access is lost during the night (both Tesla App and Teslafi) and the above mentioned reset is necessary.

Anyone out there able to point me into the right direction on how to fix this?

@Droschke Thanks for pointing to it, changed in the quote from "was" to "is" - hope it makes now sense. (Since I can't edit my original post :( )

With the options he disabled, I think it's MCU1.

Suggestion: I'd remove Teslafi hardware, as it is still connected to the CAN bus and could be causing problems (not too likely, but best to remove anything that has the potential to cause problems).

Next it could be the eMMC in MCU1 is starting to fail. I think Tesla can test this remotely, and MCU1 now has a 8 year warranty. If MCU1 is at fault, Tesla can replace the eMMC to fix it for free.

If you are considering the MCU2 upgrade, it may be well worth it and it may also fix the issue.

Reactions: Droschke
With the options he disabled, I think it's MCU1.

Suggestion: I'd remove Teslafi hardware, as it is still connected to the CAN bus and could be causing problems (not too likely, but best to remove anything that has the potential to cause problems).

Next it could be the eMMC in MCU1 is starting to fail. I think Tesla can test this remotely, and MCU1 now has a 8 year warranty. If MCU1 is at fault, Tesla can replace the eMMC to fix it for free.

If you are considering the MCU2 upgrade, it may be well worth it and it may also fix the issue.

Absolutely. I forgot about the options he has disabled and that they are only available on MCU1.

I also agree that the MCU2 upgrade is the preferred solution, otherwise even if the OP fixes this issue it won't be long before he faces another one.

BTW, are you sure about the 8 year warranty for MCU1 (without the ESA of course)?

Ah, I'm not using teslafi w/ hardware. Rather their subscription and access through a access token. For testing purposes I've reset my tesla account password thus invalidating any access token including the teslafi access, as expected to no avail (as mentioned in my original post in the PS).

To be clear: The issue described exists with nothing attached to the CAN bus.

The emmc was changed by Tesla less than a year ago. The microSD card for the nav data was changed as long as the SD card for the gateway (logging). All was fine for months until the 12V battery change and subsequently my S85 starting to actually go into energy saving again.

At this point in time I do not want the MCU upgrade for several reasons besides the topic of this post.

The remote diagnostic of the MCU done by the SeC came back with no findings: MCU okay / state of the art behavior.

Anyone ot htere whove had similar issues with his S85 or S90x with MCU1 and was able to fix it without upgrading to MCU2?

BR Oaito.

If the loss of remote access is your main issue at this time, where is what I was experiencing:

When I was still on MCU1, I started to notice I had no remote access (via Tesla App) if my car was parked but was left unplugged. Whereas, if the car was left plugged-in there was no issue with the remote access. I always used to leave the car plugged-in while parked and never noticed this being an issue for me till when I decided to run some vampire drain tests which included to leave the car unplugged as well to collect data.

• Informative
Reactions: oaito