Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S accident - seeking advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did the door really come off with shear? It looks like the front bumper of the suv might have hooked behind the lip of the front edge of the door and pulled it off as you moved forward. Then the weakest link gave way, the hinge. It looked like it was perfect timing as the suv hit your front wheel and quarter panel, then hooked just inside the door. At least that's my thought.

Reactions: unbelievable
Did the door really come off with shear? It looks like the front bumper of the suv might have hooked behind the lip of the front edge of the door and pulled it off as you moved forward. Then the weakest link gave way, the hinge. It looked like it was perfect timing as the suv hit your front wheel and quarter panel, then hooked just inside the door. At least that's my thought.

You know what, you could be right. It's all going to be speculation for most of us in the end, but nonetheless it's concerning to me as it exposed my son to any potential incursions. I'll be letting Tesla know if they care to investigate, and in the mean time will count ourselves extremely lucky given that the worst of it is scratches and bruises.

If I've got it right, here are some other pictures. Sorry, but I'm not great with linking in pictures on this site - can't upload directly because of size restrictions and I've not bothered to find a photo compression tool.

IMG_20170303_1331158.jpg

IMG_20170303_1330017.jpg

IMG_20170303_1329499.jpg

You know what, you could be right. It's all going to be speculation for most of us in the end, but nonetheless it's concerning to me as it exposed my son to any potential incursions. I'll be letting Tesla know if they care to investigate, and in the mean time will count ourselves extremely lucky given that the worst of it is scratches and bruises.

If I've got it right, here are some other pictures. Sorry, but I'm not great with linking in pictures on this site - can't upload directly because of size restrictions and I've not bothered to find a photo compression tool.

IMG_20170303_1331158.jpg

IMG_20170303_1330017.jpg

IMG_20170303_1329499.jpg

Thanks for the additional photos. I think my physics is getting rusty, and perhaps shear is correct. But the first of the new photos shows that the bumper did hit the quarter panel and the body just ahead of the door. Then your forward force ripped the door off because it was hooked on the bumper.

Shear is what happened to the inside door panel. And maybe the hinge.

I'm glad your son is alright, but this may have happened in ANY car due to the situation.

I made an account just to post on this:

It actually looks like a failure of the door. The Nader bolt is still attached to the door frame. While that is what should happen, the lock from the door should still be attached even in a high impact crash. I would guess that the locking mechanism did not latch onto the bolt. The weakest part of a door is at the front where the hinges meet the sheet metal. If the impact came from the front I could potentially see this happening, however, the lock should still be connected to the Nader bolt. The entire point of a Nader bolt is to keep the door secured during a crash.

I was a firefighter for 14 years, a Vehicle/Machinery Technician (high level extrication training) and worked on a busy part of Chicago highways (294 & 55) performing a lot of auto extrications. The Nader Bolt on the door is the toughest part of an auto extrication. I might be wrong, as I'm not an engineer, but in my experience, I have never seen a car with a door that was off that did not have something connected to the Nader bolt.

If you do want another Tesla you could likely get a new car built quicker than getting your damaged car repaired. And you might be able to find a CPO and get it really quickly.

Actually, CPOs often have timeframes similar to new orders of 4-6 weeks. This is because they aren't refurbished at all until someone buys one. So you have to wait through that process.

Fastest way to get a Tesla in a situation like the OPs is probably finding an inventory car that is local.

Reactions: whitex and MP3Mike
Extruded aluminum is not nearly as strong as high strength steel HSS. :cool:
The diagram shows that the door bars were only on vehicles before mid-2014.

The way I read that diagram only the rear piece of extruded aluminum is excluded on the newer builds. (And the pictures he just posted appear to confirm that since it looks like the extruded aluminum separated from the door skin and stayed with the interior panel/car.)

The way I read that diagram only the rear piece of extruded aluminum is excluded on the newer builds. (And the pictures he just posted appear to confirm that since it looks like the extruded aluminum separated from the door skin and stayed with the interior panel/car.)

I think you are correct. It looks like aluminum door bar is intact although removed from the door structure.

upload_2017-3-5_10-33-12.png

What if the accident isn't your fault?

Your insurance company pays for the Tesla OEM repairs, then pursues the insurer of the at-fault driver. Whether your insurer can recover the actual replacement/repair cost, as opposed to actual cash value ("acv" = depreciated value), becomes an issue among insurers, or courts if they don't settle, and is not your concern. In BC, the courts will generally award the actual repair damages, without deduction for pre-loss depreciation, or post-reinstatement betterment, provided the repairs are done and an invoice is submitted from a reputable repair company. If the repairs are not done, or if the vehicle is written off, damages are based on acv and not replacement cost. Again, however, you can purchase your own "replacement cost" policy, but the difference between acv and replacement cost is paid to you by your own insurer, and not the at-fault driver's insurer, who is only liable for acv when your vehicle is written off.

My first thought when looking at this is that the chassis frame appears largely undamaged. It may well be torqued a bit but it likely did a good job of protecting OP's son in the passenger seat. I can easily imagine another car in this exact same scenario having the SUV, driven by the offending driver, halfway in to the passenger seat.

Could the impact and angle of impact have activated the door latch? What mechanism is in place to prevent that when the car is in D or R and how many scenarios can it reasonably protect from?

Sorry for your accident, I hope you are all ok.
I've inquired about the one that Tesla recommended, and the insurance company is claiming they won't warranty the work if it's sent to Tesla's recommended
What that means is, if you choose to get the repairs done in Tesla's recommended shop, insurance is not responsible for any delays, communication or the quality of the work done. If you have an issue, you have to contact to that shop directly. Which is fine, as Tesla approved body shops has their own warranty.

From pictures, it looks like write off to me. Or, considering recent part delays, 4 months repair job.

Sorry for your accident, I hope you are all ok.

What that means is, if you choose to get the repairs done in Tesla's recommended shop, insurance is not responsible for any delays, communication or the quality of the work done. If you have an issue, you have to contact to that shop directly. Which is fine, as Tesla approved body shops has their own warranty.

From pictures, it looks like write off to me. Or, considering recent part delays, 4 months repair job.

Thanks xborg - everyone came out of it without significant injuries, only minor cuts from flying glass and bruises. The car has been written off and, in fact, I am impatiently awaiting delivery of it's replacement in the next week.

Wow wouldn't have expected this to be a total loss. Glad you are OK.

Initial cost of repairs factored into it I think - $88000 Canadian dollars on an initial assessment, most likely would have gone up. Damage to the A and B pillars, some bending of the structural frame, no idea about battery pack damage. Plus the other driver was charged with driving without care meaning it was her insurance's tab.

I'd say that overall the car did it's job to protect us (the B pillar and the base frame below the door held back the SUV's bumper from intruding into the cabin), although I would have preferred to see the brace hold up better in the passenger door.

Glad that your all ok, that is crazy I don't think I have ever seen a tesla door come off because of an accident. Not meaning to be a douche but are those the new arachnid rims and in grey that got ruined?

I was stunned for a good long time seeing the door embedded in the hood of the SUV. Sorry, but those are not the Arachnids - they're RSSW Xenon 19" in grey. Fairly close in design, but 19" instead of 21". Both on the passenger side got damaged. ABW871XGM

What was the end result?

Sorry, I guess I didn't conclude it.

The car was written off. I managed to get a decent payout so got another Model S (as shown in my signature). I would say it was the best possible outcome of a bad situation. No lingering effects for the kids or health either.

The only downside is that I don't think the driver of the other vehicle learned from it.