Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S aftermarket speaker upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 model s with the base audio. Has anyone personally upgraded there audio system with sometype of aftermarket product? The base audio system is just horrible all around. I’d like it to be ALOT louder with WAY more bass. What options are out there. I’m

I have a 2014 model s with the base audio. Has anyone personally upgraded there audio system with sometype of aftermarket product? The base audio system is just horrible all around. I’d like it to be ALOT louder with WAY more bass. What options are out there. I’m
Yep, here you go: Tesla Model S Audio Installation – event mechanics

Still have not got around to building the amp mount properly.

With a 12in sub and proper amp, it sounds pretty good. Definitely loud enough for me. I have a DSP ready to go but not sure if we will upgrade to MCU2.0 and keep this Model S or get a later model.

A fair number of people have installed aftermarket stereo components in the S. Best places to spend money are sound damping (helps even if not listening to the stereo) and an aftermarket sub/amp/DSP. I have the NVX amp/sub setup and think it's pretty nice, especially for just a 10 inch sub. Dedicated midrange drivers in the dash also help a lot, but the amp/DSP needed to drive them can be pretty pricey. Don't bother with the rear door speakers. They contribute so little to the overall sound that they're not worth upgrading.

There are definitely options out there but you have to ask yourself how much are you willing to spend or can you do the project on your own. 2017 75D with base audio, I knew I would upgrade the sound. I spent around 5000 which is very low for many of the quotes I received from reputable installers. Custom fiberglass enclosure, amp rack built into rear storage and had to have custom adapters built to hold the new speakers. KImat used for sound dampening. I get a little vibration from the hatchback when I crank it but overall it sounds great. System is about 2 1/2 years old and haven’t had to replace any on the components.

Focal Flax 3 Way (front speakers)
Focal Flax 2 Way PS 165 FXE (rear doors)
Focal Flax 10 Sub P25FE (Subwoofer)
JL Audio 1000/5 (amp)

Attachments

• C3425CB9-3024-4EA3-B65C-3F7792D805B2.jpeg
    C3425CB9-3024-4EA3-B65C-3F7792D805B2.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 549
  • B3894EEE-32DA-463F-BEBC-1B1A905400DC.jpeg
    B3894EEE-32DA-463F-BEBC-1B1A905400DC.jpeg
    685.1 KB · Views: 363
  • A440F053-3931-404E-9546-81F95C4F9F5E.jpeg
    A440F053-3931-404E-9546-81F95C4F9F5E.jpeg
    487.3 KB · Views: 358
  • 4541617E-75E8-4C8B-B5C8-D1ED84695391.jpeg
    4541617E-75E8-4C8B-B5C8-D1ED84695391.jpeg
    458.7 KB · Views: 327
  • 2E6FAD6C-1C36-4B86-A86B-01A6C631CFE8.jpeg
    2E6FAD6C-1C36-4B86-A86B-01A6C631CFE8.jpeg
    547.6 KB · Views: 319
  • 381A4C46-5732-46D2-BA0A-BBF5ABD86B12.jpeg
    381A4C46-5732-46D2-BA0A-BBF5ABD86B12.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 333
  • EC4797D0-2E7D-4EC4-B15D-009F723412C2.jpeg
    EC4797D0-2E7D-4EC4-B15D-009F723412C2.jpeg
    590.9 KB · Views: 299
Reactions: Wesexcellence
Upgrades are a sliippery slope for sure. Installing new speakers is pretty simple, though getting to the midrange drivers in the dash requires some dash components to come off.

Some people are happy with Light Harmonic speakers, though they are pricey. A set of speaker adapters will run you around $120 or so, and those are not needed with the LH drivers so that helps take the edge off, though they are still expensive. At least they let you order only two speakers now. I would not advise anyone to replace the rear door speakers. If one of yours has failed, I would rehome one of the front door speakers to the rear and purchase new speakers for the front. You'll want something with low impedence to make the most of the factory amp.

We believe our speakers are the best option out there. Our engineers who created Da Vinci DAC and OSCAR XXI headphones also helped to improve the sound you will receive in your Tesla after installing the our speakers.
Our page on Amazon or our website is the place where you can place the order.

Attachments

• 71nLo1XeWvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71nLo1XeWvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 343
We believe our speakers are the best option out there. Our engineers who created Da Vinci DAC and OSCAR XXI headphones also helped to improve the sound you will receive in your Tesla after installing the our speakers.

Hey @Light Harmonic , any chance you guys will have a Black Friday promotion on the speakers?

Any are these compatible with the 2021 model S?

Last edited:

I'm still waiting for you to share how you are supporting existing LH amp owners for MCU2 use. The silence has been deafening.

Hey @Light Harmonic , any chance you guys will have a Black Friday promotion on the speakers?

Any are these compatible with the 2021 model S?
And yes, they are compatible with 2021 Models.
I'm still waiting for you to share how you are supporting existing LH amp owners for MCU2 use. The silence has been deafening.
We are working to deliver upgrades for current customers who upgraded their car to MCU2 and they will be fulfilled soon.

best way to do this diy, fast and easy -
1. use existing speaker housing after breaking out old speaker and brackets until you have a hollow piece.
2. use 1.5 inch screws to mount aftermarket 6.5 speakers plus a large zip tie to secure in place.

73F815F0-F96A-466B-8E11-F18F5702B535.jpeg
067BB6EE-452F-416C-9341-B539A736C57D.jpeg

Hello there Tesla Patriots! Cap'n Electric here.
Yes, there is a substantial upgrade to the 'premium' sound speakers (s or x, 2015-2021)
that are installed. There are several great speakers on the market,

I've found a pair of 6.5 that blow away the original speakers for under $100 for the pair.
They are the Infinity Kappa 62ix series. I am not an affiliate, just trying to help.
Here is the link: Amazon.com
They are $99 usd at the time of this writing.
These have a spectrum far greater than the original speakers, they fit perfectly in 2015-2021 s or x.
If you'd like to watch a video on this check this out, again, not me, no affiliation, but I haven't done a video and this is pretty thorough, it shows the installation as well as the stats of old and new by the numbers.
The difference is vast, it is well worth your time to upgrade.
Old speakers technically speaking were missing low and upper ranges as well as the power is also limited.
Please reference the video, pay particular attention to the magnet on the original premium speaker (tiny),
compared to the Infinity speaker, which is almost 4x of that magnet.
Hope this helps, my name is John Trusello, if you'd like to hit me up with any tech questions, i'm sometimes here,
and will try to answer, i am not and have not been a tesla tech, i was a nuclear weapons tech and a quality assurance inspector in the navy and have taken the s and x apart without a manual.
I wish tesla asked for my help with some of the design, there are flaws on the tesla s handle, should have been metal innards, and the x has an issue with the upper control arm, 2 part seal, not sure why, seems to always degrade over time.
Anyway, here is the link to the video :

Yes, there is a substantial upgrade to the 'premium' sound speakers (s or x, 2015-2021)

I've found a pair of 6.5 that blow away the original speakers for under $100 for the pair.
They are the Infinity Kappa 62ix series. I am not an affiliate, just trying to help.
These have a spectrum far greater than the original speakers, they fit perfectly in 2015-2021 s or x.
If you'd like to watch a video on this check this out, again, not me, no affiliation, but I haven't done a video and this is pretty thorough, it shows the installation as well as the stats of old and new by the numbers.
Old speakers technically speaking were missing low and upper ranges as well as the power is also limited.
Please reference the video, pay particular attention to the magnet on the original premium speaker (tiny),
Hope this helps, my name is John Trusello, if you'd like to hit me up with any tech questions, i'm sometimes here,
and will try to answer, i am not and have not been a tesla tech, i was a nuclear weapons tech and a quality assurance inspector in the navy and have taken the s and x apart without a manual.
I wish tesla asked for my help with some of the design, there are flaws on the tesla s handle, should have been metal innards, and the x has an issue with the upper control arm, 2 part seal, not sure why, seems to always degrade over time.