Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S and 3 Side View Comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just notice how much lower the windshield base is compared to the MS. That should have a big 'feeling' difference from inside (as remarked upon at the reveal)

The cab will feel really different to most other cars with the glass roof (especially at the rear) and low windshield - more like a glassy bubble!

Very cool, thanks for that. Any way to make the 2 images flip back and forth quickly rather than a morphing GIF?
I think this is what you're looking for.
Model-S-to-3-Side-Flip.gif

Interesting how the front doors are actually longer on the M3. I would imagine this is because of the dash being pushed forward.
Good catch. It does appear that the 3 front door is slightly wider. The leading edge of the 3 door is significantly closer to the front axle compared to the S. The trailing edge of the front door is also closer to the front axle, but not by as much.

The rear door length of the 3 appears to be very close to the length of the S.

I am very pleased with what we know so far about the 3, with the exception of the size of the access to the trunk. I can live without a hatch, but think the trunk opening could be increased slightly by shortening the front-to-back length of the rear glass. Of course I am just guessing. I'm sure Tesla but a lot of thought into that. Elon has said that trunk access will be improved in the production version, and I believe it will.

Thanks to those who created these overlay comparisons of the two models.

Reactions: ZachShahan
Since the reveal of the M3, I've looked around at current cars' trunk lids. I've noticed that a lot of them seem pretty small to me. I just haven't bought a sedan in a long time (since our last 1995 Civic), so I/we maybe don't realize that it has become the norm to have a pretty small trunk lid on a sedan.

I'd rather have a liftback myself. I just hope they don't ruin (what I think are) the already good looks of the car to make the trunk opening larger.

Since the reveal of the M3, I've looked around at current cars' trunk lids. I've noticed that a lot of them seem pretty small to me. I just haven't bought a sedan in a long time (since our last 1995 Civic), so I/we maybe don't realize that it has become the norm to have a pretty small trunk lid on a sedan.

I'd rather have a liftback myself. I just hope they don't ruin (what I think are) the already good looks of the car to make the trunk opening larger.
As a current Camry driver, the biggest thing I noticed about the trunk opening of the Model 3 is the depth. Width/height look fairly reasonable, but it's a very shallow/short distance from the beginning of the opening to where the glass cuts it off.

• Informative
the trunk may be deeper than the opening. It could go all they way to the back of the seat. I'm going to reserve judgement til I see a photo

As a current Camry driver, the biggest thing I noticed about the trunk opening of the Model 3 is the depth. Width/height look fairly reasonable, but it's a very shallow/short distance from the beginning of the opening to where the glass cuts it off.

the trunk may be deeper than the opening. It could go all they way to the back of the seat. I'm going to reserve judgement til I see a photo

I have no doubt the trunk as a whole is deeper than the opening. I have no problem with the trunk or opening as it currently exists, as I'm someone that is anti-hatchback. I just think the depth of the opening is the one place that could pose a problem with getting reasonably large things in that would otherwise fit in the space.

Reactions: Lunarx
Very cool pictures. Sorry, but I think the Model ☰ is higher than the Model S (look at the picture below) on the GIF they have the same level. View attachment 176135
I think the perspective in the quartering view is throwing you off.

The side view images are remarkably consistent which means that both cars were at the same height. What is not certain is if either car had air suspension and, if so, what height setting was selected.

• Helpful