Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I came across a 2014 MS P85+ with 41K miles for $57K. The car is in showroom condition and it's fully loaded with the exception of AutoPilot (see image). I have a few questions...

1. Price. Is it reasonable?
2. Auto Pilot. Must have? Those of you that don't have it, do you regret not getting it?
3. Dealership. Spoke to manager and he said that remaining warranty transfers over. Is this correct if buying from the dealer? What's the ESA that other posts mention?
4. This car vs a new ready to configure M3? I actually configured and ordered an M3 last week but for some strange reason, my order didn't go through (Tesla rep told me to try again a few days). In that timeline, this MS came on the market.

At that price, the MS will probably go fast, but I want to make an educated decision before moving forward or re-placing my M3 order.

Looking forward to the advice.

Attachments

• MS.jpg
    MS.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 76
One comment: many horror stories here of Teslas purchased from non-Tesla stores (dealers). Be sure to check the car out carefully and check on the warranty. Call the main Tesla number (get the VIN) and see if the warranty is transferable, for example. 877-79TESLA

Me, I'd much rather get a new 3 or a CPO Tesla (in good shape) from Tesla. But everyone has their own priorities.
And I'd say Autopilot is one of the major reasons to get the car. Image doesn't say 'no AP' (it says no AP2), but 2014 might. I don't recall offhand when AP1 started.

Good luck!

Edit: You say 'dealership'... Is this Tesla or what? They don't have dealers, which is why the confusion...

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
I came across a 2014 MS P85+ with 41K miles for $57K. The car is in showroom condition and it's fully loaded with the exception of AutoPilot (see image). I have a few questions...

1. Price. Is it reasonable?
2. Auto Pilot. Must have? Those of you that don't have it, do you regret not getting it?
3. Dealership. Spoke to manager and he said that remaining warranty transfers over. Is this correct if buying from the dealer? What's the ESA that other posts mention?
4. This car vs a new ready to configure M3? I actually configured and ordered an M3 last week but for some strange reason, my order didn't go through (Tesla rep told me to try again a few days). In that timeline, this MS came on the market.

At that price, the MS will probably go fast, but I want to make an educated decision before moving forward or re-placing my M3 order.

Looking forward to the advice.

1. I would guess that might be a little high? I bought a 2013 P85 (non plus) with 40K miles in December 2016 for $59K from Tesla via the CPO program. I would think over a year later, the prices on the pre-AP cars would be a little lower than $57K. Unless you really want that plus suspension.

2. TACC is a must have. Autosteer can go either way, but I love TACC. I did regret not waiting for an AP 1 car once my husband got his and I saw how nice it was.

3. Manufacturer warranty will transfer unless the car is marked as a salvage. Call Tesla to verify. You will not be able to purchase Tesla's extended warranty, and other than CarMax (very recently), they are the only game in town for extended warranties on Tesla's

4. It depends on why you want an S? Are you looking for more space, hatchback, etc? If so, I would get the S. Otherwise, I love my 3 and do not regret no longer having my 2013 S at all.

Only you can answer if Autopilot is a must have. I think that price is high for an S without AP. Rent one on Turo.com for ~$100 (depending on where you live) and find out what options are your must haves. We rented a 2015 60Kwh S for a trip to verify we could really road trip in a Tesla, and discovered our must haves were: AP, >60Kwh, and no executive rear seats. YMMV.

Thanks for all your input folks.

Image doesn't say 'no AP' (it says no AP2), but 2014 might. I don't recall offhand when AP1 started.
I verified with the dealership and they said no AP.

Edit: You say 'dealership'... Is this Tesla or what? They don't have dealers, which is why the confusion...
This is a dealership (Non-Tesla).

It depends on why you want an S? Are you looking for more space, hatchback, etc?
I do like the extra room in the MS. I often have 4-5 passengers (adult/teen mix) and feel the 3 might be too tight.

Rent one on Turo.com for ~$100 (depending on where you live) and find out what options are your must haves.

That's a great idea. I'll look around for a MS and M3.

What I'm getting is that the price may be a bit too high for the car, correct? Dealership said that they're a no haggle price place. What would be a fair offer on this car?

What would be a fair offer on this car?

Well, Tesla has a 2014 red P85 (non plus) with 24k miles for sale for $58,600 right now. That car includes the 4 year CPO warranty, which I would guess is worth at least $4k since that is how much the ESA costs. You could use that as a gauge for what to offer.

A note on the turo rentals: be aware that a plus suspension car is a much different beast than a standard floaty air suspension Model S. I don't know if you have test driven the dealer car yet, so be aware it may ride quite a bit different than anything you rent.

I say with that kind of money, pick up the long range model 3 and get the tax credit to make it cheaper. You will have superior range and probably much better and newer technology car compared to the non autopilot p85+. The model 3 can and will fit 5 and most say there is more headroom for the model 3 than the model s. And you get full warranty compared this.

Price is totally unreasonable. For that I would say low 50s at best. I would say closer to mid 40s would be fair price given there is no CPO warranty.