Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 85D rated range (UK)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to summarise my guess above:
175.84 = range in typical miles at 79%
222.73 = range in typical miles at 100%

My car uses a figure of 311 Wh/mi to match estimated range to typical range in the energy screen. So I'm guessing in your example the average Wh/mi figure it's using is 301 (average measured consumption over the last 5/15/30 mi)

A pet peeve of mine is that if you do average 311 Wh/mi in reality, you won't achieve the projected Typical range. The real figure for parity is nearer 288 Wh/mi. I have a theory that the energy screen projection assumes the battery has 70 kWh useable whereas the real figure is nearer 64 kWh.

@cezdoc Thanks very much :) Learning all the time! How many miles have you done?
Just over 24000 miles. Mine's RWD - the D adds a few extra miles of range I think. Very happy with performance over the past 3 years - turns out I got a battery which holds its capacity pretty well and can still charge at 114 kW, albeit for less than a minute if the SOC is down near 10%!

Reactions: vitesse
We're on a few miles over 30,000 and just over 3 years.

The trip display reckoned we managed 257Wh/ mile on Saturday over 56 miles of M25/M11 and into central London via the City, which was very reassuring, so we beat range estimate.

We're doing a day trip to to France (Dover ferry) on Saturday week, which will be interesting for achievable range.

That could well be our first sample of Supercharging since having the car (collected last Friday).

We're on a few miles over 30,000 and just over 3 years.

The trip display reckoned we managed 257Wh/ mile on Saturday over 56 miles of M25/M11 and into central London via the City, which was very reassuring, so we beat range estimate.

We're doing a day trip to to France (Dover ferry) on Saturday week, which will be interesting for achievable range.

That could well be our first sample of Supercharging since having the car (collected last Friday).
257 Wh/mi is pretty impressive, you're obviously driving very smoothly (and doing a reasonable run in warm, dry weather definitely helps. Using a Supercharger still impresses me (I do a handful of trips each year when I can use the network), don't be alarmed if the car runs noisy fans to keep the battery cool! Sounds like it will be a great day out.

I just tried plugging my own car into tesla-info and got the following:
Charge level 58
Ideal range 125.88
Battery range 159.45
Est range 131.31
Usable battery 57
I'm going to backtrack about what Battery range means - I think @arg is right in that it's range in Rated miles rather than 100% capacity.The Ideal range figure definitely = range in typical miles.
I'm also intrigued that my usable battery number is less than the charge level but I guess it could be a rounding error. I haven't been out to see what the car says - usually regen is limited even though the weather is getting warmer, so it could be a temperature effect.

I just tried plugging my own car into tesla-info and got the following:
Charge level 58
Ideal range 125.88
Battery range 159.45
Est range 131.31
Usable battery 57
I'm going to backtrack about what Battery range means - I think @arg is right in that it's range in Rated miles rather than 100% capacity.The Ideal range figure definitely = range in typical miles.
I'm also intrigued that my usable battery number is less than the charge level but I guess it could be a rounding error. I haven't been out to see what the car says - usually regen is limited even though the weather is getting warmer, so it could be a temperature effect.
So I was intrigued enough see what my car was reporting...
Charge level was 57%, Projected range: 132 mi, remaining range (Typical): 126 mi; remaining range (Rated): 159 mi
This confirms @arg's suggestion - I was derailed by the OP's example where, by cooincidence, battery range = projected typical range at 100%.

So in summary
Charge level = battery SOC [%]
Usable battery = SOC [%] reported on dash (not sure why mine differs by 1%)
Ideal range = remaining range [Typical mi]
Battery range = remaining range [Rated mi]
Est range = remaining range calculated from average Wh/mi over last 5/15/30 mi

I also calculate
Battery range = Ideal range x 1.2667
Ideal range ~= 221*(Usable battery/100) (221 is my projected range at 100% and has gradually decreased from 225 when new).
For the OP Ideal range ~= 222.5*(Usable battery/100) currently

Switching Range Mode ON adds a tiny bit to the Ideal range (1-2 mi for me, although I think it's more for dual cars).

Reactions: vitesse and arg
Still works!

:)

Likely to fall quickly initially and then level off. Mine fell a second time (no idea why), and is now 3 years old

This "Battery Report" from TeslaFi (if you want to try it get a referral code from someone, you are welcome to mine, as that will increase your Trial from 2-weeks to a month)

TeslaFi_RangeGraph.jpg

I haven't yet charged our 70D to 100% - will probabaly do that early tomorrow morning before leaving for our day trip to France.

At 90% the 'Typical' range (the more conservative of the two range estimates you can display in European cars) displayed on-screen is exactly 200 miles, so the arithmetic suggests 100% will be 222 miles. This is the earlier 'real'' 70kWh battery, not a software-limited 75kWh pack.

I'm still a bit fixated on trying to work out how much battery degradation the battery has undergone (3 years 2 months and 30.5K miles). I haven't yet found any European 70D owners posting their Typical miles at 90 or 100% but I understand that a new 75D reports 241 Typical miles at 100%? So the arithmetic suggests a new 70D would report about 225 miles rounded up at 100%. If that's correct then our car might have only lost 3 miles of Typical range at 100%, or about 1.4%? If my arithmetic is correct - then that's quite reassuring.

Abetterrouteplanner reckons, if we leave home with 100%, we should have 37% charge remaining when we arrive at the Calais Supercharger (not the Eurotunnel one). That's calculated with 5% battery deg. That's the target to beat :D We're leaving at 4AM so it will be cool so that might cost a bit of efficiency to start off with. The energy consumption target is under 288wH.mile.

Abetterrouteplanner reckons, if we leave home with 100%, we should have 37% charge remaining when we arrive at the Calais Supercharger (not the Eurotunnel one).

If you are going through the tunnel? any reason not to charge on Folkestone side ("while you wait")? Maybe you are planning to park at Supercharger in Calais and wheel the beer-trolley to the car? :p

On the return (possibly outbound, too, but I don't remember seeing any when we went across a few weeks ago) there are Chargers in the Flexiplus Lounge carpark ... if you are travelling Posh ... as well as in the normal car park.

Or maybe you already told me :oops: you were going by ferry?

The energy consumption target is under 288wH.mile

Sounds very optimistic ...

I can get a bit below 300 by not going above 70 MPH, having lots of roadworks / traffic, and drafting trucks (at 56MPH) for a proportion of the journey.

ABRP says 340 wH/mile for my car, and 324 wH/mile for yours ...

You ought to be able to put Dover / Folkestone into your SatNav (sat on your driveway) and see what the Trip Graph shows as arrival energy (obviously extrapolating from whatever SOC you currently have to starting with 100%)

If you have range enough, and Supercharger is available at destination/next stop, then you are better off driving faster / using more Juice, and charging for longer - overall journey time will be shorter.

If you are range-challenged then slow down.

Once you have Destination set in SatNav the Trip Graph will show you predicted vs. actual, and if predicted arrival is above, say, 10% then you can speed up, and if below that then slow down.

I haven't yet charged our 70D to 100% - will probabaly do that early tomorrow morning

You can assume that it will get from 90% to 100% (on normal wall charger NOT at Supercharger) at same rate as normal, but allow a full additional hour once at 100% to balance the cells (i.e. the car may take that long to actually stop charging). It will probably take less than 30 minutes ... but it might not.

You won't gain much range in that time, but periodical charging fully to 100% (rather than 99.9% :) ) will mean the car has better prediction of range (and occasional cell-balancing is A Good Thing)

So start early enough before you leave (or do it overnight and leave the car sitting at 100% for a couple of hours

• Informative
Reactions: vitesse
You can assume that it will get from 90% to 100% (on normal wall charger NOT at Supercharger) at same rate as normal, but allow a full additional hour once at 100% to balance the cells (i.e. the car may take that long to actually stop charging). It will probably take less than 30 minutes ... but it might not.

You won't gain much range in that time, but periodical charging fully to 100% (rather than 99.9% :) ) will mean the car has better prediction of range (and occasional cell-balancing is A Good Thing)

So start early enough before you leave (or do it overnight and leave the car sitting at 100% for a couple of hours

Yeah - going on the ferry as it was a special offer but now also realise the tunnel, in theory, is more green (assuming the electric they use is).

Thanks for the tip regarding the 100% charging. It's on 90% now so I will time it to get to 100 about 90 minutes before we leave.

Reactions: WannabeOwner