Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S and 2170 battery...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the technical hurdles to adapting the Model S to receive a battery pack with 2170 cells instead of 1680? Is it possible for current cars to be retro-fit should these packs become available? To me, it seems the height difference could be compensated by some combination of a new battery cover and OTA updates to the air suspension. I also assume the cooling system could be modified. What about the battery control hardware and software? What are the other challenges that would need to be overcome?

I don’t think there are any real technical hurdles.

But Tesla would have to devote engineering effort to developing a brand new pack design, and the S/X would then share the same limited supply of 2170 cells. I don’t think it makes sense for Tesla right now.

The one joker in the deck is Plaid. Elon said Plaid cars will have higher capacity packs, so unless Tesla is on the edge of fielding a significant chemistry improvement, they will be designing new packs for Plaid cars anyway, and it might make sense to switch cells at that point.

It's a lot like a hand transplant. Are the functionalities the same? Sure.

But there are so many intricacies, such as the bones being the right size and position that "doing it" is one thing, but "optimizing it" is completely another

There’s not much if any evidence to suggest that. If Tesla/Panasonic made a chemistry breakthrough in one form factor, why would they not use the same in the other?
Well something about the Model 3’s battery allows it to charge a lot faster than a S or X. I think that’s all people really want. If they could get it to fit in an 18650, nobody would care if the cells were different.

Reactions: ReddyLeaf and KJD
Well something about the Model 3’s battery allows it to charge a lot faster than a S or X. I think that’s all people really want. If they could get it to fit in an 18650, nobody would care if the cells were different.

Pack cooling, module configuration, charge port / bus amperage capacity, etc etc etc - there are a hundred different reasons why a car that was engineered and designed nearly 10 years ago might not be able to take a 250kw charge.

While I generally agree that charge speed is the performance spec most people are after when they moan about 2170 cells, there’s a non-zero percentage of folks who will never be satisfied because they’ve already internalized the idea that one is “better” and they don’t have it.

18x65mm

2170 has more filling for the same amount of ‘wrapper’. Since the filling is less dense then the wrapper, you get more storage for the same weight. It’s easier to cool the smaller cells but the 3 has a better battery cooling system overall and thus one of the biggest enablers of its higher charge rate.

Because it’s newer so people automatically assume better.

It really chaps my ass knowing there are cars out there driving around with batteries 5mm taller than mine.

It has nothing to do with size. It has to do with future-proofing the Model S. If Panasonic decides to stop prodcuing 18650 cells, current Model S owners will be screwed if their battery pack needs to be replaced.

It has nothing to do with size.
That’s what she said!
It has to do with future-proofing the Model S. If Panasonic decides to stop prodcuing 18650 cells, current Model S owners will be screwed if their battery pack needs to be replaced.
Of all the possible reasons, this one seems particularly silly. At this point there are billions of cellls in this form factor in circulation. So long as there is a demand for them, someone will produce them.

It has nothing to do with size. It has to do with future-proofing the Model S. If Panasonic decides to stop prodcuing 18650 cells, current Model S owners will be screwed if their battery pack needs to be replaced.

I’m not sure that’s realistic concern this year. Model 3 production has been limited by 2170 cell production capacity, and Tesla is still buying 18650s in large numbers for S/X production.