TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S: All Glass Roof Customer Photos

Discussion in 'Model S' started by silver00, Dec 9, 2016.

1. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Me too.
    OK, silver00, I am blaming you and nobody else when I order my new car to replace mine. I had been dithering for a long time but you've just cost me many, many, bucks!:eek:

• Funny x 2
  2. houstonian

houstonian ಠ_ಠ

I hope so seeing as that's what I've got coming.

Read the reviews of the X and the S Pano Roof and based on those I was confident enough to give it a shot. Figured the worst case scenario is putting up an aftermarket sun-screen / visor. Maybe a hat. Also considering an additional layer of tinting as well but thinking I might give myself some time to assess if I need it.

FWIW I wanted the extra headspace (I'm ~6') but worried about the issues posted about the pano roof (noise, breakdowns, etc.) thus the all glass roof seemed an excellent solution for me.

Curious to see how well the all glass roof does with the cold...or rather keeping the cold OUT of the car (spend a decent amount of time in chilly Colorado), how loud it is in the rain (coming out of my old '06 TL you could HEAR the rain beating down on the moonroof when the sun visor panel was open), and how well it holds up impacts from road debris.

3. croman

croman Active Member

Elon, I believe, hinted that it is a product of Tesla Glass. They said Tesla Glass is a better insulating glass than normal and it is stronger. See my comment above about UV protection (it also is tinted). Aftermarket products likely will take a couple months at least.

4. silver00

silver00 Member

Proud to be part of the problem. :)

• Funny x 2
  5. Hrhkee

Hrhkee Doing research. Brb

6. Mo City

Mo City Member

Please keep me posted. I want to order a glass roof very badly and this is my one reservation.

7. Nimpo

Nimpo Member

It is terrific. The problem for me is that it does not have an electric panel to close which poses two problems:
    - In daylight, when the sun is on top the direct sunlight will probably bother kids in the back seat
    - At night, it will probably be at times very stimulating and affect sleep

8. dmode

dmode Member

I am a little bit disappointed looking at the pictures of the all glass roof and how good it looks. I had configured my car before this option was available but the car went into production after the glass roof became an option. The MyTesla design spec reflected that I was actually getting there glass roof and our delivery person confirmed this as well. But when I went in to take delivery I noticed the my car had the sunroof. Didn't make a big fuss out of it as I just wanted to take delivery and start driving, but would have preferred the glass roof

9. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

Tesla should really think about "Adding" A new feature to their car's its called "Power Sunshade" The only thing I dont like about the Pano, and glass roofs.

10. No ICE

No ICE 2016 S75D pearl AP1, & 2014 silver S85 AP1

The new all glass roof looks incredible! I love how it looks. I also never open my pano roof. We have the pano roof in our tesla and I am very pleased with how dark the glass is, cabin does not get hot or even warm. Does Anybody know if the all glass roof is the same type/ dark glass as the pano roof? I have not seen it in person yet to compare it to the pano roof. I assume it is the same.

11. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

My picture doesn't do it justice. It's so much better in person.

Attached Files:

• Love x 1
  12. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

I love it :)
    T minus 5 days :)

13. J1mbo

J1mbo Active Member

Is the tint the same as the pano? When the sun is at a certain angle, it reflects directly into my eyes from the touchscreen, even when the pano is closed. I imagine they can't do much about that, but worth asking all the same.

20161211_125615.jpg

14. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

That's because your steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car. ;)

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 2
  15. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Or, you're driving in the wrong direction. :p

16. 1208

1208 Active Member

17. Nimpo

Nimpo Member

No complains about direct sunlight from the younger people you have there? :)

18. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

It'll be here before you know it!!

I get a lot of "ooooh" except at night, then they can't see anything and they complain.

I'm not sure, but it's dark enough that it looks like a solid black roof from the outside in.

19. hariclt

hariclt Member

Got my on 12/16 with the glass roof.. Main driver was allergies - like the sun but not the pollen - add in hepa and you can imagine the difference between my old Honda and S ..So we had a cold night in Charlotte last night ... can't really tell that it makes it cold or less cold. The tint is heavy .. so it would have to be a very sunny day to end up noticing anything in the cabin.

20. Nimpo

Nimpo Member

Interesting, so at night it is really dark? They can fall asleep as with a solid roof (not stimulating / effect of the street lamps etc) ? (sorry but for someone who has small kids and wants peace at night to drive is TOO important :)