Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 85D leaking fluid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2015 S85D is leaking fluid from near the front driver-side axle. The fluid is clear in color and seems slightly viscous. I don’t think it’s water because it stained our concrete garage floor.

It leaked quite a bit when I pulled it out of the garage this morning. My partner noticed the drops in the garage and called me to tell me to check my car. I parked it for several hours while spending the day with family. There was a small puddle under the car when I got back to it this evening but the leak seems to have slowed.

Any ideas? Axle seal?

Attachments

• C47C1802-89FB-407B-8D58-6CE5ED581521.jpeg
    C47C1802-89FB-407B-8D58-6CE5ED581521.jpeg
    567.9 KB · Views: 161
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
So it appears the battery coolant is blueish color and the glycol in the fluid makes it feel a little like vegetable oil. A/C refrigerant should leak out as a gas so that should be ruled out. I'm wondering if it's AC condensation (water), windshield wiper fluid, or brake fluid. My hope is that it's the former. Any change you can wipe the fluid with a white paper towel to get a better idea of the fluid color and whether or not it evaporates or leaves a residue?

• Informative
Reactions: KarenUpNorth
So it appears the battery coolant is blueish color and the glycol in the fluid makes it feel a little like vegetable oil. A/C refrigerant should leak out as a gas so that should be ruled out. I'm wondering if it's AC condensation (water), windshield wiper fluid, or brake fluid. My hope is that it's the former. Any change you can wipe the fluid with a white paper towel to get a better idea of the fluid color and whether or not it evaporates or leaves a residue?

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, it appears my car is leaking battery coolant. I thought the fluid was clear, but I put a white piece of paper under the leak overnight and it’s very definitely blue and viscous as @maximizese described.

I am not receiving an error *yet* but I have to drive 185 miles from northern WI to the Madison airport first thing tomorrow morning to fly out for a work trip. Does anyone know if it’s safe to drive my car that far?? The nearest SC is in Eden Prairie (4 hrs from home) with the next closest in the Chicago area (5.5 hrs). If I can drive it to MSN, at least I’ll be closer to Chicago if I need to get my car there....ugh!

My best guess is that I’ve lost about a cup of fluid, but I have no idea of the total fluid capacity. Any advice or experiences with this will be appreciated.

Help!

I
Not a good idea to drive it. It takes about the same amount as an ICE.

When driving, the coolant is under pressure, and if it's leaking when not driving it'll be worse while driving.

Thanks for the info. I’m not going to drive it. I called roadside assistance and they are sending their mobile unit to check out my car tomorrow. I’ll be driving my better half’s P85D to the airport tomorrow. (He’s so good to me!!) . Fingers crossed this will be under warranty, but not holding my breath...my car has 77K miles on it.