Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Air Suspension Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to Tesla and have a used 2020 Model S and have been looking at the suspension screen. I noticed that it seems to indicate that the left rear is reading 2 inches higher than the right rear. See photos. The car seems to drive and park flat. When parked, the front seems higher than the rear but this could be normal. Does this seem like cause for concern?

Attachments

• IMG_20220615_162231.jpg
    IMG_20220615_162231.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_20220615_163346.jpg
    IMG_20220615_163346.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_20220615_164149.jpg
    IMG_20220615_164149.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20220615_164157.jpg
    IMG_20220615_164157.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 187
Does seem messed up. Have you tried running max to min to max to desired height.
You can also do a hard-ish reboot by changing tire config to something else and back.

Warning: if anything does go wrong on air suspension it usually fails spectacularly. So doing anything I just suggested could make things worse on a system that appears messed up. Might clear it too, who knows.

Park where you can easily get towed if you decide to experiment.

Reactions: Wol747
Thank you for the reply. I was no aware of any of those things as an option but I will research them. I should make clear from the tire photos that the car at rest does not lean left or right as you would think from the suspension readings. The front of the cars seems about 1" higher than the rear by looking at open space in the wheel well. The first tire pic is of the left rear while the second tire pic is of the left front. THe suspension readings are taken while in my garage so I know that floor is pretty level.

I tried changing the wheel size from 19" to 21", let the system recycle and set it back. Screen reading of suspension is still messed up. I did the max and min adjustment of the suspension and the car raises and lowers in front and rear and I still have the messed up readings. I have an appointment with Tesla to see if I can get it figured out. I think they are going to want $250 for the recalibration. Seems steep. The car does not lean to the right like the display indicates it would be doing but do you think the rear is sagging compared to the front or do the wheel well gaps normally look larger in the front?

Thx

you do not need the suspension screen to see the difference, I would take it to the SC and let them check it out because as other say, if the air suspension fail then it will be undrivable.

you can also try to adjust the ride height (not sure if the 2020 have this) but see if you still have the same delta.

I guess I am questioning whether that is real or not. Agreed that this would seem problematic if there was truely that much difference in the rear. Notice how the front is flat. Now can the back be 2" off left to right and this not be reflected up front either on the suspension reading or cause the car to lean? That is the odd question.

Posting better pics from around the car to show how it sits with suspension on high setting. Back sags a bit, which may or may not be normal but there is no left/right lean.

Attachments

• IMG_20220616_120704.jpg
    IMG_20220616_120704.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20220616_120726.jpg
    IMG_20220616_120726.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20220616_120746.jpg
    IMG_20220616_120746.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20220616_120802.jpg
    IMG_20220616_120802.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 171
I was going to ask the warranty question myself. I just went under the car and found an assembly error. Look at how the ride height sensor is attached on the driver rear side vs passenger rear side. This sensor is held in place by a single bolt and aligned by a tab for fast assembly. On the left side, the tab did not make it in the tab hole and bent the bracket.

Attachments

• Left Rear 1.jpg
    Left Rear 1.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 169
  • Left Rear 2.jpg
    Left Rear 2.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 179
  • Right Rear 2.jpg
    Right Rear 2.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 153
  • Right_Rear_1.jpg
    Right_Rear_1.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 208
Note Tesla always gives you an estimate even if it will be covered under warranty. Your car looks odd. Readings are odd. If all it needs is calibration then so be it. If something is broken it will probably be covered. Unless you are over 50K miles. Get it looked at ASAP.

Reactions: Wol747
I was going to ask the warranty question myself. I just went under the car and found an assembly error. Look at how the ride height sensor is attached on the driver rear side vs passenger rear side. This sensor is held in place by a single bolt and aligned by a tab for fast assembly. On the left side, the tab did not make it in the tab hole and bent the bracket.
Yeah that one sensor mount looks poorly mounted. It almost looks like the material from the hole that gets punched out of the bracket or the fender is still there standing up at 90 degrees and preventing it from bolting down flush. Not cleanly punched.

I’d be tempted to take it off and if that is the case, break off the flap of metal. Or drill it. Then reassemble. It’s hard to tell from photo but that’s what it looks like to me. One wheel way off might mess up the whole car.

It might still be incorrectly calibrated even if you fix it.

Make sure it’s in jack mode before touching.

They should cover that factory flaw though.

Has the car ever been in accident?

Well, the car was bought used end of May 2022 and had 26000 miles on it. Carfax says no accidents. I am thinking fixing it myself is a bit risky if I cannot recalibrate the car myself. Also since it is an assembly mistake, I am better off leaving it for Tesla to fix that way they will do the recalibration for me and might even throw in an alignment.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Well, the car was bought used end of May 2022 and had 26000 miles on it. Carfax says no accidents. I am thinking fixing it myself is a bit risky if I cannot recalibrate the car myself. Also since it is an assembly mistake, I am better off leaving it for Tesla to fix that way they will do the recalibration for me and might even throw in an alignment.
If you are handy, I'd give it a shot. If it looks like you can fix it. Probably have nothing to lose. It might sort itself out after that's fixed.

Looks like they owe you the diagnosis costs. If I were you I would just let them fix it and not touch it myself unless its undrivable and you know what you are doing, jackmode wise.