Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Accident/Fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1

But I think it's wrong to dismiss this as a battery fire. The pack is designed to vent, and the vents are almost certainly all in the front. With a cascading failure the energy would be enough to be shooting flame out of the front of the battery like a blowtorch, (probably facing slightly downwards as well) which would eventually involve the entire front end.

CO, watching the video, do you think the fire patterns match that venting? Your post seems to hint the main battery actually could be involved here. I was thinking maybe they had regen off and caused a brake fire, but both sides seem to be equally involved from the video.

The front end is smashed and there is accumulated and burning debris on the ground and quite a distance away from the car itself extending to underneath the vehicle. This tells me that it was in a crash and the other vehicle was somewhere else (behind or to the side of the camera) or that it had already been removed. The only other explanation that would validate the front end damage is an explosion in the frunk compartment from whatever was stored inside. The car obviously did not collide with a pole or other stationary object.

I still think there could have been a collision. Watching the video it almost appears that the Tesla had pulled into the intersection and perhaps was T-boned with a glancing blow enough to turn it slightly as it's positioned in the video. We can't see the 'down the road' part at all, so there may be another vehicle, an ambulance, etc. that just isn't shown just out of the frame. That said, it's odd how it's just the front end burning. Unless the guy was carrying some sort of accelerate it's hard to imagine what would be causing flames that big, certainly not just the nose cone. I do hope the owner, or Tesla or someone posts up what was actually found here.

I thought it might be this at first, but look carefully where the car is sitting - it isn't in the adjacent slow lane yet. In order for this to be a glancing T-bone, the "other" vehicle would had to have traveled into the gore area and the merge lane where the Tesla is sitting to hit it. It doesn't add up. From what I barely can see in between the flames, there does not appear to be major deformation on the driver's side of the car.

I'm calling it a frunk fire, but I'm not an expert.

The front end is smashed and there is accumulated and burning debris on the ground and quite a distance away from the car itself extending to underneath the vehicle. This tells me that it was in a crash and the other vehicle was somewhere else (behind or to the side of the camera) or that it had already been removed. The only other explanation that would validate the front end damage is an explosion in the frunk compartment from whatever was stored inside. The car obviously did not collide with a pole or other stationary object.
I think the debris is completely consistent with melting plastic.

After some more thought, I think the brakes are unlikely. My guess is a 12V short. There was one buyer here that reported that a 12V short on his new Model S that drained the battery, and Tesla had to replace the battery and the defective electronics (A/C, IIRC). That could easily lead to a fire.

After some more thought, I think the brakes are unlikely. My guess is a 12V short. There was one buyer here that reported that a 12V short on his new Model S that drained the battery, and Tesla had to replace the battery and the defective electronics (A/C, IIRC). That could easily lead to a fire.

That would be concerning to me if so. My car is currently off to get a full battery replacement after the my 12v seemingly died. That would take it from annoying inconvenience to Neo-style bullet dodging since it died in my garage.

CO, watching the video, do you think the fire patterns match that venting? Your post seems to hint the main battery actually could be involved here. I was thinking maybe they had regen off and caused a brake fire, but both sides seem to be equally involved from the video.

I should take the advice of government officials who emphasize that we shouldn't immediately blame Al Qaeda for a terrorist attack.

That said, I don't see any evidence that is not consistent with a cascade failure of the main battery, but there are many other possible explanations. My point is that I think folks who are ruling out a battery fire are wrong to do so.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought it might be this at first, but look carefully where the car is sitting - it isn't in the adjacent slow lane yet. In order for this to be a glancing T-bone, the "other" vehicle would had to have traveled into the gore area and the merge lane where the Tesla is sitting to hit it. It doesn't add up. From what I barely can see in between the flames, there does not appear to be major deformation on the driver's side of the car.

I'm calling it a frunk fire, but I'm not an expert.

There isn't any debris from another car. There should be broken glass and brightwork scattered in front of the Tesla if another car was involved.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the debris is completely consistent with melting plastic.

A 12v failure is plausible. We have reports of 12v battery deformation.

There have been a couple playful posts about putting a gas powered generator in the frunk as a range extender - maybe someone took that seriously!

I'm no fireman, but the fire seems to be fueled by more than I'd expect in the front end. Could well be something in the frunk. Are the steering and brake fluids flammable once hot enough?

I was on that road yesterday in the afternoon but I didn't see the accident.

This area was hit with wind and rainstorms the day and night before the accident resulting in extensive power outages because the leaves are still on the trees. We had to run our generator for about 9 hours. I wouldn't rule out someone transporting fuel for a generator. Generators are virtually a "must have" in the NW.

How do you explain the deformation of the front end of the car? The metal of the hood is shredded and consistent with an impact or explosion. A battery fire doesn't shred metal. I bet something inside the frunk exploded, and my money is on a leaking gas canister...

Based on probabilities, I'm liking the 12v explanation more and more. That is a real, and known problem.

From what I recall from shop class (and my old Chemistry classes) the sulfuric acid in the battery can release hydrogen gas if it shorts, which could then cause an explosion. If that were to happen all of the plastics and fabrics in the front end could ignite and we could end up with this video.

Anyways, it seems more probable that a known problem that has damaged batteries enough to cause them to visibly deform could be the cause here, vs a failure in the main pack itself.

Though again, the fire could be consistent with any number of causes.

I should take the advice of government officials who emphasize that we shouldn't immediately blame Al Qaeda for a terrorist attack.

That said, I don't see any evidence that is not consistent with a cascade failure of the main battery, but there are many other possible explanations. My point is that I think folks who are ruling out a battery fire are wrong to do so.

- - - Updated - - -

There isn't any debris from another car. There should be broken glass and brightwork scattered in front of the Tesla if another car was involved.

- - - Updated - - -

A 12v failure is plausible. We have reports of 12v battery deformation.

Does the 12V sit in the middle or closer to one of the sides?

How do you explain the deformation of the front end of the car? The metal of the hood is shredded and consistent with an impact or explosion. A battery fire doesn't shred metal. I bet something inside the frunk exploded, and my money is on a leaking gas canister...

The hood isn't shredded. It's pitted. If you look at some of the Jalopnik photos/screen captures, you can see holes through it.

The hood is extremely thin sheet aluminum. A strong enough heat source from within the frunk will could cause hotspots that melt holes in the hood.

I have transported both propane (for a grill) and gasoline (for my lawnmower) in the frunk of my S. It is entirely possible for this to be the result of whatever was being transported inside the frunk and have absolutely nothing to do with the mechanics of the car itself. Hell I've even had bottles of liquor like Bacardi 151 which is flammable up there. one of those rolling around and smashing is definitely enough to catch fire on something. obviously that would have nothing to do with the car itself.

Fire1.jpg

You can clearly see where the hood has melted through. Those holes aren't from impact or shrapnel.