Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For small things like CD players they may not deem it worth it to argue... but for a car they'll try and pay as little as possible.
I don't know how it works in the car insurance industry but when my father was burgled they just gave him a gift card with a prepaid value on it to replace all stolen electricals (stereo and VCR, etc.... this was quite a few years ago!) It was some round number like £150.

I wrote up my experience when my Model S was hit by an M5 at high speed. Tesla has posted it in their customer stories including a link to the dashcam video.

Some might recall the original thread from last year.
I missed that. Pretty incredible. You guys are lucky it didn't T-bone you. Glad everyone's OK. Looks like you upgraded while you were at it, so not all bad, I suppose.

Boy, i'm glad you didn't move further into intersection
Scary...

You and me both!

Lots of armchair quarterbacking on the Tesla Motors Board. Like "If you looked both ways, you'd see the BMW coming"

Where do they think I'm driving, on the prairie? The intersection is such that it's impossible to see more than 20 feet down the intersecting road; so it's impossible to see a car coming at 60 mph in this 25 mph zone.

Here's a pic of the intersection from the Model S point of view while at the Stop line. Can't see a car coming at 60mph without x-ray vision:
photo.JPG

Here is a Google earth view of the intersection. There's no way of seeing cross traffic without creeping into the intersection and exposing the nose of the car to someone running the stop sign.
Model S vs M5 Satellite View.png

Last edited:
GasDoc: Thanks for posting the daylight pic of the intersection. I kept my mouth shut (i.e. on TMC) after watching the video several times, but listening to you talk (on the dash cam audio) to your passenger about the car's features while it was clear from the dash cam that a car was coming fast from the left made me wonder...no second guessing it now! Thanks for clearing that up and very glad you walked away from the accident!

Thanks. My passenger (rear seat) is asking me the total range of the car. As owners know, there is no instrument to look down to see this.

My eyes were on the road--but there was nothing to see. The Youtube video has the sound edited so you can't hear my "HOLY SH**!!" exclamation when I do see the headlights approaching at high speed. But nothing to do at that point except brace for impact. Hitting the accelerator would have been fatal!

Last edited:
Well my Tesla p85 went into the shop today. Got rear ended just over a month ago. (At a traffic light. The driver behind me accelerated before I did)

Estimate was 18k. My insurance is covering it as the gentleman who hit me didn't have the limit to cover it.

Let's see how we go. The rental suburban I have doesn't even have central locking

A friend who is an active drag racer, having a look at my Model S, commented that "no one does aluminum repairs, so don't wreck it!" I haven't bothered to check that out yet. Anyone fixing real damage hearing that from the shops?

well a local owner in NJ just got quotes $45k for minor front end damage, sooo....either fraudulant shop or that's just going to be the cost you pay. if these kinds of rates stick, this car's going to start to be known as the 'car that gets declared totaled on every bump'. not really the reputation Tesla is seeking...

well a local owner in NJ just got quotes $45k for minor front end damage, sooo....either fraudulant shop or that's just going to be the cost you pay. if these kinds of rates stick, this car's going to start to be known as the 'car that gets declared totaled on every bump'. not really the reputation Tesla is seeking...

As long as it maintains its reputation for the car no one gets hurt in, I think the insurance companies will continue to be happy with the Model S. Even accounting for Tesla-sized repair or replacement claims, personal injury claims pay out 10X or more.