TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

model S air suspension to jack car

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by demundus, Aug 24, 2015.

1. demundus

demundus Member

I found a thread with some calculations in it, on how this might be possible with 21" wheels and maybe not for 19"... but does anyone know if you can use "Very High" to somehow get the car on jackstands. The little baby jackpoint makes me nervous, and I can't stomach 300 bucks for special jackstands when I might jack the car up once a year max... Just thinking outside the box :)

2. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

I don't see how that would work, since you would have to put the car in jack mode, which I thought would disable the air suspension. ???

3. demundus

demundus Member

I'll clarify, because I re-read it and it does seem confusing:

I'd want to raise it all the way up and then put jackstands or wood blocks or whatever (this is for like 30 mins of load), and then set it to low, then set it to jack once the pressure hits the stands. I don't know if the failsafes will let it happen OR if theres enough clearance to get the tire off... just curious if people have the hard numbers or tried before.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Unfortunately, you can't do it. This is not Citroen's hydropneumatic suspension.

5. Veggen

Veggen Member

The air suspension is not capable of lifting the wheels off the ground, it needs the weight of the car to compress it.

6. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

It's like going over a pothole - once the car senses a void underneath the wheel, it pushes the air suspension down. It won't allow you to lift the wheel up by lowering the suspension while on blocks.

7. demundus

demundus Member

Ok, makes sense... Jack and jackstands it is :(