TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S: Alarm system and dimming mirrors?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by tri335, Feb 21, 2015.

1. tri335

tri335 Member

Hey all,

Just a few questions as I think about pulling the trigger on a s 85D with tech package.

1) Does it have an alarm system? for example if i get my window smashed does it go off? does the app do anything with the alarm if there is one? or do I have to install a system aftermarket?

2) mirrors...do the side mirrors and rear view mirror automatically have dimming features? i have that on my current BMW and love that. basically that and heated steering wheel makes for a great drive at night.

thanks!

2. freemarket

freemarket New Member

#1 I am pretty sure it would alarm, #2 yes for sure. It's hard to explain, but I really like this feature, especially in the side mirrors on the MS

3. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

#1 it has a basic alarm wich goes on if a dor is opened or the car is moved. If you Would Like it to react on smashed Windows you need to add the optional alarm Pack - it's a cheap option, so just ADD it. I belive the newest version of android/iPhone app have the alarm pop-up. My Windows app doesent.

4. cynix

cynix Member

The optional security package is only available in Europe.

5. pimp-boy

pimp-boy Member

Has anyone tried to retrofit it into the U.S. version Model S? It would be great to have this motion activated intrusion alarm with backup. I don't understand why the U.S. would be excluded.
    Capture.GIF

6. cynix

cynix Member

#6 cynix, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    It seems the only reason they offer it in the EU is to meet regulatory requirements. I enquired about getting it for my Australian car and was told it's not possible.

7. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Can anyone tell me about what date the European Security Package option was offered in the EU Design Studio? I would like to update the model history WIKI with this information.
    Also, is this option only for EU customers? Do the Australian and China Design Centers have this option available?
    thanks
    Art

8. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

I belive It was pressent as an EU option from day #1 (when design studio was working) - I did order mine in may 2012 as one of the 500 first EU production cars (after the sig versions) and did order it with the security pack (delivered nov 2013)
    my upcomming P85D are without - eventhough it is a cheap option, I don't think Im going to miss it.

btw. this is not the only dif between US/EU/aus versions - knee air bag is only pressent in US I belive due to regulations

9. FireLT

FireLT Member

I can tell you for a fact that the alarm doesn't go off if somebody just smashes your window (personal experience! :cursing:) However, if the door is opened, then yes it does. But, if somebody just has to do a a smash and grab... it wouldn't matter if you have alarm or not. Within few seconds they will be gone. I did some research after my incident to find some window sensors and connect them into current alarm system of MS but couldn't find much on it.
    Btw my incident happened in DC also (Columbia Heights area) and just noticed you are from DC, so I can completely understand why you would want that.

10. tri335

tri335 Member

Thanks for all the great info everyone. firelt, sorry to hear about the window. Yes, depending on where in Columbia heights it's certainly a risk! Just thinking about some times when I'm out and do street parking.

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

If it's a regulatory requirement, it's funny that it's optional...

12. cynix

cynix Member

Perhaps the requirement is that they must offer it as an option? Anyway "regulatory requirement in Europe" is the reason they gave me when they declined to let me order it for my Australian Model S.

13. Racerx22b

Racerx22b Member

With the auto pilot hardware these seems like something that could just be added over the air as a software release.

14. SherSlick

SherSlick Member

FWIW all three mirrors in my P85D are electronic dimming. Not sure where the sensor lives, but pretty much anytime someone is behind me at night they "tint"

15. tri335

tri335 Member

That sounds perfect and like the dimming that I am used to

16. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Typically, and I believe this is true of the Model S, there are forward facing and rearward facing sensors on the interior mirror. The outside mirrors will simply dim in concert with the interior one.