Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Accident/Fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Running over something large and metallic that rips up the underside of the pack could cause a fire for sure. The best containment systems will fail for a large enough breach.

I think this is good news. All previous Li-ion battery fires are caused by a single cell failure, which overheats, and causes a chain reaction to other cells. Elon talked about this specifically with 787 Dreamliner fires. He explained then that Tesla design uses smaller cells that are thermally isolated to prevent chain reaction fire. Other companies with the other design say that a single cell won't fail, Elon has said, "it isn't a matter of if, but when, so the cells need to be thermally isolated".

I think the fact that the fire remained contained (regardless of what started it) did not spread to the back of the battery pack is a sign that his designed worked as it should. As a scientist, I'm happy to see some evidence here.

:biggrin:

There are a lot of other components in the front of the car that could have caught fire with the right impact and damage. Seems a bit premature to call it a battery pack fire off the bat. If the pack were engulfed I think you'd see more of the car on fire, not just the front, especially since the main pack doesn't extend into the frunk area...

Subsequently, a fire caused by the substantial damage sustained during the collision was contained to the front of the vehicle thanks to the design and construction of the vehicle and battery pack. All indications are that the fire never entered the interior cabin of the car. It was extinguished on-site by the fire department.”
[/INDENT]

I think we can rule out a main battery fire... Read people, read.

I think we can rule out a main battery fire... Read people, read.

That was my point. My takeaway is that even if your car is in flames due to a flame shooter, the battery pack won't catch fire and cause entire pack to burn or explode. (ok, exaggerating for a point, but the images show a pretty roaring fire!)

I take that as EXCELLENT engineering!

I'm genuinely curious why you consider it to be a pack fire? The battery coolant is not flammable IIRC and the pack is designed not to cascade if one battery should catch fire.

The pack is not designed to have a large metallic object rip through it either. I agree, more than one cell would have needed to combust to cause a cascade.

That said, if this was not a battery fire, then the Tesla statement was PR malpractice. They must know that a battery fire is the primary concern, and if this was not a battery fire they should have specifically denied it.

Given that we have a cause (metallic debris) and a plausible effect (a cascading failure from a pack that was ripped open), I'll take that and run with my speculation in the absence of a statement by Tesla otherwise.

additional comment: I was joking about flame thrower because Elon used those words in his discussion of the battery guarantee. He said unless you intentionally try to destroy it, like take a flame thrower to it, he guarantees the battery pack for full warranty.

:smile:

oops, some one beat me to this!

Found it.

f13773aacafa11e280ff22000a9e2923_7_zpsdfebbe17.jpg

Of course the removed plastic tub and carpet would be the prime fuel.