Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 90D vs P100D - Which to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an order in for a Model S 90D with free supercharging and ventilated seats due to be delivered in March. I am considering an upgrade to an inventory 2016 P100D identical to my 90D order. What are you thoughts?

Background:
I have always wanted a Model S since the day I first say one. I live in Los Angeles the land of thousands of Model Ss. In 2014 I started my research looking at the Model S when Autopilot hadn't even come out yet but the hardware was an option. I finally settled on an M3 and March of 2015 I ordered my M3 which was delivered July 1st 2015. I ordered it because it was amazing bang for my buck and I got $4000 of MSRP on a custom order. The deal was too good to pass up. All the while I had my M3 I thought about my Tesla. When I got the memo that unlimited free supercharging was going to be no longer I put my M3 on swapalease.com and within a day I had it assumed and on January 15th I gave my M3 to it's new owner. I own a 2016 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali which I am driving full time until I get my Tesla. I intend to purchase and finance my Model S at 2% for 72 months.

My Order:
I ordered December 26th a 90D with every option except the rear facing seats and dual chargers. It came out to $116,700 (with the delivery fee from what I remember and a $1000 off from a referral code). The specs are in my signature. The car is due to be delivered early March.

My Problem:
The problem I face is two fold, both are very first world problems.
1.) The first is that I have a philosophy which is that when purchasing or leasing a vehicle just go for the best. You'll never have a regret or look back if you got the best that was available at the time. When I purchased my 2008 Ford F250 Lariat I added aftermarket nav, sat radio, sound system, aux switches, the list goes on and in hind sight I should have just bought the truck loaded which is what I did when I bought my GMC 8 years later.
2.) I am impatient and want my car now. (so this rules out the 100D cause I am not waiting longer for the car)

Pros and Cons:
90D -
Pros: Great range, "fair price," plenty fast (though I haven't driven one but I imagine it's fast).
Cons: Can't think of any except to say the 100D came out and I'm annoyed but given problem number two it eliminates it.

P100D
Pros: Aligns with my philosophy and is readily available, has better range, maintains free unlimited supercharging and ventilated seats
Cons: The price makes me want to gag. I mean really $40,000 more! I could buy 66% of a 60D. The depreciation is staggering (from what I can tell). Does not corner or brake any better than a 90D or even a 60D (according to my sales guy)

Thoughts:
I live 1 mile from a supercharger in Burbank so unlimited supercharging would be awesome cause I frequent the Trader Joe's across the street and there a full super market and Starbucks next door. I am leaning toward keeping my 90D for two reasons. It's probably a more sensible amount of money. It will likely meet my needs. But I can't get that P100D out of my mind. With Tesla releasing new stuff every quarter will I feel my 90D will feel like a dinosaur too soon. (ie the 100D). Also, with Telsa releasing new stuff every quarter I fear that P100D will depreciate incredibly fast and just based on that I will be flushing money down the toilet. I mean I can keep the $40,000 and when I feel like my 90D is a dinosaur go get a new Model S. But really my intention is to buy the car and keep it for 8 years and get rid of it the a month before that battery warranty runs out. So I feel like if I spend the huge huge huge bucks and get the P100D I'll be set for 8 years but at an inordinate sum. I mean for that money I could buy a Prius (base model) every year for 8 years. I think I know my answer but it would be nice to hear other's thoughts. Why go P? Once you go P do you every go back?

HELP!

I think I know my answer but it would be nice to hear other's thoughts. Why go P? Once you go P do you every go back?

From someone who has owned two Performance Model Ss and now owns a "regular" 90D - I could not be happier with my 90D.

Don't get me wrong, the Performance models were impressive but for me I found that once I demonstrated the incredible acceleration to all my friends and family I just didn't use it anymore. Also, the 90D is no slouch in the acceleration department - it's 0-60 time is the same as my 2013 BMW M5 was.

Maybe I'm getting old...

From someone who has owned two Performance Model Ss and now owns a "regular" 90D - I could not be happier with my 90D.

Don't get me wrong, the Performance models were impressive but for me I found that once I demonstrated the incredible acceleration to all my friends and family I just didn't use it anymore. Also, the 90D is no slouch in the acceleration department - it's 0-60 time is the same as my 2013 BMW M5 was.

Maybe I'm getting old...
Okay! This is exactly what I needed to hear. I am glad I reached out.

How about depreciation on P cars? Are my instincts right that they depreciate far more?

Example:
If after 3 years a $116,000 90D has 55% of its value intact that out be $52,000 depreciation if a $155,000 P100D has the same value of 55% after 3 years that's $69750 of depreciation.

Thought Process:
If a P100D in fact depreciates by the same percentage as a 90D I'm passing. However if a P100D deprecates the same $52,000 as the 90D then really its the same effective cost to own, ignoring differences in sales tax and interest. P car owners would probably know well what happens here.

Reactions: Maximilien
I did some more research here is what I found

P100D under Tesla's lease program has a 55% residual. $68,550 cost of ownership without tax or interest for 3 years

90D under Tesla's lease program has a 57% residual. $50,000 cost of ownership without tax or interest for 3 years.

The question becomes what is the depreciation over the following three years. Could one assume the P100D will hold its value longer?

I've had a P85 for 4 years - which has 0-60 in 4.2 second acceleration (what is now available with the S 90D/100D).

The fast acceleration has been great - and when we placed the order for our 100D, we were comfortable with staying with the same performance vs. spending an additional $40K for even faster acceleration and 20 miles less range.

For typical driving, you really can't use the full acceleration of a 90D/100D.

I live 1 mile from a supercharger in Burbank so unlimited supercharging would be awesome cause I frequent the Trader Joe's across the street and there a full super market and Starbucks next door.
Before you do this, evaluate how much money you would actually be saving and how much time you would be wasting. Convert that into $/hour and it's probably below minimum wage. The Burbank SC also tends to be crowded, so include wait-in-line time in that calculation. And subtract the cost of Starbucks from the money saved.
Supercharger - Burbank

The ability to charge at home and always have a full battery without stopping off anywhere is a major benefit. When people ask how long my car takes to charge, I say "10 seconds. 5 to plug in at night, and 5 to unplug in the morning." Don't turn those 10 seconds into an hour.

Before you do this, evaluate how much money you would actually be saving and how much time you would be wasting. Convert that into $/hour and it's probably below minimum wage. The Burbank SC also tends to be crowded, so include wait-in-line time in that calculation. And subtract the cost of Starbucks from the money saved.
Supercharger - Burbank

The ability to charge at home and always have a full battery without stopping off anywhere is a major benefit. When people ask how long my car takes to charge, I say "10 seconds. 5 to plug in at night, and 5 to unplug in the morning." Don't turn those 10 seconds into an hour.
Very Good point which is the reason I bought a wall connector (and cause there was a free with a BWP rebate.) $40 for the permit but I know how to do the wiring. Free Unlimited Supercharging is a gimmick I get it. If I didn't lose my ventilated seats and dark ash wood I'd likely upgrade to a 100D but there is no way I am losing features for more range when I never drive that far.

Is the only Performance model currently offered the P100D? There isn't a P90D anymore?
I was thinking of upgrading from a 2013 P85 but I don't want the lesser performance. Range is not the most important feature to me. On the other hand, the P100D is priced out of my limits.

I did some more research here is what I found

P100D under Tesla's lease program has a 55% residual. $68,550 cost of ownership without tax or interest for 3 years

90D under Tesla's lease program has a 57% residual. $50,000 cost of ownership without tax or interest for 3 years.

The question becomes what is the depreciation over the following three years. Could one assume the P100D will hold its value longer?
DHG,
The base, 3 year, 12k/year, lease residual value for all models of Model S is 50%. They then add the $7500 tax credit to the residual value which boosts the residual value %. However, the more expensive the vehicle, the less the residual value % is, since the $7500 is a smaller % of the total. So, if you are purchasing the vehicle, I dont think it would be wise to use the artificially high lease residual as an indicator to the actual value. This is a clever way for them to handle the tax credit, as it provides the full value of the tax credit over the three year lease, but makes it so no one would ever consider purchasing their vehicle at the residual value at the end of the lease, because the residual value "buy out" will be inflated by the tax credit amount.

I was struggling with some of the same decisions as you. In December, I was on the fence, hoping that the S100D would be introduced. Ultimately, I purchased a discounted P100D inventory car that was exactly how I would have configured one. My SA was diligent in finding me one that matched my criteria. It had 168 mi on it, and had an $11,300 discount. Then I opted out of the "Ludicrous" option (which you can do on an inventory car) which reduced the price another $10k. After those deductions, the additional cost for a P100D was about $18k rather than $40k and became much more palatable. I still got the perforated seats I wanted, along with the all glass roof and unlimited supercharging. One other thing, if you opt out of "Ludicrous" mode, you still get "Insane" mode, which is MUCH faster and more responsive than sport mode. A non "Ludicrous" P100D in "Insane" mode is still blisteringly fast. I have a friend with a ludicrous P100D, and we did a back to back comparison of his car in Ludicrous+ mode vs my car in Insane mode. Clearly, the Ludicrous+ mode is faster, but the experiential, seat-of-the-pants difference between Ludicrous+ and Insane is much smaller than the difference between Insane and Sport.

I am not sure if there are inventory cars available with that kind of discount at this point, but worth looking into.

Reactions: mookhead
I went through a similar thought process - p100d or 90d? The bottom line is the P is good for one thing only; bragging rights. You'll likely have the fastest car in your circle of friends, and all your buddies will line up for that thrill-ride launch. Once.

It's all launch, though. Nothing else about the P100D will impress a car person.

In my case, I opted for the 90d, and will use the 40k to buy a proper track car (used lotus? Ariel atom? A noble? Shopping around is half the fun!) and get the best of both worlds, and instead of commuting at 10mph in a 2.4 second commuter boat, I get to commute in a 4s commuter boat and daydream about what corner-blasting 2 seated track toy I'll spend the 40k I save on.

Or maybe a decent performance sailboat... how much does a J24 cost anyway?

Reactions: DIL and P100DHG.
I have an order in for a Model S 90D with free supercharging and ventilated seats due to be delivered in March. I am considering an upgrade to an inventory 2016 P100D identical to my 90D order. What are you thoughts?

Background:
I have always wanted a Model S since the day I first say one. I live in Los Angeles the land of thousands of Model Ss. In 2014 I started my research looking at the Model S when Autopilot hadn't even come out yet but the hardware was an option. I finally settled on an M3 and March of 2015 I ordered my M3 which was delivered July 1st 2015. I ordered it because it was amazing bang for my buck and I got $4000 of MSRP on a custom order. The deal was too good to pass up. All the while I had my M3 I thought about my Tesla. When I got the memo that unlimited free supercharging was going to be no longer I put my M3 on swapalease.com and within a day I had it assumed and on January 15th I gave my M3 to it's new owner. I own a 2016 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali which I am driving full time until I get my Tesla. I intend to purchase and finance my Model S at 2% for 72 months.

My Order:
I ordered December 26th a 90D with every option except the rear facing seats and dual chargers. It came out to $116,700 (with the delivery fee from what I remember and a $1000 off from a referral code). The specs are in my signature. The car is due to be delivered early March.

My Problem:
The problem I face is two fold, both are very first world problems.
1.) The first is that I have a philosophy which is that when purchasing or leasing a vehicle just go for the best. You'll never have a regret or look back if you got the best that was available at the time. When I purchased my 2008 Ford F250 Lariat I added aftermarket nav, sat radio, sound system, aux switches, the list goes on and in hind sight I should have just bought the truck loaded which is what I did when I bought my GMC 8 years later.
2.) I am impatient and want my car now. (so this rules out the 100D cause I am not waiting longer for the car)

Pros and Cons:
90D -
Pros: Great range, "fair price," plenty fast (though I haven't driven one but I imagine it's fast).
Cons: Can't think of any except to say the 100D came out and I'm annoyed but given problem number two it eliminates it.

P100D
Pros: Aligns with my philosophy and is readily available, has better range, maintains free unlimited supercharging and ventilated seats
Cons: The price makes me want to gag. I mean really $40,000 more! I could buy 66% of a 60D. The depreciation is staggering (from what I can tell). Does not corner or brake any better than a 90D or even a 60D (according to my sales guy)

Thoughts:
I live 1 mile from a supercharger in Burbank so unlimited supercharging would be awesome cause I frequent the Trader Joe's across the street and there a full super market and Starbucks next door. I am leaning toward keeping my 90D for two reasons. It's probably a more sensible amount of money. It will likely meet my needs. But I can't get that P100D out of my mind. With Tesla releasing new stuff every quarter will I feel my 90D will feel like a dinosaur too soon. (ie the 100D). Also, with Telsa releasing new stuff every quarter I fear that P100D will depreciate incredibly fast and just based on that I will be flushing money down the toilet. I mean I can keep the $40,000 and when I feel like my 90D is a dinosaur go get a new Model S. But really my intention is to buy the car and keep it for 8 years and get rid of it the a month before that battery warranty runs out. So I feel like if I spend the huge huge huge bucks and get the P100D I'll be set for 8 years but at an inordinate sum. I mean for that money I could buy a Prius (base model) every year for 8 years. I think I know my answer but it would be nice to hear other's thoughts. Why go P? Once you go P do you every go back?

HELP!
For socal residents: range is really important. Socal drivers think nothing of going 1-2 hours drive for whatever, and so daily range is useful. Socal driving and distances are very different as compared to rest of the country, including the bay area. With that in mind, wait for a 100d, or get a new unregistered 90D from inventory-to maximize value. I loved the MS p85d i had as a loaner once, but the depreciation with the performance model is higher--as is the case with many 'p' type cars.

Alternatively, get a P car that is used, some will be available in a 3-6 months, and a used car in socal, despite the mileage is hardly worn down.

Reactions: DIL