Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 85 versus 70D? Trying to Choose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New member here. Seeking collective wisdom of Tesla veterans.

I've been reading a lot of posts on here for some time. I was actually close to pulling the trigger last year on a Model S, but some job interference took my mind off cars.

I am now ready to do the deed, but cannot decide between the 85 or the 70D.
An 85D would be obtainable, but I would have to eliminate some options.
However, the $5,000 difference between an 85 / 70D is not substantial and I will soon move to Arkansas to start a business, so AWD is not a requirement.

(Lack of Service Centers and SC's are more my worry).

I like the extra range of the 85, but from what I've read on here, the AWD component of the 70D makes it handle better.
Performance between the two seem to be a wash.

Faster SC charging seems to favor the larger 85 battery.

So I'm still up in the air.

Any thoughts from the group? Thanks

I see S85 owners on TMC that occasionally drive down to single digit range (or lower). Longer range can also mean lees supercharger stops needed on trips, saving time. Also, the frunk space may come in handy. So you might be happier with the 85.

It was a lot easier to choose between the 60 and the 85.

GSP

I went to a meetup yesterday and we had a P85 and P85D side-by-side. The difference in the frunk truly is pronounced. Not only do you lose the microwave cubby, you loose a good bit of the depth of the main section too. For instance, imaging that in a single motor, you can put a temporary spare flat in the frunk, and still have the microwave cubby. On a dual motor car, you have to stand up that spare and just have room for a second spare standing up too. I hadn't realize how different it was until I saw it in person. If it was just losing the microwave cubby, that would not have been so bad.

If you don't need AWD and the 5K price difference is not significant for you, probably better to go for the longer range of the 85, especially considering the lack of SC in AR. The 85 handles very well for normal daily driving.

I'm exactly in your boat. If I could afford the 85D, that's the best of both worlds - performance and range. But, just like you, I would have to eliminate some of the options and I don't necessarily want to do that (maybe an inventory car might work though . . .)

I drove the 70D and it's performance was OK. I haven't driven the 85D and am scared that if I do, I'll HAVE to have it.

Being in Florida, I don't see the need for AWD; however, with the ultimate demise of the RWD lineup, I'm also fearful to pull the trigger on the S85 and then have it be obsolete the next day . . .

Again, if you can stretch it, I'd suggest the 85D. I've got about 6 months to talk my wife into it!

I see that it's a difficult choice, I'd be in the same situation.
Without the experience have with the car, I'd probably save the $5k and get the 70D. Inventory 85D is a good idea if you can find what you want.

I must say I love the front trunk and use it all the time for stuff that won't fit in the smaller one. Since I always back into a parking spot, the front trunk is also easier to get at after I park.

I don't know if anybody (not an employee) has supercharged the 70D yet, so we still don't really know if the battery pack will supercharge faster than a 60 or not. Almost definitely slower than the 85, but probably not by too much. This won't matter for @ahurst for quite some time in Arkansas, but could be a factor for @chriSharek. Florida is pretty loaded up with them.

AWD will be better pulling into traffic from a side street. I have to be careful with RWD, the rear wheels will slip easily under hard acceleration while steering.

As far as the RWD 85 becoming "obsolete the next day," I wouldn't worry about that. Whether or not they discontinue the RWD, it's a great car. If you use the front trunk, you'll be glad you got it before they discontinued it. If they discontinue the 85, the 85D won't be reduced in price. If it's what you want, get it while you can.

I couldn't justify 10K for slightly better performance and slightly more range. With 3 kids, the reality is that anything requiring more range will find us in the minivan. And when I compare the 70D performance to driving our minivan, I'll be thrilled. I just figured I'll never test drive the 85D and I don't know what I'm missing out on. :)

I couldn't justify 10K for slightly better performance and slightly more range. With 3 kids, the reality is that anything requiring more range will find us in the minivan. And when I compare the 70D performance to driving our minivan, I'll be thrilled. I just figured I'll never test drive the 85D and I don't know what I'm missing out on. :)

I said almost the same thing in another 70D vs. 85D thread.

For $10k, that's ~$100-$150/month difference, and considering we take at most 1 road trip a month, we can always take the wife's SUV. The cost of gas will be a lot less than the monthly payment difference.

Another thing that has me leaning towards the 70D is the fact that Tesla has improved the performance of both the P85D and the 85D using the OTA updates. They might do that to the 70D at some point.

The acceleration is great, when you're the front car at the light - not typically the case. So, I'm leaning towards getting all the options I want on the car rather than enjoy those few times I'll get to goose it at the front of a light.

@Brass Guy, pics of your metallic green 85? Killer color . . . custom?

I'm exactly in your boat. If I could afford the 85D, that's the best of both worlds - performance and range. But, just like you, I would have to eliminate some of the options and I don't necessarily want to do that (maybe an inventory car might work though . . .)

I drove the 70D and it's performance was OK. I haven't driven the 85D and am scared that if I do, I'll HAVE to have it.

Being in Florida, I don't see the need for AWD; however, with the ultimate demise of the RWD lineup, I'm also fearful to pull the trigger on the S85 and then have it be obsolete the next day . . .

Again, if you can stretch it, I'd suggest the 85D. I've got about 6 months to talk my wife into it!

I hesitate to test drive the 85D as well. I have driven the 60 and 85. Not the 70D yet. Is the 70D performance really just ok? I was hoping for something a bit more exciting.

I hesitate to test drive the 85D as well. I have driven the 60 and 85. Not the 70D yet. Is the 70D performance really just ok? I was hoping for something a bit more exciting.

When I went in to test drive, the 70D wasn't available. My Owner Advisor told me the 85D they had was "pre software update" and should provide a decent proxy. It had more power but also more weight than the 70D.

I guess it must depend on what your metric of "okay" is. I even thought the 60 was pretty nice when I drove it, and the 70D outperforms it pretty well, if I recall correctly. On paper its 0-60 numbers are about the same as the 85, although people who have driven both are prone to comment about the D feeling like it's "on rails" or similar. I know the handling of my 85D feels a lot more "glued to the road" then my friend's 85. All of which is a long-winded way of saying that I bet the 70D is better than "just okay". Whether it's better, worse, or about the same as the 85 in terms of driving pleasure probably depends a lot on your feelings about rear wheel drive. I know if I lived in Denver, I'd opt for the all-wheel-drive option without a second thought.

@Brass Guy, pics of your metallic green 85? Killer color . . . custom?
Custom? Haha - you must be new around here!
Original colors were Black, White, Silver Metallic, Grey Metallic, Blue Metallic, Green Metallic, Brown Metallic, Pearl White, and Multicoat Red. The green and blue were both very dark. You may find forum posts of people complaining there there were 3 shades of black, 4 shades of white, brown and red.
I'm not going to clutter this thread with a photo of mine, but you can use your favorite search engine: "Green Tesla Model S" and you'll see the color.

Custom? Haha - you must be new around here!
Original colors were Black, White, Silver Metallic, Grey Metallic, Blue Metallic, Green Metallic, Brown Metallic, Pearl White, and Multicoat Red. The green and blue were both very dark. You may find forum posts of people complaining there there were 3 shades of black, 4 shades of white, brown and red.
I'm not going to clutter this thread with a photo of mine, but you can use your favorite search engine: "Green Tesla Model S" and you'll see the color.

Relatively new, yes. I am familiar with the nice British Racing Green, but didn't know they called it green metallic - I would never call it that. That is a great color too BTW!

Honestly any Tesla be it 60, 85, 85D or any P85?? has more than enough power for any scenario in everyday traffic. Personally I prefer the S85 RWD because it feels more alive (IMO) than an AWD drive car. Also the frunk in the 70D & 85D is really a lot smaller and that could be important.

My choice today would be a CPO S85 if I didn't want autopilot or a new S85 with autopilot. I would skip AWD all together and I live in a snow climate.