TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model s 90D vs. 911 carrera s, tried by myself

Discussion in 'Model S' started by icell, Sep 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. icell

icell Member

I recorded the video last week. The voice of “ohoo” is mine :)

90D is impressive, smooth, the torque was going down slowly, but not aggressive as 911.

Because of the bad GPS signal inside, the speed data in the video from my iPhone is not correct. I use the g data from GSpot and speed from performance box to draw the curves.

Now you could see the difference of them:

3.pic.jpg

By the way, there were two passengers in 911, and three in 90D. So it’s not the best of course.

You may record your data and video too, by using the free GSpot app, all in one.

2. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Member

Please explain the nearly 8 seconds to 100kph. I don't get it.

3. icell

icell Member

"Because of the bad GPS signal inside, the speed data in the video from my iPhone is not correct. I use the g data from GSpot and speed from performance box to draw the curves.”

Don’t know if you have noticed I put a p-box outside. For the windshield of tesla jamed the GPS signal. The video used GPS of iPhone, the iPhone was behind the windshield, so the signal was bad.

But the acceleration data from iPhone had not been jamed, it’s accurate enough. So I used it to draw the curve.

4. RumRunner

RumRunner Member

FWIW, I'm fortunate enough to own a 2016 MS P90D and a 2010 911 Carrera 4S. My gut tells me all I need to know - the off-the-line acceleration of the P90D beats the 911 hands down, but the race is closer in the 60mph-90mph sprints. Oddly enough, I am enamored with the silent acceleration from a standstill of the MS, but also love the whine of the Porsche engine opening up for the high speed sprints. Lucky I get the best of both worlds!

• Like x 4
  5. icell

icell Member

Wow !

I did not drive a p90d, that’s pity.
    Guess the curve of P90d could be 10% higher than 911, am I right? I’d like to quantify the feeling in a car :)

You could shoot a short video like this. Which makes easy to see the g data vs. speed :

That will be cool!

6. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

wow, that's brave putting the pbox outside! pick up the external GPS antenna and mount it under the rear hatch glass, perfect signal back there...

7. icell

icell Member

Oh, didn’t know that.
    Thank you for your advice. I’ll try next time.

8. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

A 911 would not stand a chance against a P90D. Would not even be close. A 911 turbo would be closer 0-60 but would again be crushed by a P100D. A regular 911 is not a very fast car. Only 350 HP for the 2016 model. A Corvette Stingray has 455. Mustang GT 435.

9. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

My bad. Just noticed it was a Carrera S which has 420 hp. Still less than a Mustang GT and would be crushed by a P90D 0-60. Not even worth wasting the electrons to prove it...

10. Jeff4155

Jeff4155 Member

The Mustang might have the upper hand when it comes to power and torque, but a 911 with less weight can put that HP to the road better.

11. icell

icell Member

Yeah, there should be no doubt.

Really want to see a curve created by others, to see if my test had used full power of the 90d.

12. Neohippy

Neohippy Member

True but 911 shines on twisty roads and tracks. It's one of the greatest cars of all time. Not a car someone buys to go 0-60

13. tstafford

tstafford Member

Two totally different cars. I have a P85D and a GT4. Tesla is the best DD I've ever owned and the GT4 is perfect for the track. I rarely drive the Porsche except for HPDE, the Tesla is just too nice to leave in the garage.

• Like x 2