Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 85 software enabled 0-60 speed increase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So,

I have been reading about the s 75 and 75d speed increase and I was contemplating if it would be possible for Tesla to increase the 0-60 time for older non performance model S 85's. I have read differing opinions regarding the older DU's are actually the same for the model S and a software only speed increase would be very possible.. I am sure it would help sell the large inventory of older CPO 85's!! The non AP 1 85 and p85's are pretty much going for the same price so it wouldn't impact the used market really. Thoughts?

Its interesting, I thought that as well.. But after having some discussions with some folks in the aftermarket electric car world said they were in fact the same. But that being said its complete speculation on my part and mostly just wishful thinking. :)

OK this isn't looking good... I guess I have to buy a faster one :(
Its a huge bummer case I initially read that the insurance rates for a P85 were much higher that the 85..
So when looking for my CPO I focused on the 85... Once purchased I had my insurance provider run a P85 vin and the insurance cost was the exact same!! Grrrrrr.

My understanding is that the very early cars 2012/13 had the same DU, but not any more. That was done initially to limit the variability of the production process
I have a 2012. They had to explicitly get a P part #. I've read the reports from aftermarket tinkerers as well. I have not dissected multiple cars, so I cannot dispute. I guess it is possible Tesla used same DU with 2 part numbers. But it would be uncharacteristic of how they behaved in 2012/13. At that time, there was no talk of software limiting for manufacturing efficiency. It was more traditional manufacturing cost accounting: you get the part you paid for.

Reactions: tskguy
OK this isn't looking good... I guess I have to buy a faster one :(
Its a huge bummer case I initially read that the insurance rates for a P85 were much higher that the 85..
So when looking for my CPO I focused on the 85... Once purchased I had my insurance provider run a P85 vin and the insurance cost was the exact same!! Grrrrrr.

it depends on the insurance company, some classify them specifically, some dont

Just heard about this in the Tesla August newsletter which says - "new Model S and Model X 75 kWh vehicles received an over-the-air software update and now have improved performance, with the ability to accelerate from zero to 60 mph one second faster."

Am I right that the upgrade does NOT benefit the Model S 60 even though it has the same hardware as the 75?

Sooo... are 75 owners noticing a difference here? Is it worth buying an upgrade just for the acceleration even if the extra couple miles of battery isn't important to me?

...Am I right that the upgrade does NOT benefit the Model S 60 even though it has the same hardware as the 75?...Is it worth buying an upgrade just for the acceleration even if the extra couple miles of battery isn't important to me?
Upgrading a 60 to a 75 will not currently enable any performance increase. But it could be enabled by Tesla at little expense to them. Likely the biggest expense is warranty liability. Tesla is currently upgrading all of its inventory cars, whether or not they have the new, post mid June, drive unit.
...Still conflicting information and no one knows for sure yet.
We're pretty clear on what Tesla has upgraded. But Tesla is extending those upgrades over time and we don't know how far that will go for free and when, if or how far back they might offer paid upgrades.