Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you guys/gals ever watched a craftsman with an English Wheel? There are people in this world that can do magic with aluminum (including welding a split during the rework). Perhaps we should start talking with repair shops that do old Ferrari restorations or those that do repairs on current 360-458s. A full panel replacement for that small a ding seems a bit much.

[OT, sorry...]

Keep in mind, young mnx, that we old guys have been waiting a lot longer than you for a car like Model S to come along. Long ago I had to put in my time with an execrable VW Dasher Wagon, for instance. I'd have been better off with a Buick. :cool:

I hope that Tesla don't get same reputation as is with other maker of powerful sedans: BMW*

Old BMW = Young reckless driver.
New BMW = Older reckless driver (possibly having a midlife crisis).

*(at least here at Finland)

Insurance companies will wise up shortly. The car is hugely powerful and weighs a bunch. Its ability to build energy is unbelievable. It is one thing to accelerate like this in a four wheel drive 911. It is a completely different thing to do it in MS.

I've been ask by friends how I can drive like I do on the track and be so docile on the road. It's easy to understand. I've wadded cars on the track and have a deep appreciation for energy. The debris field associated with a 4300lb street car that has an issue at 130 mph is amazing. The damage that mass can do to another car is scary.... So, I just do not put myself in that position.

Most people have not been exposed to the consequences of these decisions nor the technical side of why MS is SOOOOO much worse. They just know that the car goes like stink and will spank most anything on the road (and I'll show you).

Add to this the exorbitant repair costs (body alone with no mention of a damaged battery) and you can bet rates will blow right by an M5 in short order.

I don't like how people are posting threads of Model S accidents. This is not going to help us get low insurance rates by publicizing vehicle accidents with this car. Given the small number of these cars that have shipped (fewer than 15,000), I'm shocked at how many head-on collisions are being reported. I fear that Model S will get a reputation of being driven recklessly, which will spike insurance rates on this car. Wait until the insurance companies start replacing some Model S windshields as well, right now I pay $15/mo for windshield replacement but the insurance carrier has no idea that a Model S windshield costs almost $1,000.

Amped,
They do not need us to highlight accidents. They know much more and see much more than we will ever see. They talk among themselves on this stuff in an effort to better asses risk.

I think the accident pictures do more to help people understand the underpinnings of Tesla safety work on MS. Nothing speaks louder than actual results. IMO this outweighs any negatives associated with posting.

I made my comments on insurance to highlight the "it is not if but when" element of insurance rates and why I felt that way.

Last edited:
The major driver of cost for accidents/insurance is likely the bodily personal injuries rather than the car body damage. The majority of "accidents" are the little plastic bumper cover repairs. These cost much less than other cars having intrusion into the engine. I fixed my bumper out of pocket as I scraped it on my own garage door. Any other car would have stayed scaped for life. My Prius has 20 large dents from hail 5 years ago.

I hope my safe driving does not become expensive because of reckless behavior. The small number of Model S cars will prevent jumps in the insurance for a few years. The very safe interior of the car will also count in our favor when costs are accounted by insurance companies.

I think the accident pictures do more to help people understand the underpinnings of Tesla safety work on MS. Nothing speaks louder than actual results. IMO this outweighs any negatives associated with posting.

Also, some of the pictures are reminders not to be reckless with Model S. This is a big car with a powerful motor. Everyone should remember this, because this car can do a lot of damage if driven improperly.

I don't like how people are posting threads of Model S accidents. This is not going to help us get low insurance rates by publicizing vehicle accidents with this car.

The insurance companies get their statistics through far more reliable sources than these forums. Trust me, they know much better than we do what the accident statistics are for these cars.

Personally I am very reassured by these reports. These are very serious accidents and people are walking away from them.

Someday someone will be killed in a Tesla, it is inevitable. But it's looking like your odds of surviving are very good compared to most cars.