TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S accelerates faster than space shuttle

Discussion in 'Video' started by Patrick W, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

I hope this isn't too off topic but watching this shuttle launch video and noting the speed and time indicators it appears the "humble" P85D accellerates faster than the space shuttle. 'Course the shuttle top speed was a tad faster... :)

Riding the Booster with enhanced sound - YouTube

2. thimel

thimel Member

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Maybe it's a roll-out issue with the measurements...

4. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Referring to the shuttle taking 4.2 seconds for 0-60 MPH vs P85D doing it in 3.1.

5. Caligula

Caligula Member

Except the shuttle does that while fighting the full force of gravity, all while lugging around ~ 4.4 million pounds.

6. physicsfita

physicsfita Member

Point the car vertically, and assuming you can create a rig to keep it in contact with pavement, the car would only do 0.1 g acceleration. Or, point the shuttle horizontally, if you prefer. My money's on the shuttle. :wink:

7. eyespii

eyespii Member

How much hp does the shuttle have? Is it running pre-release firmware? Does the shuttle have the pano windshield option? Anyone with a vbox can confirm?

too many questions, not enough info. Let's not jump to conclusions. Someone tweet Elon?

8. LargeHamCollider

LargeHamCollider Battery cells != scalable

Oh stop raining on the man's parade:wink: It takes the shuttle longer to get to 60mph and in that narrow sense the OP is correct.

9. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

With rockets and jet engines HP is kind of a meaningless term. You measure pounds (or Newtons) of thrust instead. The main engines produce about 500,000 pounds of thrust each and the total thrust is 1.2 million pounds according to NASA. The acceleration is low at first because it is lifting a heck of a lot of fuel, as the fuel gets burned off (very quickly), the thrust to weight ratio increases dramatically, which increases acceleration.

I believe the 85D and 90D are rated at 4.1s 0-60.

10. ScepticMatt

ScepticMatt Member

11. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

I know brianman was kidding, but I guarantee you NASA is --NOT-- using roll out figures. So in the interest of allowing people to make a fair comparison, in case anyone is shopping for the two vehicles, the correct numbers would be:

Space Shuttle: 4.2 seconds, 0-60, no roll out
    P85D: 3.4 seconds, 0-60, no roll out

The P85D still wins, but not by as much.

I'm guessing the Space Shuttle takes the quarter-mile. As far as passing speed goes, the Space Shuttle makes the P85D look like it's standing still.

12. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

In case anyone is shopping for the two vehicles, the correct numbers would be:

Space Shuttle: 4.2 seconds, 0-60, $450 million - using NASA's lowball number.
    P85D: 3.4 seconds, 0-60, $110,700 - an unloaded P85D.

The P85D wins, by a whole lot.

:biggrin:

13. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

That's an unfair comparison ;-). You're using the "per-launch" number for the shuttle, but the capital cost for the Tesla. Each Tesla "launch" costs a few cents for electricity and a bit more for tires. Add depreciation, and I can launch in the Tesla for much less money than a carnival ride at the state fair.

14. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

15. SR22pilot

SR22pilot Member

I'm sensing something funny here from NASA. Perhaps a lawsuit is in order over the public being deceived by the reported horsepower numbers.

16. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Man, that thing is so slow off the line. :)
    Sh!t gets real at about 120mph. That is some top end power...

Also, watch the whole thing, with the volume up. It gets freaky... And beautiful.

- - - Updated - - -

OT: the receiving end (how those boosters get recovered): Shuttles Boosters Recovered in HD - YouTube

17. gimmi80

gimmi80 Member

ICE and EPE (External propulsion engine) are dead! The future is pure EV with limited applications for fuel cells!
    :wink:

18. edo

edo Member

EV is tough to use as a launch vehicle though... :wink:

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

"It's totally legitimate to make up terms like 'land horsepower' and 'air horsepower' and then just use the simplified 'horsepower' when comparing the two vehicles because if people confuse them it's because they didn't do their research properly and should only blame themselves."

Too soon?

20. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I'd just really REALLY appreciate if one thread's angst didn't start showing up in other threads. :)