Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@PhilBA, insurance settlement done but criminal charges still pending with the DA. There is a chance that the other party doesn't know there is a video yet.

One thing that I am torn about posting the video is that the other driver is a 17 year old rising high school senior and the video has the potential of going viral.

While I'd like to see some punishment at the level of hundreds of hours of community service, suspending his license and instituting a curfew for a year, having his college application process disrupted by starring in a viral video seems somewhat cruel.

Too generous towards the kid that missed orphaning my children by 300 milliseconds?

Hmm, maybe if TMC members petitioned the DA suggesting an appropriate punishment?

@PhilBA, insurance settlement done but criminal charges still pending with the DA. There is a chance that the other party doesn't know there is a video yet.

One thing that I am torn about posting the video is that the other driver is a 17 year old rising high school senior and the video has the potential of going viral.

While I'd like to see some punishment at the level of hundreds of hours of community service, suspending his license and instituting a curfew for a year, having his college application process disrupted by starring in a viral video seems somewhat cruel.

Too generous towards the kid that missed orphaning my children by 300 milliseconds?

Hmm, maybe if TMC members petitioned the DA suggesting an appropriate punishment?

You are a very kind person.

@GasDoc - I am 100% with you re your balanced approach at handling the overall situation. The way I look at it is if the kid gets a good education, and does community service, gets handed down a curfew, etc, then he may actually redeem himself. Hats off to you for showing compassion given everything you and your family had to go through.

I have often wondered how kids get a chance to learn from their mistakes these days. I would be put under the jail today for what I did as a kid. Most of my transgressions were handled by the officer that caught me and I learned from those mistakes.

Thanks GD for keeping the tradition of raising our kids as a community alive.

I wish there were more people out there thinking about the consequences of their actions. You, Sir, are role-modeling that behavior. I think you got this 100% right.

Doc, If you want I can blur out identifying information in the video for you. PM me if interested. As the father of a college bound chikd I understand your hesitation.

Just talked with a person here, works for the sole approved body shop here in the Portland area for Tesla repairs. They have worked on 8 cars already. I asked if most of them are rear-ending accidents. Answer is yes. But I should have asked, are they all nose jobs on the Teslas, vs. the Teslas getting hit from behind. Wondering if there is a common thread with (PDX) accidents or not.

I'll find out more this Saturday.

I agree with the postings here. GasDoc is generous and compassionate person. I experienced it first hand at TESLIVE with his generous offers to help me (and my wheel chair) get around. I'm glad you are still here, and applaud your honor sir.

It was great meeting you @ Teslive. You have a generous heart and you're scoring on the EQ test! I'd say contact the family and speak to the kid directly to show him the vid. This will be a rude awakening for him and I'm sure if he has any sense, he will change.

I like your approach. Even though you could respond with an action with a consequence equal to what his almost did, you have chosen to respond more equally to his intention. His foolish lack of thought led to an accident. If you posted this, knowing what it would do would be an escalation, not an equal response.

It was great to chat with you about this at TESLIVE, GasDoc. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Just talked with a person here, works for the sole approved body shop here in the Portland area for Tesla repairs. They have worked on 8 cars already. I asked if most of them are rear-ending accidents. Answer is yes. But I should have asked, are they all nose jobs on the Teslas, vs. the Teslas getting hit from behind. Wondering if there is a common thread with (PDX) accidents or not.

I'll find out more this Saturday.

In LA the body shop had that many car last August (two month into deliveries) Last time i talked with the body shop that had 12 in the shop at that time. A guy at Supercar Sunday to me his shop was going to be the 2nd approved Tesla shop here. Accidents happen.

And the Roadster was also plagued with nose damages. Most guesses were that the acceleration was more than people are used to.

Saw this one just now...in Murfreesboro TN...

http://wgnsradio.com/one-car-crash-downs-utility-pole-and-closes-thompson-lane-cms-14372

crash1.jpg
crash6.jpg
crash2.jpg
crash3.jpg
crash4.jpg
crash5.jpg

Wow. That car took out a hefty utility pole. Some selected quotes from the article:
One Car Crash Downs Utility Pole And Closes Thompson Lane
The young female driving the Tesla 4-door electric vehicle was stabilized at the scene and then taken to the ER at St. Thomas Rutherford Hospital.
The young female driver possibly survived because this car has a 5-star safety rating for front, side or rollover crashes. In checking the Tesla website, they note the high-strength steel and aluminum frame contribute to its crash performance. It appeared that possibly all 8 airbags had opened, plus this is not a lightweight car--it weighs a little less than 5,000 pounds.
Before police could release the electric vehicle to be loaded onto the flatbed wrecker, they had to secure information on how to turn off the Tesla Model S. Officials received technical instructions, and the all electric 4-door car was shut down.

My Tesla got bumped in a parking lot a few weeks ago, small dent (3 inches on rear quarter panel just above the plastic bumper and about 4 inches forward from the corner of the car). Hit and run incident with no witnesses. The aluminum was cracked, so they have to replace the panel. Total cost is a whopping $12K!!

When I spoke with the body shop doing the repair work, I noticed about 9 Teslas there. They said that most were there from front end scrapes going into and out of garages! A couple of others from rear-ending another car. I didn't notice any with rear-end damage, although they may have just been tucked away in the garage, not the storage lot, where I was.

My car goes into the shop in a few days, and they estimate about 2 weeks to do the repair. Worst part is that I have to get all new HOV stickers for CA. A real PITA.

IMG_2002.jpg
IMG_2003.jpg