Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Accident/Fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd think the frunk plastic bin would melt, puddle, and burn if it was hot enough + aluminum too. At least the passenger cabin in every 'accident' has been completely intact from what I have seen

Yes, even if it was catastrophic cascade in the main pack, it still validated the basic design of the car. Tesla can just send them a warranty replacement and then determine the root cause to see if they need to do a recall.

Wow. This is amazing. So much speculation on so little evidence.

My personal theory is that, in a freak occurrence, a cosmic ray struck an electron in the a power wire (negative/ground) just as it was leaving the A/C compressor motor. This confused the electron and caused it to pause for a split second to ponder its next move. All the electrons behind it then backed up (stooge-style), causing the A/C unit to run backwards and turn into a heater. The heat built up, melted through the insulation on the 12V battery line, which shorted to the body. Since the body is aluminum and aluminum is not as good a conductor as copper, this contributed more heat. Eventually, the insulting boot on the positive terminal of the 12V battery melted and caught fire. The fire spread and the result, obviously, is what we all saw in the video.

Can anyone cite any "evidence" provided by the video or stills to refute my theory? (no fair citing physics texts)

Or, maybe we can wait until somebody involved in whatever happened tells us something concrete.

Wow. This is amazing. So much speculation on so little evidence.

My personal theory is that, in a freak occurrence, a cosmic ray struck an electron in the a power wire (negative/ground) just as it was leaving the A/C compressor motor. This confused the electron and caused it to pause for a split second to ponder its next move. All the electrons behind it then backed up (stooge-style), causing the A/C unit to run backwards and turn into a heater. The heat built up, melted through the insulation on the 12V battery line, which shorted to the body. Since the body is aluminum and aluminum is not as good a conductor as copper, this contributed more heat. Eventually, the insulting boot on the positive terminal of the 12V battery melted and caught fire. The fire spread and the result, obviously, is what we all saw in the video.

Can anyone cite any "evidence" provided by the video or stills to refute my theory? (no fair citing physics texts)

Or, maybe we can wait until somebody involved in whatever happened tells us something concrete.

Doesn't hurt anyone to theorycraft while we wait to hear the real story. It is interesting and very important to Tesla as a whole and the connection with Fisker and battery fires. Indeed I still have friends who think Tesla is the electric car the caught fire so this news feed does not help that at all.

I'm betting that Tesla Motors is all over this. We should know soon exactly what happened. In the meantime, it's interesting to speculate but that's all it is. Reporters and analysts scour the TMC Forum for information, so, when someone really knows what occurred it may very well be here, first.

There is an update on the jalopnik article:

Update: Here is a statement from officials at Tesla, who say the fire was caused by a crash that luckily injured no one.
P
“Yesterday, a Model S collided with a large metallic object in the middle of the road, causing significant damage to the vehicle. The car’s alert system signaled a problem and instructed the driver to pull over safely, which he did. No one was injured, and the sole occupant had sufficient time to exit the vehicle safely and call the authorities. Subsequently, a fire caused by the substantial damage sustained during the collision was contained to the front of the vehicle thanks to the design and construction of the vehicle and battery pack. All indications are that the fire never entered the interior cabin of the car. It was extinguished on-site by the fire department.”

There is an update on the jalopnik article:

Update: Here is a statement from officials at Tesla, who say the fire was caused by a crash that luckily injured no one.
P
“Yesterday, a Model S collided with a large metallic object in the middle of the road, causing significant damage to the vehicle. The car’s alert system signaled a problem and instructed the driver to pull over safely, which he did. No one was injured, and the sole occupant had sufficient time to exit the vehicle safely and call the authorities. Subsequently, a fire caused by the substantial damage sustained during the collision was contained to the front of the vehicle thanks to the design and construction of the vehicle and battery pack. All indications are that the fire never entered the interior cabin of the car. It was extinguished on-site by the fire department.”

That has to be one of the best official statements I've ever read.

Looks like we have an answer. Appears to be a pack fire (though its not stated as such, Tesla would have specifically denied it if it was not IMHO) caused by an impact with debris.

Update: Here is a statement from officials at Tesla, who say the fire was caused by a crash that luckily injured no one. P

- - - Updated - - -

If it was enough to rip through the floor pan, it would cause a short and a fire. Then the pack safety systems would vent the heat towards the front.

That has to be one of the best official statements I've ever read.

Except for what isn't said. Which is that they refuse to say whether the battery pack was or wasn't involved. Sounds like it was, and that's really the only thing that makes a Model S fire noteworthy.

It's good to read there was SOME kind of collision, so don't have to worry about the garage catching on fire. Still wonder how the fire could have developed. Maybe one of the gurus on the battery structure could explain... I thought it was encased in steel. Seemed to survive the NHTSA tests just fine.

Wondering if this will trigger calls for a new kind of NHTSA "road debris impact" test for EVs w/ large battery packs installed in the underside of the vehicle --- something that gouges the heck out of the pack. I've only put 2000 miles on my car so far and have had several near-misses with road debris that might've done damage to the underside.