Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@NeverEnough, that just makes me want to cry.
(sniff)

But, can I ask you to share the details of your dashcam? The make, model, who and how installed? Many of us would like to learn from your experience.

BTW, I own the same color Model S. That hits too close to home. I hope you are well.

Last edited:
The unfortunate part was that the big F150 completely obscured NeverEnough's view of what was coming until it was too late. Ouch!

That is exactly what the experience was like. I saw him out of control and heading my way. I slowed and lost sight of him behind that truck. I thought he was going to go in front of me and then wham there he was.

His car came into mine I think about 45 degrees or so toward me with the corner of his front bumper on or just behind my front wheel. I had already moved close to the curb and he pushed me those few inches up to the curb. With my car braced against the curb his twisted around rolling his bumper flat against my side and then further until he ended up 45 degrees or more the other direction (additional photos below). During this his car hit or was his by another vehicle behind me in the inside lane.

His airbags deployed but mine did not. It makes since mine didn't because my car barely moved. It was merely pushed against the curb and with all the force simply held in place. There were no g's to protect against.

I wish I had pictures after they got it on the truck. The front left wheel was nearly falling off the car. It looks fine in the photo but it was significantly damaged. The right front wheel was at an odd angle too. On the subject of wheels, my car was in such great condition! I hadn't even scratched those great looking dark 21's and all 4 are now scratched or worse.

After the accident the car complained of low wiper fluid and that the traction control was disabled.

His car was a 2000 or so Honda Accord. The third car was a new Lexus IS which the driver had gotten last night (she was hysterically upset).

When he hit he was facing the other direction and indeed up like this:
9uteparu.jpg

Here he is from behind:
ety9upa3.jpg

Here's him and the other car:
pa2yhyzy.jpg

And here's me against the curb:
du8egeta.jpg

I am already dreading the insurance process. I think it will be totaled, but if it isn't I don't know that I will ever be happy with it.

If it is totaled what do I do? I have been browsing listings for used P's with similar mileage to find that they are asking nearly what it cost new. And I don't want any combination, I want my car back: a silver P85 with grey, dark wheels, tech, and sound. What are the chances of finding the perfect used? But the new ones with the same options are 20% more now.

It is disheartening to think it might cost a fortune just to get back what I had. I wanted to drive that thing until the wheels fell off (I had not expected this to happen until 150k miles or more).

Can't answer what to do, but depending on insurance companies involved, this may be close to a total. Repairing the Model S has been appearing to be 3 to 5x a normal car. But I'll let others confirm that.

At least you were in the safest car ever built.

This driver that hit you and then caused the crash with a brand new IS could loose insurance coverage, as this is as about expensive as it gets... and your dashcam footage clearly shows the car out of control. Also looks to be traveling significantly faster than the other traffic.

Interesting, all 3 cars are silver.

Was he/she speeding?
Was there frost or ice on the road?
Drugs involved?

Just trying to figure out how the car got sideways.

Can't answer what to do, but depending on insurance companies involved, this may be close to a total. Repairing the Model S has been appearing to be 3 to 5x a normal car.

yeah really. 4 new wheels/tires alone will cost ya like $8500, and that's not even including the axle damage. I think you only need 50% of value in damage for it to be declared totaled. considering damage to tires, axles, and ENTIRE left side of the car, yeaaa you're probably there.

There was also quite a bit of damage to the front end getting it on the truck. The wheels were nearly detached, so the front end dragged when pulling it on the truck. There were all sorts of plastic and styrofoam debris from dragging it the front end.

There was also quite a bit of damage to the front end getting it on the truck. The wheels were nearly detached, so the front end dragged when pulling it on the truck. There were all sorts of plastic and styrofoam debris from dragging it the front end.

So sorry to hear and see about this bad news. But glad you are okay and were unscratched.

I was rear ended at approx 10 mph while I was stopped. The lower bumper (grey piece above the chrome) and plastic bumper (above grey, below hatch) both had to be replaced, and the plastic was repainted. Gold Coast Auto in Chicago did excellent work and direct billed the other driver's insurance (State Farm). The bill was about $1800. The worst part was driving the rental for 4 days, including a trip from Chicago to Indy.

If it is totaled what do I do? I have been browsing listings for used P's with similar mileage to find that they are asking nearly what it cost new. And I don't want any combination, I want my car back: a silver P85 with grey, dark wheels, tech, and sound. What are the chances of finding the perfect used? But the new ones with the same options are 20% more now.
It is disheartening to think it might cost a fortune just to get back what I had. I wanted to drive that thing until the wheels fell off (I had not expected this to happen until 150k miles or more).

ya, that sucks. Seriously sorry for you. I hope mine makes it to 200k+ before the wheels fall off. I have been thinking about doing the dash cam since the wires are there, hope nothing like that ever happens to me. Or the other way around even more but I try to be 'prudent' with my speeds
xoxo

There was absolutely nothing you could have done. Consider this an "act of god" like a tornado or a tree falling on the car. Just be happy you weren't hurt and hope for the best.

Good luck.

Thanks for sharing the dashcam video. That was very enlightening.

I am already dreading the insurance process. I think it will be totaled, but if it isn't I don't know that I will ever be happy with it.

I think if it's totaled his insurance still has to get you all the same options to restore it like new, regardless of the fact that Tesla increased the prices and changed the bundles after your purchase

I think if it's totaled his insurance still has to get you all the same options to restore it like new, regardless of the fact that Tesla increased the prices and changed the bundles after your purchase

I'm no expert, but I don't think that's correct. They determine the value of the vehicle, including miles drive, then write a check. It never fully covers the cost of a brand new car. I looked into full replacement vehicle coverage before my car arrived and couldn't find any major auto insurer who offered that.

I'm no expert, but I don't think that's correct. They determine the value of the vehicle, including miles drive, then write a check. It never fully covers the cost of a brand new car. I looked into full replacement vehicle coverage before my car arrived and couldn't find any major auto insurer who offered that.

Well I'm no expert either I suppose (at least not in insurance). I did get robbed one time and the insurance company got me the newest version of the CD player I had becaus the older one was no longer produced, so I was under the impression they had to get you back to what you had before or better. Maybe I misinterpreted that.