TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S Air Conditioning Vibration

Discussion in 'Model S' started by chammerbeck, Jul 3, 2018.

1. chammerbeck

chammerbeck Member

I did a little research and it seams the air conditioning in the model S is quit noisy by default. I have a 2013 S85. Sounds like a jet when first started up on a very hot day on max fan/cool. SC was going to order one of their noise blankets but from what I read it barely helps. New mounts are available too....same result. My concern is that I feel a somewhat high frequency vibration in the pedals and the steering wheel from the compressor. Is this normal? Feel like my hands are getting a massage. Goes away immediately when I shut off the AC.

2. jeffpaul

jeffpaul Member

My 2017 S100 does that when it first starts up, but then seems to quiet down after running for 3 or 4 minutes. I'm assuming yours does the vibration thing constantly?

3. MacGreiner

I get the same consistent vibration in my 2015 70D

4. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Same with mine

5. Buster1

Buster1 Member

I feel it in the pedals, nothing in the steering wheel. Dec ‘17

6. MacGreiner

It's faint, but I can feel it through the wheel.

7. SSedan

SSedan Member

First time in the car a friend asked if there was a vibration to signal the car was on like an ICE vibrates, it was just the AC.

8. chammerbeck

chammerbeck Member

OK. Thanks for all the comments. Looks like this too is "normal". Undocumented-feature.....hand massager.
    My car just fell out of it's last and final extended warranty 73k miles. I do have my concerns documented with the SC and if it fails anytime soon it's covered since I started to complain about it in-warranty.

• Like x 1