TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S 85 software enabled 0-60 speed increase?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by tskguy, Aug 11, 2017.

1. tskguy

tskguy Member

So,

I have been reading about the s 75 and 75d speed increase and I was contemplating if it would be possible for Tesla to increase the 0-60 time for older non performance model S 85's. I have read differing opinions regarding the older DU's are actually the same for the model S and a software only speed increase would be very possible.. I am sure it would help sell the large inventory of older CPO 85's!! The non AP 1 85 and p85's are pretty much going for the same price so it wouldn't impact the used market really. Thoughts?

2. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

I thought it was conclusive that P and non-P drive units are different part numbers. That was the case when I had my DU replacement... they had to get a P unit.

3. tskguy

tskguy Member

Its interesting, I thought that as well.. But after having some discussions with some folks in the aftermarket electric car world said they were in fact the same. But that being said its complete speculation on my part and mostly just wishful thinking. :)

4. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

My understanding is that the very early cars 2012/13 had the same DU, but not any more. That was done initially to limit the variability of the production process

5. tskguy

tskguy Member

OK this isn't looking good... I guess I have to buy a faster one :(
    Its a huge bummer case I initially read that the insurance rates for a P85 were much higher that the 85..
    So when looking for my CPO I focused on the 85... Once purchased I had my insurance provider run a P85 vin and the insurance cost was the exact same!! Grrrrrr.

6. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

I have a 2012. They had to explicitly get a P part #. I've read the reports from aftermarket tinkerers as well. I have not dissected multiple cars, so I cannot dispute. I guess it is possible Tesla used same DU with 2 part numbers. But it would be uncharacteristic of how they behaved in 2012/13. At that time, there was no talk of software limiting for manufacturing efficiency. It was more traditional manufacturing cost accounting: you get the part you paid for.

• Like x 1
  7. tskguy

tskguy Member

I guess Wk057 may be my only other option :)

8. kev1n

kev1n Member

it depends on the insurance company, some classify them specifically, some dont

9. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

I believe there was a thread where he made a regular 85 a p85 in fact

10. SR-71-BlackBird

The different part is the inverter.

11. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

I think the different part is the firmware in the inverter.

• Like x 2
  12. Demetraki

Demetraki Member

Has anyone changed their 85 drive unit to a P85 drive unit?

13. tskguy

tskguy Member

It would make sense that the inverter would be different.... I also read on here once that Tesla early one would install a P Drive Unit as a replacement once in a while depending on availability.

14. jefferson4door

Just heard about this in the Tesla August newsletter which says - "new Model S and Model X 75 kWh vehicles received an over-the-air software update and now have improved performance, with the ability to accelerate from zero to 60 mph one second faster."

Am I right that the upgrade does NOT benefit the Model S 60 even though it has the same hardware as the 75?

Sooo... are 75 owners noticing a difference here? Is it worth buying an upgrade just for the acceleration even if the extra couple miles of battery isn't important to me?

15. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

I think you missed one word in that. Is the Model S 60 a new Model S 75? (The new 75s had new hardware that the OTA update "uncorked."

We know from other threads that for this claim Tesla considers 75kWh cars made on/after around June 19th, 2017 as "new".