Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S accident rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem with using crash rates is that nearly all crashes are due to bad drivers.

Cars that attract bad drivers tend to crash more. Cars that attract good drivers tend to crash less.

The car itself has very little to do with it.

• Informative
Reactions: Lex
Th bigger problem is the size of the data set.
The model S is still a relatively new vehicle with relatively few on the road, considering the average time between crashes, the data set is influenced in a large way by a relatively small number of events.

Yup and skewed in other weird ways. How do other cars react to new and novel vehicles? How do the early adopters of expensive high-performance cars drive? etc. etc.

Why does my car attract parking lot hit and runs, for example ;)

Th bigger problem is the size of the data set.
The model S is still a relatively new vehicle with relatively few on the road, considering the average time between crashes, the data set is influenced in a large way by a relatively small number of events.
True, but there are now ~100,000 S &X on North America roads so data is accumulating. A possible greater effect might be repair cost due to, among other things, aluminum. Luckily the Ford F-150 has made North American body shops acquire aluminium expertise. That doesn't help with tesla parts pricing or authorized shops. As far as actual probabilities of accidents, distinct from severity of damage, the driver is far more of a factor than the vehicle, actuarially speaking. The severity question is driven mostly by cost of repair and affects mostly collision insurance rates.
That said, my P85D costs about the same to insure as my previous Jaguar XK, which cost about 60% the price of the Tesla. Offhand I'd wager that people with colorful driving records find insuring a tesla to be painful.Insurance is one area where a boring record is best!

Yup and skewed in other weird ways. How do other cars react to new and novel vehicles? How do the early adopters of expensive high-performance cars drive? etc. etc.

Why does my car attract parking lot hit and runs, for example ;)
I have had a long list of bizarre and/or exotic cars, from Alfa Romeo to DAF to Morgan to a quite bizarre Zagato-bodied Lancia. Because I have traditionally had a clean driving record I have never paid highly for those idiocies. I must admit that I paid rather a lot to insure a Ferrari in the UK.